2016 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Short Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Woke up this morning to see the Shibs on top and H/D in third and couldn't be more excited! IMO this was the best that the Shibs have performed their SD this season - they just looked so confident and sure.

Question for the ice dance experts out there - why are the Shibs and Wea/Po so close on twizzle GOE? The Shibs barely squeaked out better scores on that element, but their twizzles are so much more convincing and impressive than the other top teams? (Except maybe H/D). I don't know the criteria for twizzle GOE so maybe I'm missing something, but that's the weakest part of Wea/Po's dance for me.

I do hope that the Shibs can pull out the win here. They're so likeable, and I'd love to see them get a PCS boost going into worlds. Hopefully everyone skates lights out in the free dance!!

Welcome to the :confused2: :scratch: and :mad: world of Ice Dance Scoring.

robredo40

On the Ice
funny only when an american is on the tech panel do the shibs have scores comparable to weapo , no way they should be leading they don`t have the speed or power of weapo you could even hear a gasp in the crowd when they were placed second, anyway it will be reversed in the fd the judging panel don`t think they are close components Wise.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
funny only when an american is on the tech panel do the shibs have scores comparable to weapo , no way they should be leading they don`t have the speed or power of weapo you could even hear a gasp in the crowd when they were placed second, anyway it will be reversed in the fd the judging panel don`t think they are close components Wise.

This isn't the first time the Shibs beat Weav/Po on TES. Most recently, they did it at this past Skate Canada, in both the SD and FD. They also did it at last year's 4CC SD. There was no American on the panel at NHK and they got similar calls that Weav/Po got at their other GP event.

Last edited:

dcnative

On the Ice

Apparently speed and power aren't valuable assets for Ice Dance. I question the scores of the Italians all the time because in-rink reports on them are usually that they are slow skaters, but they get very high scores. It seems to me that you can be more complex when you are moving slowly, so speed + complexity should be scored higher than slow + complexity (not saying that the Italians are all that complex).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just watched...

have to admit that Shibutanis were THE BUSINESS today - the balance between sharpness and yet relaxed feel about this charming SD was just amazing. There was no single step or turn forced, everything was transitioning smoothly and seamlessly. It really shows how much Maia matured to give a quality, engaged performance being in character and how much Alex has grown to present himself and Maia so professionally. The feel of sureness and steely confidence was there probably for the first time for me - being new US Champions gave them more of this going forward for sure and it is visible in execution. They really went long road since 2011 bronze, but now they can be easily an inspiration for lots of people - their way of carrying themselves, taking into account their success and popularity, is remarkable.

Kaitlyn and Andrew...as always - looking properly ROYAL, the feel and flow was there, but whole execution was a tad too cautious for me. The only border for them now is made by themselves - they have to work on consistency of levels in SD to be on top, because counting on someone else's mistakes is not a very good optin looking at all level 4s Shibutanis' performance. Love them, their positivity, chemistry and hard workers attitude -I hope they'll get only motivated by this position, not dinged.

Madison and Zach - what a performance!!! As a whole, probably the best of today - the whole theme, music, choreography, flow and execution were flawless today. It was so organic - they have really strong partnership going, one is able to present another so well in this dance. I'm maybe crazy, but they should break 70 pts by getting better PCS - comparing them to Chock/Bates they were a class better in my eyes...

Layback11

Record Breaker
Spot on. The biggest strength of WePo has always been their ability to convey PASSION. What are their best programs? Je suis malade and the Maria tango. Programs about passion. The last two seasons they've been going this Artier Than Thou route and frankly they don't have the balletic training or knack to carry it off successfully. They are "heavy" skaters to me--not in terms of weight, but in terms of how they move across the ice. They don't' float. They dig into the ice, not rise above it. And I'm shocked that Krylova keeps trying to refashion them into something they're not. Hell I'm all for stretching your limits, but the fact remains that they are limits. They're never going to be ethereal; it's just not their strength. They are earthy, not airy. So why not create programs that highlight that earthiness and leave the airy to a couple more suited to that style?

Just my two coppers.

Excellently-said! I'd add "Humanity in Motion" to that list, but I agree with your general idea: passion/character-based programs are what they do best. They haven't been playing to their strengths lately; Four Seasons was okay, but this FD bores me. I don't even understand what it's supposed to be about and it doesn't fit them. But I LOVED all of their FDs before last season. They need character-based pieces.

Eclair

Medalist
Learning to perform can take a bit of time. But I competed in public speaking in high school and college and learned very quickly that audiences want you to do well. An uncomfortable and restrained performance makes the audience uncomfortable and restrained, and they want to be entertained. Think of it this way: when was the last time you paid money to see a performance and thought, "Oh boy, I'm really hoping it sucks!" Just saying...

This year for the Shibs is like Marlie's tango year--and look at how Marlie blossomed and matured after that. If things continue this way I can see the battle for gold in Korea between the Shibs and P/C. (Getting my predictions in SUPER early! :))

Sometimes I watch bad movies, just to make fun of how bad they are ;) But you're right of course, usually the audience except for maybe Phil hersh wants the skaters to have the skate of their life!

Layback11

Record Breaker

andromache

Record Breaker
H/D's PCS are a joke, especially for this gorgeous SD. So many upsets in the SD so far though with teams who are generally held down (Shibs and H/D) kicking butt technically.

I don't think H/D's lead over C/B will hold up in the FD, but it's possible the Shibs over WeaPo might. If North America wants to put up a team to beat P/C at Worlds this year, best bet is to go with the Shibs--and their amazing Coldplay program--on American soil.

TMC

Record Breaker
Sometimes I watch bad movies, just to make fun of how bad they are ;) But you're right of course, usually the audience except for maybe Phil hersh wants the skaters to have the skate of their life!

:laugh2:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donahue have really improved under D/L/H. They also happen to have a stellar programme. Happy all around. Change can and does happen in ID.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donahue have really improved under D/L/H. They also happen to have a stellar programme. Happy all around. Change can and does happen in ID.

they are a good example of doing a right transfer to Montreal contingent - I feel like their skating overall grown and matured, their lines improved and they learned to show their true strenghts instead of visibly cover weaknesess last minute during performances.

Not everyone benefitted with moving to Montreal unfortunately (Paul/Islam...)

Cleo

On the Ice
they are a good example of doing a right transfer to Montreal contingent - I feel like their skating overall grown and matured, their lines improved and they learned to show their true strenghts instead of visibly cover weaknesess last minute during performances.

Not everyone benefitted with moving to Montreal unfortunately (Paul/Islam...)

On the NBC Nationals broadcast, Tanith mentioned that Zach had told her that Patrice L. had made him work hard on his edges as he'd been lazy about it. So definite improvement there.

slider11

Medalist
I just watched the last ice dance group for the SD. Off skate for Chock and Bates. Not grabbing his skate in the twizzles was an obvious mistake for Evan. What was Igor talking about when he held his arms about 3 feet apart- was there hold not close enough? Sadly, Gilles and Poirier's SD is not getting them the points they need. I can see by their scores and the reaction on this board that the appeal is really split. I happen to find it quirky and enjoyable and I think it captures the waltz and march in a Beatles/baroque way. Why the level one on the first waltz? The Shibs were really good and I am pulling for them big time. But I must say I enjoyed Kaitlyn and andres's SD slightly more. I would have given them the edge on pure enjoyment. But I get it that there are those slight technical nuances that takes the skaters from level 3 to 4. To me Shibs and W/P are tied to first. Can't wait to see the FD!

bobbob

Medalist
The assignment of the levels seemed rather arbitrary and biased today. I think the overall skate and execution should have been weighted more heavily than the arbitrary levels assigned by one person.

That being said, Maia and Alex delivered today! Good for them!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok People, I have another question. After watching the Shibs for the 5th time today (And loving every Minute ) I have to wonder why that arena was so empty??

Believe it or not, I have never attended a Short Dance event and it may be normal but, yikes. Those stands were empty. Maybe they should move this event to Japan or Canada if they hope to increase their audience. I've been to events in both places and there's always a healthy sized crowd.

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The assignment of the levels seemed rather arbitrary and biased today. I think the overall skate and execution should have been weighted more heavily than the arbitrary levels assigned by one person.

That being said, Maia and Alex delivered today! Good for them!

The rules of Ice Dance have levels assigned by the Tech panel, it is not like this was a new concept at 4CC. Judy Blumberg has a reputation as a tough caller not a biased one. Honestly, sounds like sour grapes on your part.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ok People, I have another question. After watching the Shibs for the 5th time today (And loving every Minute ) I have to wonder why that arena was so empty??

Believe it or not, I have never attended a Short Dance event and it may be normal but, yikes. Those stands were empty. Maybe they should move this event to Japan or Canada if they hope to increase their audience. I've been to events in both places and there's always a healthy sized crowd.

One reason may be that the SD started after noon their time on a Thursday. Also, maybe there's a reason why no Japanese or Canadian city bided on 4CC this season (or maybe they did but they want to promote skating in Taiwan). Hopefully, this will plant the seeds for interest in figure skating in Taiwan, even if it doesn't look great now. Plus, it's ice dance. Some times the SDs tend to be empty. U.S. Nats wasn't much better. I remember 2012 Worlds in Nice didn't seem that full there for the SD which made all the Samba SDs seem flat to me. You really need audience reaction to a samba. There are some Euros in the past where the stands were pretty bleak as well.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The rules of Ice Dance have levels assigned by the Tech panel, it is not like this was a new concept at 4CC. Judy Blumberg has a reputation as a tough caller not a biased one. Honestly, sounds like sour grapes on your part.

When I was coaching, my wish was always to have the toughest caller available. I trusted my students to execute their programs and the tough callers usually had the best recognition skills. So, in my case, the stricter the better.