2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Women's Artistic Gymnastics

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Does Americans believe they're always the best? :disapp: I wonder what was the reason for protest....

My commentators said she meant her difficulty level should have been higher.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
My commentators said she meant her difficulty plevel should have been higher.

Really? I don't think it should be. Simone has 6.5 (her mistakes lowered the execution score, not the difficulty, right? like in Kenzo Shirai case), and Lauren had a little easier routine I guess, so 6.4 was okay from logical point of view. I guess both Americans were suprised the Dutch difficulty was 6.6, me too, but her pirouettes has probably added the difficulty she lacked in terms of other elements.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sanne :yay: the first gold medal for a woman outside Eastern Europe, USA or China. All happy for her :)

88 years since Netherlands won any medal in womens gymnastics.

Congrats Sanne, Lauren and Simone!

Beam is exciting :thumbsup:

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Sane was the epitome of beam gymnast today:love: Such a beautiful routine! Simone's 3d felt undeserved to me.

treeloving

Medalist
Really? I don't think it should be. Simone has 6.5 (her mistakes lowered the execution score, not the difficulty, right? like in Kenzo Shirai case), and Lauren had a little easier routine I guess, so 6.4 was okay from logical point of view. I guess both Americans were suprised the Dutch difficulty was 6.6, me too, but her pirouettes has probably added the difficulty she lacked in terms of other elements.

But her choreography and artistic merit is top notch, it leave other beam routine in dust. Although the judge and code of point doesn't care about that anymore....

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Watched the women's Beam final with baited breath. Over here, people had been hoping for a medal, but the gold was a huge surprise. Congratulations, Sanne! :yahoo:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I've never seen such a difficult way to get on the beam as it was done by Sanne Wevers and she gained extra credit for that. Wevers seized the golden opportunity after Biles scored below 15.000 because she touched the beam as she lost her balance. Wevers also outscored Laurie Hernandez who performed impeccably.

Gold Sanne Wevers Netherlands 15.466
Silver Laurie Hernandez United States 15.333
Bronze Simone Biles United States 14.733

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've never seen such a difficult way to get on the beam as it was done by Sanne Wevers and she gained extra credit for that. Wevers seized the golden opportunity after Biles scored below 15.000 because she touched the beam as she lost her balance. Wevers also outscored Laurie Hernandez who performed impeccably.

Gold Sanne Wevers Netherlands 15.466
Silver Laurie Hernandez United States 15.333
Bronze Simone Biles United States 14.733

It was a great podium. Well deserved for all.

Wevers had such an unusual routine. Very balletic and beautiful. It shows that the code of points allows many ways to win.

sweetskates1

Medalist
You can call me a blind, overly patriotic American but I think that Madison > Mustafina and Laurie > Sanne. I am by no means an expert but I do believe that the Americans were underscored in both events. Just my opinion :slink:

Simone Biles is stout and powerful. I am the first to admit that I love my all around gymnast divas to be waif like dolls a la Nadia Comaneci and Nastia Liukin (so freaking underrated!) but I cannot deny that Simone is amazing. Too many tricks? Yes. Artistic enough? Maybe. Best ever? I think so.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am so happy Sanne won. Her beam routine is beautiful beyond words. Those pirouettes are difficult even on a floor but on the beam? I did ballet, long time ago, and I can say pirouettes are not easy to master.
I love Simone, but I think she is lucky to be so small. Had she been taller she might have fallen from that beam. Under rotating that salto was a recipe for disaster. She managed to grab the beam. Good for her. Great podium. I hoped Catalina would manage to do a great routine, but she missed some linkings. I still loved her, and doing such a beam program at 28 is a miracle itself.

Last edited:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Also, wanted to praise Oksana for her feat. She made me cry. 41 yo gymnast, bless you as you inspire us all to dream and defy aging.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I didn't get to watch, but it sounds like final was inSANNEty! :biggrin: congrats to Sanne and Laurie. Can't wait to watch it.

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Sanne Wevers from The Netherlands was grace and artistry on the beam!! I have never seen such a beautiful beam routine :points:

double_flip

Rinkside
Does anyone have a live stream for floor exercise? Croatian tv showing the sailing!! :palmf:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Simone jumps are beautiful, but her dance moves look so stiff...