2016 Finlandia Trophy Pairs FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Pairs FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I fell like this is a Davis and White Tango program, like it will probably look messy for much of the year, but it will be what the need prior to the Olympic year.

MsSweetie

Rinkside
While D/R's costumes are lovely, I wish they were any colour but dusty rose. Washes both of them out completely.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
3am now so i am giving up and crawling back into my bed. :bed: goodight! (again!)

newyn

On the Ice
The Finnish commentators tell that D/R are used to training in a smaller rink and adjusting to the rink size has caused them some trouble.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meagan and Eric ... love the champagne dress and shirt... is that the right word for that color?

What I really appreciate is that Meagan is stretching herself to match Eric's level of artistry. And she's making a lot of progress in matching his lyrical style. He feels the music in his bones; but she's stretching herself.

I can't describe how much I hate the first position in their pairs comb. spin. It looks even worse because her legs are so short. But with points assigned to difficult variations, I guess the points are there.

Sackie

Medalist
So the only team to stay on their feet (although with some close and messy landings) were Cain/Leduc!

LRK

Record Breaker
i liked it

I did too. To my great surprise, since I'm not generally a D/R fan, and I wasn't looking forward to a cover of Non, je ne regrette rien. But... I really liked it. And I liked the costumes, and Meagan's dress was so lovely, and I am glad her hair is long enough to tie back so I can see her face better.

And I like their SP too, so they have two programs this year that I like. I didn't see that coming.:) (I tend to not like their music choices - apart from Alice in Wonderland/Everlasting, that is.)

But since I enjoy enjoying things, I'm not complaining.;)

Tyranid

Final Flight
Oh my... 131.

With so many mistakes, its the 3r'd highest score this season. Finlandia stream didnt show scores but it's obvious the PCS helped them get that score.

They've faced tons of criticism, a lot of which is just hate, but, folks, we can't deny that they are definitely some of the most overrated (and overscored) figure skates today.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
About pairs - I'm honestly not surprised that pairs are so messy this early in the season. There are so many things that have to go right. In singles, the only person the skater has to care about is themselves - but in pairs there are two people who must not only skate well separately, but also together. I think it takes longer, that is all.

Sackie

Medalist
Agree with LRK - and also remember they are all trying to up the anti each time out. D/R are trying to add the 3A which is probably throwing other things off and probably taking more time away from other elements.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I fell like this is a Davis and White Tango program, like it will probably look messy for much of the year, but it will be what the need prior to the Olympic year.

I think that's really spot on. A way to work on expression, musicality, gelling as a PAIR, while never quite working as a program. At least that's my initial gut reaction.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
They've faced tons of criticism, a lot of which is just hate, but, folks, we can't deny that they are definitely some of the most overrated (and overscored) figure skates today.

Scores aside, I can't think of a Medal or a title they have won in the past few
years they haven't deserved

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think that's really spot on. A way to work on expression, musicality, gelling as a PAIR, while never quite working as a program. At least that's my initial gut reaction.

My first thought was that it did not have the rawness of last season's Adele, but I realized quickly that was probably the point. We already know what they can do when a program is in their wheelhouse.

TGee

Record Breaker
Meagan and Eric ... love the champagne dress and shirt... is that the right word for that color?

What I really appreciate is that Meagan is stretching herself to match Eric's level of artistry. And she's making a lot of progress in matching his lyrical style. He feels the music in his bones; but she's stretching herself.

I can't describe how much I hate the first position in their pairs comb. spin. It looks even worse because her legs are so short. But with points assigned to difficult variations, I guess the points are there.

I'm recalling a Carol Lane comment that, particularly when it comes to spins, teams are often put in the place of choosing to do something ugly to get a level, or something better looking and not. I guess it applies equally to pairs as dance.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh my... 131.

How did you acquire such an absolute and unilateral confidence in your own opinion?

All competitors need to channel such absolute confidence and think "People can't deny that I am definitely the best in the world today!"