2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS

yyyskate

Record Breaker
LOL. Whatever.

And my suggestion is that other people loosen up on claims of under/overscoring...

...unless they can justify their claims using the same terms the judges use. Instead of basing them on "impressions from people" as you call it (what, you mean like "I love this skater so they deserve more points"?), or partial/incomplete assessments, conspiracy theories, etc etc.

Yeah, I guess it's annoying to have someone spoil the outrage parties, by asking for reasoned arguments or pointing out the deficiencies/fallacies of the under- or over-scoring claims. Sorry about that... but not really ;-D

I could not care less about people spoil the "outrage parties". and I like different people post their independent opinions.
and of course it is your prerogative to suggest other people to "loosen up". I wish you good luck.:biggrin:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
People always scream "scandal" when they don't like a result. This doesn't mean that a "scandal" really exist. Sport is sport, not a pop idol show or something where people can vote for the winner. The problem is, spectators think they are important and that they DO participate in a voting show.... :dumb: :laugh:

If you think that there is no scandal existed in figure skating history. you are being delusional.

noidont

Final Flight
Judging was pretty fair, only Mihara is a hard case to judge. I have no idea what her program is about and why/how she is supposed to be interpreting to what in the music. But she looks sweet and the program looks sweet. Typical Asian aesthetics, but should it be punished by a panel of western judges? That's the million dollar question.

Liza didn't look like she was committing fully to the program. I hope they get more transitions in, otherwise she won't be at the top even if she skates clean with a 3A.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
If you think that there is no scandal existed in figure skating history. you are being delusional.

It depends on what you mean with "scandal". I'm not following figure skating that much but i know many things about people.
People are easily to manipulate. Give me a REAL proof of these "scandals" and not just "oh, this skater always had better results and has more fans and is more popular and is more lovely, mature, likable, and i like him more and that's why the judges have no clue and robbed him ect. ect." blah blah blah

I'm waiting :coffee:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I agree with the result, but still felt surprised and happy that Mihara actually won! I liked the look of her skating and it will be still better as she matures... In Tuktamysheva´s program I felt during the whole time rushing from one move to the next.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It depends on what you mean with "scandal". I'm not following figure skating that much but i know many things about people.
People are easily to manipulate. Give me a REAL proof of these "scandals" and not just "oh, this skater always had better results and has more fans and is more popular and is more lovely, mature, likable, and i like him more and that's why the judges have no clue and robbed him ect. ect." blah blah blah

I'm waiting :coffee:

sorry, I am kinda busy, you can always research and google yourself, if you are interested. e.g. Salt lake City Scandal, Sochi Scandal etc. Those cases will be great education to you in terms of figure skating knowledges.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
IN MY OPINION
Some thoughts on Elizaveta's Free Program music. I would personally like to whip (with a wet noodle) the person who chose this music for her. It reminded me of a 'B' Grade movie soundtrack from a 1950's nondescript middle-eastern drama. The music was jarring and disjointed with no defined character; allowing only power moves on the part of the skater. I got no enjoyment from this program. Please scrap this music quickly, Elizaveta. It does not serve you well at all IMHO. - Pete Murray

Biellmann

Match Penalty
sorry, I am kinda busy, you can always research and google yourself, if you are interested. e.g. Salt lake City Scandal, Sochi Scandal etc. Those cases will be great education to you in terms of figure skating knowledges.

I said REAL proofs. The problem with biased people is, you see what you want to see. But you ignore everything else.

I know about this "Sochi scandal" and i know that there is NO proof for it. It's just wishful thinking and fantasies.:confused2: Oh i know, there are many lovely videos, "analysis" and diagrams, that should show how "perfect" your "queen" is. The problem is, in front of the court, you wouldn't have a chance with these biased "proofs".
I'm not a sheep, you can't manipulate me :confused2:

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
IN MY OPINION
Some thoughts on Elizaveta's Free Program music. I would personally like to whip (with a wet noodle) the person who chose this music for her. It reminded me of a 'B' Grade movie soundtrack from a 1950's nondescript middle-eastern drama. The music was jarring and disjointed with no defined character; allowing only power moves on the part of the skater. I got no enjoyment from this program. Please scrap this music quickly, Elizaveta. It does not serve you well at all IMHO. - Pete Murray

Wholeheartedly agree with this... love her dress, glad she dropped the mumus at last.... result to me is stunning. The choreography is nice and at the right level for this early season. I am certain the fall was a fluke one-time deal... but the music is awful !!!! Liza does so well with high energy music like the Bollywood piece she skated to at 2014 WC. If she keeps this music she will lose her audience IMO.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Judging was pretty fair, only Mihara is a hard case to judge. I have no idea what her program is about and why/how she is supposed to be interpreting to what in the music. But she looks sweet and the program looks sweet. Typical Asian aesthetics, but should it be punished by a panel of western judges? That's the million dollar question.
That's actually a very good point. I called this program "generic" and "juniorish" (and to my eyes it is), but I would be really interested in reading what a Japanese or (more in general) an Asian fan thinks of it in terms of sophistication and aesthetic value :think:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I said REAL proofs. The problem with biased people is, you see what you want to see. But you ignore everything else.

I know about this "Sochi scandal" and i know that there is NO proof for it. It's just wishful thinking and fantasies.:confused2: Oh i know, there are many lovely videos, "analysis" and diagrams, that should show how "perfect" your "queen" is. The problem is, in front of the court, you wouldn't have a chance with these biased "proofs".
I'm not a sheep, you can't manipulate me :confused2:
Well good then. You be you then. I would rather spend my time on appreciating my "Queen", learn more about figure skating and a million of other things than "manipulate" you. :biggrin:

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Liza - I love the dress. Best costume she's worn. Not a muumuu, she's done hiding her body, and yeah her torso is a little thicker than other skaters, but it doesn't hurt her jumps. And omg has she abandoned the tan skates? Bless. Next step, getting her hair in a high bun. And the LP is definitely a step up form last season (probably several steps up). Still, I've got to agree with everyone else on the music. It's too heavy and plodding, though I do really like the idea of a Cleopatra concept for her - something more akin to Miki Ando's Cleopatra music would work. Still a lot of two foot skating, but it's nice to see that there is choreography, though I wish it was better and involved more feet, less arms. The music going to hold her back from getting "on fire" like she did during her 2014-2015 season.

The fall at the end was either a loss of focus or a loss of stamina, because she fell after basically nailing it. The jumps looked stellar, though she needs more transitions. I forgot how much I missed her gorgeous jumps though. But geez, her sit spin with the bent leg KILLS me. Still, overall, her skating looks faster with a bit more ice coverage than last season, which is a plus.

I don't think she'll ever be where she was in her 2014-2015 season though; even if she were to get back to that level, last season's performances at the World Championships proved that the best in the world are the ones who have it all in the right place at the right time. Consistency helps to build up reputation points and could help increase her PCS further (though they're already too high IMO), but she doesn't have the spins or the choreography or the choreographic complexity or the attention to its execution to get the high 8s and 9s - and if she did it would be a major disservice to the sport. She has the potential to win World or Olympic medals, but she'll never be THE best in the world or a clear and obvious favorite like she was in 2014-2015 because overall that was a weaker field. Which is fine - because it makes the sport more interesting!

Even though I started getting negative there are some things I really enjoy about her skating and I'm glad to see her doing much better than last season so far.

Mai - LOVE THE DRESS. Simple and I love the color. I love mint green. The music and program are pretty and pleasant, nothing special, no depth, but pretty and pleasant. The music is also more dynamic than Liza's, which helped. She has more effortless speed than Liza, more one-foot skating - even giving Liza the benefit of her reputation points, I would have scored them about the same on PCS. Both programs get the job done but aren't great. But at least the right girl won.

Gabby - Nice dress, great color, something seems off about the front. Maybe the v-neck could have a more flattering cut? Music and choreography were well-chosen and Gabby did an excellent job with her interpretation. There was some nuance there, lots of Gabby personality, and overall a fun program! Agree with the poster who said Gabby truly earned all the PCS she got. Kudos. Plus, best skating skills of the top girls here. But can she not do Ina Bauers from now on? They just look weak and unnecessary.

Hard to decide who has the better 3T-3T between Gabby and Liza. Both are gorgeous combos. Still, that fall was of Anna Pogo monumental proportions. I'm not surprised it took her a second to get back in the right mindset.

Amber Glenn - Nice, but felt a little generic after her very sensitive SP. Still would've given her higher PCS, but I understand she has no reputation so it makes sense. Doubled the salchow, but besides that, a performance for a girl in Amber's position to be proud of. But seriously - WHY ARE YOU DOING TWO FLIPS IN YOUR LP WHEN YOU HAVE AN e CALL???? WHY?? She needs to be doing a 3Lz-3T instead of that 3F-3T. Anyone know what the issue is? She could've placed much better.

So after watching the three girls above and going bck and watching Liza again, she looks pretty darn slow.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I watch Gabby's 3T-3T, I feel just the tiniest bit exalted. She seems to lift the viewer along with her!

Again, it makes me pine for a better scoring system. Presently, it would seem all too obvious and easy to ditch a gorgeous 3T-3T for a less dazzling (for a particular skater) 3Lz-3T. Why? ... of course, the latter gets bigger base value. Gabby's combo deservedly earns great GoE, but it may eventually seem to coaches, etc. a bit risky to stay with it, when the reason to stay with it is that it's beautiful and inspiring. Ironic.

So everyone's programs come that much closer to looking alike, because everyone pretty much has to go for the higher point value. I would love to be convinced otherwise about this, if anyone can enlighten me. :)

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
Hmmm.....that music used for Liza is....oh how should I put it....what's the word I'm looking for.....GOD AWFUL!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:biggrin: You just said exactly what I wanted to say, probably even better. I feel the music sounded like it's from an old record machine with a barely working record. It does not a tone; It also sounds like the sound from a silent film.
IN MY OPINION

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Tukt... she won't go anywhere with this LP.... poorly packaged.. too bad as she is on the way to get her jumps back it seemed...

Gabby : the first 2 jumping passes.. OMG 3t-3t was so huge.... WOW... and the rippon lutz.... just puts to shame all the girls doing weak tanos ;)

too bad for the fall on the second lutz as she had a great program until then. I think she can still improve PCS wise but was pleased with how she looked that early in the season, despite some injuries.

very impressed

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When I watch Gabby's 3T-3T, I feel just the tiniest bit exalted. She seems to lift the viewer along with her!

Again, it makes me pine for a better scoring system. Presently, it would seem all too obvious and easy to ditch a gorgeous 3T-3T for a less dazzling (for a particular skater) 3Lz-3T. Why? ... of course, the latter gets bigger base value. Gabby's combo deservedly earns great GoE, but it may eventually seem to coaches, etc. a bit risky to stay with it, when the reason to stay with it is that it's beautiful and inspiring. Ironic.

So everyone's programs come that much closer to looking alike, because everyone pretty much has to go for the higher point value. I would love to be convinced otherwise about this, if anyone can enlighten me. :)

her 3t-3t gets her about 3 points more than her 3lz-3t< when GOE is factored... if i were her coach, i'd say do the rippon lutz in the SP as well, keep the 3t-3t in the SP as well ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gabby's had some huge jumps. She has speed and power and skates with abandon. As usual, she needs to know how to control all that energy to avoid mishaps. Not an easy balance but with time she may just find it. Still, she is already awesome to watch. I wish more Men will skate like her.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
That's actually a very good point. I called this program "generic" and "juniorish" (and to my eyes it is), but I would be really interested in reading what a Japanese or (more in general) an Asian fan thinks of it in terms of sophistication and aesthetic value :think:

I agree that Mai's program is not sophisticated or complex. But she's just up from Juniors so when I watched her program I thought that she was skating something that was right for her. If she was given a complex story to tell I don't think it would have made the program better. Pretty music, pretty dress, pretty and clean skating. That's actually quite difficult and she nailed it. Next season I will hope for some maturation in her performance and some different shades in her choreography in packaging. On the plus side, she has a lightness and effortlessness in her carriage and mostly clean elements. That's something great to build on. It's frustrating to me that some of my favorite skaters with personality and performing flair did not have a strong foundation to build upon first.
Serafima, Lozko and Alissa come to mind. If only they had a solid foundation of skating skills and jump technique first, then the world would be their oyster.