2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS

yyyskate

Record Breaker
like Liza's new style, I mean the dress, much better than the mumu stuff. but somehow my eyes are fixated at her bosom the whole time:eek::
the music is a good choice for her and I like this music, but her program just feels goes on a bit too long.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Hm. But PCS is judged according to such a huge array of critria... that even if I can (!) relate what you said above to specific criteria... and agreed with your asessment... I don't think it would be enough for "clear" discrepencies. (I mean, there are so many other aspects of PCS that are not covered by the things you mentioned).

I'm still neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you - just not convinced by your argument :-D

you really need to chill and loosen up. you should know at Sochi Scandal millions of people protested and expressed their disagreement with the scores. but just a handful did the detailed analysis and statistics which approves the majority's opinion.
Figure skating is a spectators' sports, Most times it is just an impression from people. If you are seeking convincing arguments from everyone every time. it kills the fun and will be futile.
EDIT: just my kinda suggestion.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Serafima Sahanovich (world and GPF vice champion among juniors) was 10+ PCS points below Daleman who has no medals on the scene. Daleman also won 1.7 PCS over Liza.

Now say something about reputation judging. Do it.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Serafima Sahanovich (world and GPF vice champion among juniors) was 10+ PCS points below Daleman who has no medals on the scene. Daleman also won 1.7 PCS over Liza.

Now say something about reputation judging. Do it.

I havent watch Sima's performance yet. but another thing about the judging business that may need to be kept in mind is the ranking of the skater in his/her own fed. is she No1, or her place has been lowered.

Tyranid

Final Flight
I havent watch Sima's performance yet. but another thing about the judging business that may need to be kept in mind is the ranking of the skater in his/her own fed. is she No1, or her place has been lowered.

That's the problem. People like Wagner, Gold, Miyahara and Asada will never get "dumped" in PCS besause everyone else in their countries is too weak to gain their federation's trust to be put ahead of the "top 2". In Russia if you aren't the top 1-3 your scores are fair game. Sima and Julia (and Liza) have to pay the price for oversaturation of talent in Russia's women's singles.

Oh, why did I mention OGM Julia Lipnitskaya? Watch her get less PCS than both Wagner and Gold at Skate America.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Hm. But PCS is judged according to such a huge array of critria... that even if I can (!) relate what you said above to specific criteria... and agreed with your asessment... I don't think it would be enough for "clear" discrepencies. (I mean, there are so many other aspects of PCS that are not covered by the things you mentioned).

I'm still neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you - just not convinced by your argument :-D
I actually agree with the judges for what concerns SS and PE (a score between 6.75 and 7.50 is appropriate there, considering the descrete quality of her flow over the ice, of her speed, her nice edges and the fact that she performed her programs cleanly and precisely), but I would give her not more than 6.50 in the other three areas.
Her transitions were not that many (especially during the part full of jumps) and they furthermore lacked variety and difficulty, even if they were decently executed.
Her choreography was quite generic and didn't really use the music as much as it could have: it was a linear, simple program, but not ambitious nor original nor elaborate.
The same more or less goes for the interpretation: I didn't frankly perceive any effort for her part to express anything specific or to project, she was certainly doing what she was told to but in rather a "shallow" way, even if certainly pleasant enough to be considered sufficient or almost so.
My marks (more or less, I should re-watch it to be more accurate) would have been I think 7.25-6.25-7.00-6.00-5.75. Of course the judges themselves don't have much time to reflect upon all this actually :biggrin:

I don't know whether I have been able to convince you or not, but at least I hope my point is now presented more in detail :)

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched Sima' FS, :scowl: cheesy Russian package/technique at its worst!
@Tyranid Russian skaters has the privilege to skyrocket their score that other skaters don't. looked at Sima or JuliaLip. their cases are not really about inner competitions within Russia.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
She actually did Boitanos before going to Eteri and got Evgenia into it. I guess now that Evgenia is known for her Boitanos she switched to Rippons. According to Serafima its easier to jump with her hands over her head :sarcasm:

Well, if it matters to anything Yulia did 'tanos for half a season this year because she said it was easier too. But now she dropped them, so maybe it's a temporary fix when the technique isn't working like it should?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, if it matters to anything Yulia did 'tanos for half a season this year because she said it was easier too. But now she dropped them, so maybe it's a temporary fix when the technique isn't working like it should?

I really don't consider 3 to 4 seasons of tanos/rippons as temporary fixes. She really is committed to jumping that way on every single jump. Just read her interviews.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I really don't consider 3 to 4 seasons of tanos/rippons as temporary fixes. She really is committed to jumping that way on every single jump. Just read her interviews.

I know that. In Yulia's case they were temporary fixes, but for Sima it has been a struggle for her to land the jumps, arms over the head or not. It hasn't been working that well for the past two years, so maybe it would be time to see about that.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but for Sima it has been a struggle for her to land the jumps, arms over the head or not. It hasn't been working that well for the past two years, so maybe it would be time to see about that.

Yes but will they? Sigh. Its so frustrating :gaah:

berry8

Final Flight
Liza without a 3a: a low-avarage skater :shocked:

I mean... 1,7 points below Dalema in PCS

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
you should know at Sochi Scandal millions of people protested and expressed their disagreement with the scores. but just a handful did the detailed analysis and statistics which approves the majority's opinion.
LOL. Whatever.

you really need to chill and loosen up
Figure skating is a spectators' sports, Most times it is just an impression from people. If you are seeking convincing arguments from everyone every time. it kills the fun and will be futile.
And my suggestion is that other people loosen up on claims of under/overscoring...

...unless they can justify their claims using the same terms the judges use. Instead of basing them on "impressions from people" as you call it (what, you mean like "I love this skater so they deserve more points"?), or partial/incomplete assessments, conspiracy theories, etc etc.

Yeah, I guess it's annoying to have someone spoil the outrage parties, by asking for reasoned arguments or pointing out the deficiencies/fallacies of the under- or over-scoring claims. Sorry about that... but not really ;-D

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't know whether I have been able to convince you or not, but at least I hope my point is now presented more in detail :)
Much more convincing, you presented a good case :-D

berry8

Final Flight
Ok :eeking: Daleman will have a super season....
I mean she jumps so like Ito...
My Gosh... That 3T-3T... She is wild...

Tukt was overscored in PCS... I would have put her behind the unknown Mihara Mai PCS wise

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
you really need to chill and loosen up. you should know at Sochi Scandal millions of people protested and expressed their disagreement with the scores. but just a handful did the detailed analysis and statistics which approves the majority's opinion.

People always scream "scandal" when they don't like a result. This doesn't mean that a "scandal" really exist. Sport is sport, not a pop idol show or something where people can vote for the winner. The problem is, spectators think they are important and that they DO participate in a voting show.... :dumb: :laugh:

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Apparently Daleman is just coming back from an injury. She said this FS performance was only her third complete run through since her return!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Way late to the discussion, my video kept flaking out. Now I've watched whole skates where before I'd only seen parts of most of them.

Gabby Daleman didn't just deserve the highest PCS of the field. She earned them. I was dazzled by her progress in this respect. And you add to that the visual impact and power of her jumps. Just wow. There were only a few little times when I felt the choreo became something she was doing. Most of the time, I had the feeling that she internalized the music and absolutely understood what she wanted to convey. She succeeded.

Amber Glenn's Rhapsody in Blue was also heartfelt and powerful. I loved the force of feeling behind her big jumps and her understanding of what the music intends to do. She didn't have as good choreography as Gabby IMO, and she doesn't quite have the interpretation of the music, but I have a feeling that she'll be very encouraged by this competition and that she'll develop those important aspects of this program as the season progresses.

Liza T. has plenty of choreography; in fact, the hand and arm motions are sometimes a bit too busy for my taste. But her biggest failing IMO is that she seems just to be doing what she's been told to do. Here are a few little Egyptian hand flippy things, and right away here are some arm or leg or body movements. But all these movements aren't connected. They're not part of the whole. And when she's in a run-up to a jump, she seems to lose all thought of what her arms and hands communicate. Maybe she's concentrating so much on the technique of the jump, but all these things need to be an integrated whole. I don't think she'll get away with these things even when she gets all her jumps in. Not this year. I could be wrong ... but I hope not. Figure skating is much more interesting when it isn't just a contest of who lands the most difficult jumps.