2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Not to be mean, but the "hip hop" most of these ice dancers are doing is tragic. I can't really get up and arms for their pcs being marked lower, with all of the music cuts and awkward choreography. Sorry...

This is exactly how I feel about most hip-hops this season - most, not all. I can even take a half-cooked swing, but some of those granpda-can-do-it SDs are :noshake:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Well, if anything. S/B seem to be gunning for the top, too. But it's still too early in the season - S/B are the less technically tight team, if you don't count I/Z last year...
You know with Dance in Team Russia you can't rely on past results, at all. They are so mutable, each season you have a new favorite. BS are the only team that is consistent and reliable at the moment. Others are always like a big Q mark. That's what I meant to say.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 69.63 1 video
2 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 65.31 2 video
3 Tiffany ZAHORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 62.27 3 video
4 Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV POL 60.62 4 video
5 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN DEN 58.76 5 video
6 Olivia SMART / Adria DIAZ ESP 55.89 6 video
7 Cecilia TORN / Jussiville PARTANEN FIN 46.66 7
8 Taylor TRAN / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 45.27 8 video
9 Emi HIRAI / Marien DE LA ASUNCION JPN 44.07 9 video
10 Olesia KARMI / Max LINDHOLM FIN 42.80 10

Dots

Final Flight
H/D do go for a 90's hip hop feel, quite successfully I might add. The straight line footwork is fantastic, but I would take out the second song that plays in the second half of the straight line footwork. The lift could be more memorable. It's rather bland and they need that lift to be more of a highlight.

CAS

On the Ice
What does T means in keypoints?
Also- there are two costume/ prop violations listed at the bottom at some teams- what does those mean?

Judges can now deduct for those things BUT in order for a deduction you need to have a majority of judges. So for costume/prop violation only 2/9 judges pushed the button for that, not a majority so no deduction.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What does T means in keypoints?
Also- there are two costume/ prop violations listed at the bottom at some teams- what does those mean?

'T' is timing mistake during key-point, which means that the key-point step(s) was executed correctly, but on the wrong beat of the music.

P.S. And I missed the competition, some comments here... are pretty funny :biggrin: I'll post my thoughts later after I'll watch it :)

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Judges can now deduct for those things BUT in order for a deduction you need to have a majority of judges. So for costume/prop violation only 2/9 judges pushed the button for that, not a majority so no deduction.
What is prop? And what is considered a costume violation- maybe I wasn't that attentive to the costumes, what could "hurt" judges eyes in this competition?

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What is prop? And what is consireded a costume violation- maybe I wasn't that attentive to the costumes, what could "hurt" judges eyes in this competition?

Rule 501
Clothing
1. At ISU Championships, the Olympic Winter Games and International Competitions, the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition – not garish or theatrical in design. Clothing may, however, reflect the character of the music chosen. The clothing must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for the discipline. Men must wear full length trousers and must not wear tights. In addition, in Ice Dance, Ladies must wear a skirt. Accessories and props are not permitted.
Clothing that does not adhere to these guidelines will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n).
For Ice Dance, exceptions to the restrictions may be announced by the IDTC if appropriate to the Rhythms selected for the Short Dance.
2. The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n).

http://static.isu.org/media/1003/20...ce-and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_final.pdf

For hip-hop lady also can wear shorts, short pants or trousers.

CAS

On the Ice
What is prop? And what is considered a costume violation- maybe I wasn't that attentive to the costumes, what could "hurt" judges eyes in this competition?

Only S/B and the Finnish team in last place got a costume/prop comment. I can't remember the Finnish team but my guess is two judges didn't like Stepanova's outfit. They are either unaware about the pants rule this year or probably felt her outfit was not modest enough? I can't imagine what else it could be.

Lota

Record Breaker
I for one like the introduction of hip-hop this season, and I'm all for more styles being introduced. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Of course, this is new territory to most teams, and not every team has... erm... hit the mark ( :hopelessness: ) Still, I like the idea of it and some teams have found interesting new things so, despite the arm flailing (and, tbh, arm flailing happens quite a lot even without hip hop), I hope teams don't give up and keep on persisting (and hopefully improve)!

I really liked S/B's SD for example. "At last" did kind of stick out (although the musical transition was smooth) because I'm not sure it matched the feel of the program and looked plain weird with their costumes. This didn't keep me from enjoying the program however, their energy really sells it. Good luck to them (and other teams) in the FD! :cheer:

elif

Medalist
I don't know If it is because of the costume or not, but Stepanova's back really bothered me whole program. I know she had Bobrova style leaning into ice usually but this year it is quite bad.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Naked belly? I don't know, it looked quite decent to me and I am the one who would be picky for the belly area.:biggrin:
Only S/B and the Finnish team in last place got a costume/prop comment. I can't remember the Finnish team but my guess is two judges didn't like Stepanova's outfit. They are either unaware about the pants rule this year or probably felt her outfit was not modest enough? I can't imagine what else it could be.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I don't know If it is because of the costume or not, but Stepanova's back really bothered me whole program. I know she had Bobrova style leaning into ice usually but this year it is quite bad.

Well to their credit their postures go with the music. They were fast and lighthearted, totally matching the music. Looking at the top dances I can sorta see why they earned their first place scores. But my heart still aches for the Danes and Spanish guys.

OTOH, H/D have bigger problems. I think the program is embarrassingly bad and they're skating too heavily on the blade. Their skating needs a lift, a bit more lightness, precision and snap.

ID is going to be much less predictable this season :)

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
Well to their credit their postures go with the music. They were fast and lighthearted, totally matching the music. Looking at the top dances I can sorta see why they earned their first place scores. But my heart still aches for the Danes and Spanish guys.

I don't find them fast, :noshake: Almost 40 seconds unending side by side steps...:slink: This season going to be long for me. I also don't like blues pattern. Lucky for me S/B only uses blues on blues pattern. It is good idea to grab attention with lift+twizzles and than we can sleep on blues pattern and just come back for step sequence. Less time and less element in blues better.:laugh:

We can see her posture in free dance. I don't want to watch another Bobrova please.:noshake: