2016 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Ladies SP

MIM

Medalist
I think Anastasia was robbed big time! I have seen many equally borderline jumps in this competition that were not called. And she was underscored in PCS too! It was a very pleasent, complete program. She was also visibly faster than for example Meite and Joshi.

Generally, the music choices in ladies are just....:palmf: the worst ever!

I couldn't watch everyone live. Thank you for bringing her up, otherwise I would have missed her performance entirely. She ranked really behind, so I did not expect too much. Maybe good artistry and week tech contents?

Well, I was wrong! Her contents, interpretation, movements are top-notch! Yes, she needs more speed sometimes and projection. There are some tight landings, but not the 3Lz-3T! It looks clean to me. Her coach seems perplexed. :shocked:

She definitely has lots of talents and I will watch her closely in the LP.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
That was harsh IMO. The solo jump and axel looked a bit short, but in replays the combo looked fine, especially the lutz. I think 1 or 2 URs would have been fair, but 4 was uncalled for.

yeah I agree. I also think that even the ones that were short were not really convincingly more than 90° so the calls were VERY very severe

qwertyskates

Medalist
Rewatching the top skaters, I actually like Anna Pogorilaya's Bolero best - intricate, lots of gorgeous transitions, not a moment of pause. Too bad about the doubled jump but it was a simply forgeous program and she finally delivered it!:agree:

Rewatching the top skaters, I actually like Anna Pogorilaya's Bolero best - intricate, lots of gorgeous transitions, not a moment of pause. Too bad about the doubled jump but it was a simply forgeous program and she finally delivered it!:agree:

Best SP of the year choreo-wise and int ;)

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
But who else will replace her? Julia Lip is rebuilding her technique, Liza is pretty inconsistent this year. I could only think of Maria Sots but she's going to Junior worlds :confused2:

Well RusFed LOVES Adelina, there is a reason why she has the poorest record rn of any of the alternates (except maybe Julia) but she's still the #1 alternate. So if Pogorilaya doesn't do well than I guess we are going to see Sotnikova take the spot. Which is totally unfair IMO... Liza had a better GP series, don't care what anyone says she WOULD have made it to the GPF with the FS in TEB and we all know Adelina was overscored. Surely the RusFed realizes that Adelina can't compete with the likes of Radionova, Zheniya, Miyaharah, Gold, and Wagner?

petitebrie

On the Ice
Galustyan got dinged for her flying sit spin as well, I'm not exactly sure, but I think she was too slow to get into the spin position.

Radionova's landings look so scary! She very nearly hit the boards on her combo (couldn't extend free leg on 3T), and the landings are so tilted forwards she needs to flail her arms a bit to settle. But she saves it, and gets positive GOE to boot.

winky97

Medalist
Now most skaters are inconsistent. Radio has two big advantages - she is consistent and she is from strong federation Russia. So if she's almost clean she can usually make the podium. But how come her compatriots are able to win the big competitions but she's never won any (GPF, Euros, worlds)? If she doesn't improve then she'll never win any big competions and will just watch her compatriots win. Consistency will get her onto the podium, but consistency alone will not get her onto the top of the podium.

This is only her second year as a full time Senior so stop acting like she has years of being the bride's maid, but never the bride under her belt. She has had a great competitive record so far. Elena had a great year last season and was largely only being beaten by Tuk who had an amazing year. Also Elena beat Tuk last season too. Furthermore, it took Tuk some time to get that GPF championship and that World title. She got at 19 and after years of competition ups and downs.

This season everyone expected to be difficult for Elena due to growth, but she is still doing well considering. I realize that a lot of people are just handing Worlds and Europeans to Medvedava, but this season is not even over Elena has being going through growing pains this season and really has not been that consistent. It is her competitive grit that gets her onto that podium.

The girl just turned 17. She has some time left to compete and she will get the big titles. Even when she does, people who dislike her will continue to do so and find fault in her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena's big advantage is her consistency. If it continues, she is going to win a big event eventually because the other skaters will make mistakes. She beat Evgenia at COR, didn't she? She also beat Tuk twice last year.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Personally, I'm confused by most of the scores in the top 9. IMO, four people were scored about right, three people were underscored, I don't know how to think about one person's scores, and one other person was overscored.

1. Evgenia Medvedeva: So...yeah, the one overscored person. I actually quite enjoyed her skate today, but that still doesn't mean that I agree with her PCS being 33+ and and her TES being higher than Elena's. I don't think Evgenia is quite a 33+PCS skater yet. Maybe 31+ is fair. She was clean at SA, so this score should've been lower than that one. :scratch:
2. Elena Radionova: Elena's score seemed about right. Kudos to her for upgrading her solo triple! PCS-wise, it wasn't her best performance of it, so it's logical that it is lower than her best (though, a little lower than 32.86 would make more sense). I had Anna beat her for 2nd place in my predictions, but considering how far away Anna is, I have a feeling that won't happen.
3. Anna Pogorilaya: I also agreed with Anna's score, though for a different reason. It's because I'm still not a fan of the rule that completely invalidates the solo jump if it isn't a triple. 63+ seems to be the right score for what she had done on the ice, since the TES would be higher if that stupid rule wasn't there. And the PCS was a bit inflated, so that adds up to higher TES and lower PCS being around 63+ (if there was no such rule). So since we have to go with the rules, I'm going to say that Anna's PCS should've been lower. Anyways, it was a much better international showing than NHK, and I hope that she could deliver a clean FS. I really like her "Scheherazade" FS and it would be great to see that performance be the one to earn her a European medal.
4. Roberta Rodeghiero: TEB was such a strong showing, and she did even better here. The program seems good enough (other than that weird ending). I don't get why she only got a 27+ for PCS. She did a great job in selling that program so a 28.50 would be much more appropriate. Since she is so close to Anna, a podium finish is possible.
5. Angelina Kuchvalska: Nice performance! Her score was one of the ones that seemed about right. I had no idea who this girl was, but I like the way she skates. :) The kicks need to go though...
6. Joshi Helgesson: The actual program is meh, but it's enjoyable because Joshi is so good at selling it! The choreography is more interesting because Joshi seems to have so much fun, and the step sequence is excellent. Her PCS should've been slightly higher.
7. Nathalie Weinzierl: I also think her score was about right. It's a nice program, and she gets the job done. It's pretty hilarious how she has the exact same music with the 8th place finisher.
8. Mae Berenice Meite: I was hoping that these judges were more nicer to her, since I've never even once seen a panel show some love to her. So as usual, Mae was seriously underscored, at least in PCS. If she has a solid skate tomorrow and gets a low score again...:furious:
9. Nicole Rajicova: I really don't know if this score should be considered right, overscored, or underscored. It was certainly better than most of her SP showings, but there are just some things that should've been lower and higher. I hope she has a clean FS tomorrow, possibly even better than her SA one.

Last edited:

Luna Cat

Rinkside
The German Federation suspended Weinzierl yesterday. She is allowed to start but she is not a member of the team anymore.

She missed the Team meeting yesterday evening. But there has to be a more serious reason. IMO she should be lucky that she was nominated to the Euros. She was controverdally placed better then Schott at German national.

The suspension of Nathalie Weinzierl was abandoned this evening and she is now a team member again. The German Federation says it was an overreaction of an employee who organized the team meeting and who decided on his own to suspend Weinzierl without consulting other members of the German Federation...

lavoix

Match Penalty
Of course, she can do it. Nathan Chan makes it too. But I don´t think that Sotskova is better than Pogoriliya.

Really? I think Sotskova is miles ahead....
I would have actually given her the third spot, not sure what the Russian federation's issue was, maybe they were afraid of some sort of scandal.

I still expect blood, sweat and tears from Pogorilaya at these championships. Take it as you want.

double_flip

Rinkside
Just watched the last group and agree with much of the analysis here.

Loved Pogorilaya's skate - definitely the program of the evening for me. Argh, that loop! I noticed more stretch/extension from Radionova in this skate, which is great to see, but also somehow made me more aware of her posture issues. I feel like she's on the brink of a style breakthrough and look forward to seeing what she does next year - though agree, some new choreographic input would be helpful. Agreed Evgenia looks a bit less carefree here than earlier in the season. Will be interesting to see how the FP goes.

jkun

Final Flight
Why the hell did Elena's 3F only get 0.10 GOE and get so many negative GOE marks from individual judges. That was a great 3F. Good slight inside edge (which you can clearly see if you pause at the moment of take off). If it's because there weren't enough steps before, I call bs. Lena should have won the short program hands down.. Her program is actually balanced and she does more difficult elements. So what if she can't jump with her hand over her head.

Lipea

Final Flight
Terrible attitude towards small federation countries skaters!
What was wrong with them judging Galustyan? Her URs were not bad enough to mark them ALL on the sheet. It should be really one UR. The rest were too small. And with already degraded base value, her GOE did not have to be THAT low, because everything else about her jumps was great. Her PCS should have been MUCH higher too. What a shame!

Generally, I don't understand why Russian girls PCS grow every year and other girls PCS don't. This difference became really unacceptable. Evgenia is great, but her PCS are too high in relation to others. With all my love to Russian ladies, I cannot like it.:frown:

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS 72.55 1 video Q
2 Elena RADIONOVA RUS 70.96 2 video Q
3 Anna POGORILAYA RUS 63.81 3 video Q
4 Roberta RODEGHIERO ITA 61.01 4 video Q
5 Angelina KUCHVALSKA LAT 58.99 5 video Q
6 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 58.13 6 video Q
7 Nathalie WEINZIERL GER 57.36 7 Q
8 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 57.35 8 video Q
9 Nicole RAJICOVA SVK 57.24 9 video Q
10 Ivett TOTH HUN 55.54 10 video Q

Add Galustyan please, for the sake of fairness (so people would watch the crime judging): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBBCC-sfDA
Btw. both TAT and Grishin also didn't understand it.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Omg Anna is so gorgeous, my favourite performance of the night, even with the doubled jump she really kept it together, also she is proof to me that skating without the tights over boots looks waaaaaay better. (You too Evgenia, take notes, enough with those half tights over boots) But seriously there was something about her performance here that was more compelling than what she did at Russian Nationals. I just wish she would hold that spiral right before her 2A just a little bit longer.

jkun

Final Flight
Add Galustyan please, for the sake of fairness (so people would watch the crime judging): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBBCC-sfDA
Btw. both TAT and Grishin also didn't understand it.

Very borderline under-rotations on the flip/axel. I thought the lutz was round, the 3T, however, is definitely under-rotated (looks like a toe-axel too). The 3F, if the judges have somehow decided to consider pre-rotation, then I can see why it was given a UR call.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Elena's big advantage is her consistency. If it continues, she is going to win a big event eventually because the other skaters will make mistakes.

Elena can also sell anything.... apart from terrible voiceovers in music. :p