2016-17 JGPF Ladies SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-17 JGPF Ladies SP

noidont

Final Flight
Gubanova and Zagitova are both godsends. So good. Thinking back Evgenia wasn't this good at their age.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
QUICK EVERYONE GO GOOGLE MATTEO GUARISE AND DISTRACT YOURSELVES

(I'm going to probably end up mentioning this at every competition ever even when he's not actually competing)

(PS: Still probably considered NSFW)

I hate you. :laugh:

he's umm......very pleasing to the eye though.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I've to say well done Kaori again: i thought she was the weakest here and now she is in second after the short program.

That would be a good one, to have a national medalist who can't go to worlds because she is too young ...

Zhenya Medvedeva won the bronze in 2014 and she was too young to go to worlds.

Kirei

On the Ice
Gubanova and Zagitova are both godsends. So good. Thinking back Evgenia wasn't this good at their age.

Each batch of Russian juniors is getting better! Evgenia was losing to Sima in the past, or at least they were at a similar level. Guess junior results don't count much in the end.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've to say well done Kaori again: i thought she was the weakest here and now she is in second after the short program.

She just won Japanese junior nationals...not exactly weak. I had Alina & Kaori 1-2 on my predictions, hopefully things won't change in the FS.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
The astounding difference in skating quality between Nastiia and Liza vs. Alina

The high score is understandable as Alina went clean here but I do think she should have lower PCS than both Nastiia and Liza.

Last edited:

Kirei

On the Ice

Zhenya Medvedeva won the bronze in 2014 and she was too young to go to worlds.

Wasn't that Radionova?

andromache

Record Breaker
Did Alina get a PCS bump for skating clean and Kaori didn't....?

It's really a shame that the best skaters in terms of actual skating and presentation here (Gubanova, baby Liza, and to a lesser extent, Rika) didn't deliver. Alina and Kaori's placements are well-deserved even if I'm unhappy about it. :biggrin:

(I do expect Alina to show up with more refinement next year. Eteri's girls rarely disappoint in that regard.)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Each batch of Russian juniors is getting better! Evgenia was losing to Sima in the past, or at least they were at a similar level. Guess junior results don't count much in the end.

Evgenia wasn't that good her first year at juniors, while Sima lost her jumps last year when she left Eteri to go back to SPB.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
What a level of skating! And all of these skaters were at JGP final for the first time.

Although the event was disappointed jump-wise, the talent of these ladies really should be appreciated. Such maturity and musical expression at that very young age for Kihira, Nugumanova and especially Gubanova! They have -hopefully- long careers ahead and it makes me so happy that we can -hopefully- watch them for many years more.

Zagitova was the clear winner, though the score she got is debatable. You can see the hard work behind this success, Ms.Tutberidze does her job perfectly once again. Respect her.

Really enjoyed Kaori's skating, her jumps are not small and she keeps improving. I had a feeling that she can be an unexpected Japanese olympian next season.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
This was a disappointing end to an afternoon of good quality junior skating.

I don't think Zagitova gave the best short programme performance I have ever seen ( for me that is Polina T in Tallinn this year) but they way the programme is constructed and all the elements executed she is going to score big. You have to hand it to Eteri her top lady is out injured and another of her team comes along and breaks the WR, it's like a production line she has. I'm not sure I would have her first on PCS. It will be interesting to see how she skates in the Free, she had a very poor second JGP event. She has the weaponry to win this easily but could also blow it.

Sakamoto had a nice skate for 2nd, I like the programme but I'm not blown away by it. Even with the fall (and missing the combo) I really enjoyed Gubanova, she is a joy to watch. She has work to do but can climb higher. Nugamanova, again an engaging performance but missing the combo cost her a lot of points. Kihira was very impressive early in the season but missing the combo it left the programme feeling deflated, I wonder will we see the 3A?

Wishing Honda a speedy recovery and hoping for 5 clean skates in the free.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Wasn't that Radionova?

Well yes it's called Russian Nationals 2014 although is in December of the previous year.

Lena bronze medalist at RN 2014
Zhenya bronze at RN 2015.

Both they weren't eligible for senior worlds.
Does Eteri's team accept foreign students??

I think so: Elizabet Tursynbaeva was one of her students until Russian Fed decided to coach russian skaters only because of the Sochi Olympics. (but now that rule doesn't exist anymore)

Last edited: