2016-2017 Japanese Nationals Men's FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Japanese Nationals Men's FS

carotide

Rinkside
I still think the field is fine and there are quite a few Skaters I enjoy a lot, but it really makes you wonder what on earth those people are seeing who wanted to petition to get Yuzu of the world's team. Do they want Japan to lose a spot for the Olys? Even the "Shoma has it in him to beat Yuzu/it just depends on who of them has the better day rar rar" group should see this field here would likely not earn a 3rd spot :scratch:

I don't know, without knowing Sota's condition I don't see many young hopes behind Hanyu and Uno.. I do enjoy some skaters a lot, particularly Koshiro Shimada, but his technical repertoire isn't really top class. Same with Kazuki Tomono.
Of course I hope they'll get better and improve as time goes by, but no one "catches the eye" the way others did.

Lys

Match Penalty
Yeah, I'm so sorry some of us are so invested in the skaters getting a fair reward for what they put out after all the work they put into this. How dare we have opinions.

It always makes me pretty :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: how being critic of a specific thing/competition = hating on a skater/being jealous/afraid/whatever

Personally, Shoma didn't do anything to me that I'm aware of. Didn't steal my sweets, nor my piece of cake.
Personally, I think he had way better skates that this one.

Do I think it is fair he won Nationals? Yes.
Do I think his score today (and yesterday too) is nowhere near what it should have been? Yes (and I put up some specific points about why I thought so, not even going into GOE/PCS stuff)
Do I think once upon a time JPN Nationals were less YOLO scores to the sky? Yes (sorry, I didn't think about putting up previous years protocols and videos)

But I'll keep in mind that it's rude not to be 100% complimentary to a skater (or to some selected skaters anyway), so sorry: Shoma had the best skate of his life out there, couldn't have been better. Thanks the Heaven and all Gods above and under to make me assist to such a performance.

Re Taka and Keiji, I think Taka is the best skater among the two (or at least the one with the better resumee) and the one with the best scoring potential. But looking at how this season (but also second part of last one) went, with Keiji medalling at NHK, taking silver at Nats, plus his sixth place at last 4CC, I think he deserves his chance to go to Worlds.

Re JPN men's field depth, I'm afraid I'm on the worried camp (Not that I care, me being a JPN skaters haterz and such :laugh:).

Last edited:

Khoai

Match Penalty
JSF must be dreaming to think that they can keep the 3 slots with the men today. Mr. Uno did not land any clean quad at Japan National. He had UR in 4F, 4T and 3A and had he been called it should have been a 180-ish score. Mr. Uno can not go against Mr. Chen from USFA.

He could outscore Mr Jin now and then because Chinese fed is weaker.

But USFA is way stronger than JSF. Mr. Uno and his quads with questionable rotation can not pass Mr. Chen who has much less pre-rotation.

And don't forget USFA can push the judges to punish Mr. Uno now that they have Mr. Chen who is technically superior. With Mr. Chen on the scene, Mr. Uno and his questionable technique might finally be punished, who knows.

The rest of their men are even worse. As expected, Mr. Mura bombed as usual. Kudo to the silver medalist though.

JSF clearly should not rely on their men today.

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
JSF must be dreaming to think that they can keep the 3 slots with the men today. Mr. Uno did not land any clean quad at Japan National. He had UR in 4F, 4T and 3A and had he been called it should have been a 180-ish score. Mr. Uno can not go against Mr. Chen from USFA.

He could outscore Mr Jin now and then because Chinese fed is weaker.

But USFA is way stronger than JSF. Mr. Uno and his quads with questionable rotation can not pass Mr. Chen who has much less pre-rotation.

And don't forget USFA can push the judges to punish Mr. Uno now that they have Mr. Chen who is technically superior. With Mr. Chen on the scene, Mr. Uno and his questionable technique might finally be punished, who knows.

The rest of their men are even worse. As expected, Mr. Mura bombed as usual. Kudo to the silver medalist though.

JSF clearly should not rely on their men today.

I dont dont know if the USFA has more clout than JSF when it comes to the Mens division. Afterall, when was the last time that there has been an American man on the Worlds podium? 2009 with Evan Lysacek winning the gold on American soil.

Nathan Chen has skated his insanely difficult FS clean once thus far. Let's just wait and see if his body can keep up with the grueling quads. It would also be nice if he could work on getting a reliable 3A ...

Khoai

Match Penalty
I dont dont know if the USFA has more clout than JSF when it comes to the Mens division. Afterall, when was the last time that there has been an American man on the Worlds podium? 2009 with Evan Lysacek winning the gold on American soil.

Nathan Chen has skated his insanely difficult FS clean once thus far. Let's just wait and see if his body can keep up with the grueling quads. It would also be nice if he could work on getting a reliable 3A ...
As long as USFA has a reliable quad jumper, and his quads are not cheated, they can find a way to punish their rivals who have much inferior technique. They can be stronger than JSF if they want. Now that their ladies are beyond help, they might push Mr. Chen as far as they could. And in this case, Mr. Chen has acceptable quad technique. His rivals will be punished.
That said, I agree Mr. Chen need to deliver more consistently.

Last edited:

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
Some of Yuzuru's fans here is acting out like Daisuke's fans did when Yuzu first overthrown him which makes Daisuke looks bad and now Yuzuru's fans makes him looks bad. It's a cycle of life. Yes Shoma's score is inflated but so is other nationals, but he is so far ahead of the field without Yuzu there, so this isn't exactly surprising that he won.

Why do these people need to be so rude to other posters by patronizing them with "LOL" and "I am so above you" attitude. Give it a rest already.

That aside, I am so sad for Mura~ but I can't help to feel excited if Keiji would be chosen to go to World for his 1st time, because Mura been there already.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
As long as USFA has a reliable quad jumper, and his quads are not cheated, they can find a way to punish their rivals who have much inferior technique. They can be stronger than JSF if they want. Now that their ladies are beyond help, they might push Mr. Chen as far as they could. And in this case, Mr. Chen has acceptable quad technique. His rivals will be punished.
That said, I agree Mr. Chen need to deliver more consistently.

Finding a reliable skater who is willing to deliver 6 quads (SP + FS) consistently isnt an easy task to take on. Chen's quad technique is average at best and the same thing applies to the rest of his skating. I think Chen needs to work on improving his PCS more than anything.

As long as Yuzuru and Shoma are thrown in the mix, there is just no way that USFA will have more power than JSF.

eta

Medalist
Some of Yuzuru's fans here is acting out like Daisuke's fans did when Yuzu first overthrown him which makes Daisuke looks bad and now Yuzuru's fans makes him looks bad. It's a cycle of life. Yes Shoma's score is inflated but so is other nationals, but he is so far ahead of the field without Yuzu there, so this isn't exactly surprising that he won.

Why do these people need to be so rude to other posters by patronizing them with "LOL" and "I am so above you" attitude. Give it a rest already.

That aside, I am so sad for Mura~ but I can't help to feel excited if Keiji would be chosen to go to World for his 1st time, because Mura been there already.

That's not a valid comparison since Shoma didn't overthrow Yuzuru. Sure nationals are always inflated but Japanese nationals used to be one of the less inflated ones, maybe some of us just miss that. Plus it's less about overscoring but more about URs not being called - again, happens more at nationals, but usually the other ones...

Very sad that Mura didn't get the title :sad21:

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
That's not a valid comparison since Shoma didn't overthrow Yuzuru. Sure nationals are always inflated but Japanese nationals used to be one of the less inflated ones, maybe some of us just miss that. Plus it's less about overscoring but more about URs not being called - again, happens more at nationals, but usually the other ones...

Very sad that Mura didn't get the title :sad21:

This is the kind of sensitivity I'm talking about. No I did not say Shoma overthrow Yuzuru but the behavior is the same during the time Yuzuru overthrow Daisuke got the difference? reread my text please. Shoma is nipping at Yuzuru's heels, even Yuzuru predicted/knows that.

It's your opinion to discuss that, what I'm calling out is the attitude of some posters replying to other posters by putting down thrm.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I am relieved that Shoma was not subjected to the unfavourable audience treatment at the venue that Yuzu faced when he first won Nationals.

And I applauded Yuzu for trying to diffuse the Japanese media loves of creating ugly rivalry with the 'ace' concept in a 2014 interview where the media said that he is now the ace and he replied that he does not want the ace title and "that going forward I think it's not about deciding who the ace is, but all of us working hard together which will shape the future development of Japanese men's figure skating". And he being a good helpful senpai to his juniors even though their goal is to beat him.

Unfortunately some still hate him till today, and they even willing to sacrifice their country :disapp:. I hope they didn't go through with it for the sake of Japan.

We’ve received news that some antis may be trying to solicit signatures for a petition to leave Yuzu off the World team. They are doing this at the Japanese Nationals and are pretending to be getting signatures for a blood donation campaign (Yuzu is Red Cross ambassador).

We are confident that such a petition will not work and will have absolutely no effect on Yuzu’s place in the World team. Nevertheless, we think we should give everyone a head’s up because no one should be tricked into endorsing such a malicious cause.

If you are at the Japanese Nationals 2016 and see this happening, please report the culprit to the appropriate authorities. Thank you. (source)

eta

Medalist
This is the kind of sensitivity I'm talking about. No I did not say Shoma overthrow Yuzuru but the behavior is the same during the time Yuzuru overthrow Daisuke got the difference? reread my text please. Shoma is nipping at Yuzuru's heels, even Yuzuru predicted/knows that.

It's your opinion to discuss that, what I'm calling out is the attitude of some posters replying to other posters by putting down thrm.

Sensitivity... same behavior... :palmf: I'm calling out incorrect comparisons... :palmf: Actually you know what I'll not continue this conversation.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Shoma... hmmm, he did good. Again not my cup of tea (specially that second half I thought his skating is disconnected to his music) but he did good overall. Congratulations!

Takahito... aww, that was-- unfortunate. But overall, I think he was still able to give a nice performance.

Keiji... hmm, I think he's had the better skate. Like the sp, there's a better connection to his music here than his previous competitions. It'll be great if he can join the Worlds team.

Ryuju... the first time I saw this program, he fell often on his jumps and now he falls less. There is a nice amount of grace to his skating and I like his LP except that he seems to lack facial expression.

da96103

Record Breaker
Is there a place to look at protocols? There is one missing column in the schedule page., where the protocol link is supposed to be.

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
Is there a place to look at protocols? There is one missing column in the schedule page., where the protocol link is supposed to be.

I think they wait until the whole thing is over (including Ladie's FS)... I think it was like that last year. I'm waiting for it too, so I can edit that Data Analysis thread. ;)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Goes to show what I know...I actually thought Shoma's FS was quite good....especially considering how nervous he obviously was. At the very least he's shown he can skate a decent program even with an extreme case of the nerves.

I don't know if it was pure nerves or anxiety because his quads weren't going well in practice, but I thought I could hear him hyperventilating before he went to take his position in the FS. But either way, he got the job done. I'm sure he will build on this and become even stronger.

gsyzf

Medalist

I think JSF was wise to let Hanyu withdraw from national. I can't imagine what kind of treatment Uno would've got if he did actually win national with Hanyu competing in the same competition. Hanyu's fanbase is a lot bigger than Takahashi's fanbase a few years ago. At the start of this season, I expected uno to win national this year. JSF has been very consistent in promoting their upcoming junior skaters in every olympic cycle. Before Sochi, Hanyu and Kanako Murakami were the skaters promoted by JSF. JSF tried to set them up as medal contenders at international competitions before Sochi. After Sochi, JSF began supporting Uno and Miyahara (to a less extent Wakaba Higuchi). JSF doesn't promote veteran skaters much after they have successfully medaled at international competitions and established their own reputation. JSF actually gave all of them equal opportunity. But whether these skaters can medal at international competitions still depend on their hard work. So, if Uno can medal at international competitions, it's also due to his hard work.

eta

Medalist
I think JSF was wise to let Hanyu withdraw from national. I can't imagine what kind of treatment Uno would've got if he did actually win national with Hanyu competing in the same competition. Hanyu's fanbase is a lot bigger than Takahashi's fanbase a few years ago. At the start of this season, I expected uno to win national this year. JSF has been very consistent in promoting their upcoming junior skaters in every olympic cycle. Before Sochi, Hanyu and Kanako Murakami were the skaters promoted by JSF. JSF tried to set them up as medal contenders at international competitions before Sochi. After Sochi, JSF began supporting Uno and Miyahara (to a less extent Wakaba Higuchi). JSF doesn't promote veteran skaters much after they have successfully medaled at international competitions and established their own reputation. JSF actually gave all of them equal opportunity. But whether these skaters can medal at international competitions still depend on their hard work. So, if Uno can medal at international competitions, it's also due to his hard work.

It's wise to let Hanyu withdraw because Uno would've gotten bad treatment if he won? :scratch2: I'd think it's wise for Hanyu to withdraw because skating while sick with the flu plus having asthma is bad for his health? :scratch2:

And I don't know where the "expected Uno to win national" comes from, Uno scored 280.41 for his first national title here, Hanyu scored higher for all four of his national titles. :scratch2:

I'm not even going to touch the "JSF promotion of junior skaters" :slink:

gsyzf

Medalist
It's wise to let Hanyu withdraw because Uno would've gotten bad treatment if he won? :scratch2: I'd think it's wise for Hanyu to withdraw because skating while sick with the flu plus having asthma is bad for his health? :scratch2:

And I don't know where the "expected Uno to win national" comes from, Uno scored 280.41 for his first national title here, Hanyu scored higher for all four of his national titles. :scratch2:

I'm not even going to touch the "JSF promotion of junior skaters" :slink:

It's up to JSF whether they let Hanyu withdraw and still make the worlds/4cc team. Uno's scoring potential was getting closer to Hanyu's. He has been getting similar GOE and PCS as Hanyu at international competitions. So it's certainly very possible that Uno can outscore Hanyu at national when Uno gives a better performance, even just by a little bit. If that happens, I can't imagine the outcry. This is the pre-olympic season. So feds try to boost their potential medal contenders as much as possible in order to prepare for the Olympics. JSF do favor and promote their junior skaters when they transition to seniors, especially the junior skaters that medaled or won junior worlds.

Last edited: