2016 Skate America Pairs FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Pairs FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just watched their K&C that I missed earlier and I'm quite disturbed. He was rejecting her from the moment the program ended, reluctant to hold her hand for thanking the audience and pouting with a silent tantrum the whole time by himself like he was the one needing comfort and cheering up. He probably did but in Pairs, the girl takes most of the risk and hurt. It is very difficult for a girl to trust a partner not supporting and protecting her fully and a Pair can't function without that trust. I'm worried for her with his attitude.
it gets worse... she said to her coach.. i worked so hard.... or something like that... honestly, I was disturbed by it. Unhealthy relationship. He was much happier in the KnC at ACI when she almost landed the 4S (two foot) and overall did much better. Vanessa is very sweet. She was truly humbled with the standing ovation they received at ACI. A very kind human being. I feel bad she is skating with this guy for france, considering she's Canadian... Since Mervissa is not working, I would like to have Mervin and Vanessa become Mervanessa and skate for Canada ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
it gets worse... she said to her coach.. i worked so hard.... or something like that... honestly, I was disturbed by it. Unhealthy relationship. He was much happier in the KnC at ACI when she almost landed the 4S (two foot) and overall did much better. Vanessa is very sweet. She was truly humbled with the standing ovation they received at ACI. A very kind human being. I feel bad she is skating with this guy for france, considering she's Canadian... Since Mervissa is not working, I would like to have Mervin and Vanessa become Mervanessa and skate for Canada ;)

WOW. Vanessa and Mervin for Canada!?! Come home, Vanessa! Come home, Mervin!

Tallorder

On the Ice
Could not be more impressed with Denney/Frazier. Chemistry up the wazoo. So many core elements look strong and consistent. Throws. Triple twist. Spins that are actually synchronized!

I especially love (and want to watch again and again!) the throw salchow that has the held landing until he grabs her while she's still in her landing edge position. Very reminiscent of the golden age of Sale/Pelletier and actually Meno/Sand.

Kudos to their team. Happy for Rockne their coach. Kudos to Marina for the choreography. Nailed it.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Tarasova/Morozov's quad twist looked solid enough at Nepela, and I saw one in practice here that looked fine. They still need more work on getting a decent catch, but it looks within their capabilities. If they can do the quad okay most of the time, then I understand why they put it in the program here even though they likely would have won by a good margin against this field without it. It would be quite a helpful element for them on the world stage, so they need to do it in less major events to get used to competing it.

But a big twist fall must be very unnerving for a pair team. Skaters experience falls every day on jumps and throws, but major twist falls are uncommon and rarely "practiced". The fact that there are 4 rotations instead of 3 can make a twist fall even more disruptive, and partners may get tangled with each other as they try to recover. The fall definitely seemed to affect T/M's subsequent elements, which was a real shame. But you can't get better technically without taking some risk.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know ;) i have such great ideas :) can you imagine that team!! WOW!!! hotness galore!!!! plus they have matching SBS jumps. he is such a strong lifter. I tell you... MERVANESSA!!!!!!
WOW. Vanessa and Mervin for Canada!?! Come home, Vanessa! Come home, Mervin!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@LisaS I am not sure what you are saying since the quotes are all mixed up... I don't remember music from couples in 1995 nor do I remember T/M's music from tonight because all i heard during that program was myself doing ohhhh my goooooodddd what's happenininininingg....

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

It was very disturbing in the arena too. I think you guys saw him stand up and leave the K&C before the camera was off him. He walked directly behind the curtain. John Zimmerman went after him a moment later, presumably to calm him down, leaving behind Vanessa and Sylvia in the K&C. Sylvia and Vanessa stayed in the K&C for at least a third of Denney/Frazier's routine, Sylvia obviously comforting her. I found Morgan's behavior immature and inappropriate, frankly.

Soooo.....I think J/C's program is much more interesting than S/B's. Like, this program could be a masterpiece if well-skated. So unique and fresh. I'm sad about the mistakes. Vanessa was just off tonight. God, so many mistakes. :drama: I hope Vanessa isn't injured.

Yes, even with all the mistakes I found myself thinking how incredible the program could be even if it was just relatively clean. I really hope Vanessa's okay - she took at least two falls on what looked like the same part of the same leg.

LisaS

On the Ice
@LisaS I am not sure what you are saying since the quotes are all mixed up... I don't remember music from couples in 1995 nor do I remember T/M's music from tonight because all i heard during that program was myself doing ohhhh my goooooodddd what's happenininininingg....
Sorry was just jogging my memory. When I heard the music I knew I heard it before by a Canadian pair at least the faster part of the music. It was in fact David Pelletier and Allison Gaylor Short Program in 1995. The reason I recall it was I hated the music then just as much. And yes I am that old to remember it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
no worries.. for some reason, even if i knew about David skating with Allison before, I had totally forgotten about them !!!! having a good memory is not a bad thing at all :) don't say you are too old hehe
Sorry was just jogging my memory. When I heard the music I knew I heard it before by a Canadian pair at least the faster part of the music. It was in fact David Pelletier and Allison Gaylor Short Program in 1995. The reason I recall it was I hated the music then just as much. And yes I am that old to remember it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

waterblades

On the Ice
Amazing as that would be who would drop to our fourth pairs team. I just love our current top three all for different reasons. then what happens to the fourth team?

Super nervous for Seguin/Bilodeau, I need them to podium finish!

And I hope Vanessa and Morgan lands that Rippon throw, looks really nice

I know ;) i have such great ideas :) can you imagine that team!! WOW!!! hotness galore!!!! plus they have matching SBS jumps. he is such a strong lifter. I tell you... MERVANESSA!!!!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well that's why we export talent ;) but sometimes, we wish we could keep some of them ;) or bring them back .
Amazing as that would be who would drop to our fourth pairs team. I just love our current top three all for different reasons. then what happens to the fourth team?

artsciboy

On the Ice
this shows you how strong Duhamel and Radford are... because not only they do try huge elements but usually, 1) they do well with them but 2) if they don't , they manage to keep on track with the program. (not counting Finlandia which was off for them) .... but people should realize that the pairs doing harder tricks are taking HUGE risks.... Vanessa was probably rattled for the whole program after the fall on the 4S throw as well... cost them a medal here...

As a D/R fan, in fairness, they had a similarly messy LP after missing one of their opening big tricks at Finlandia as did T/M here.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
tell me about it... i watch all of it online... sigh... i was supposed to work... and now, there's an open bar party at my house for canadian skaters who won gold....
LOL - yes, you did...its been a loooong day!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's the rumour.

wow. Russia may need a triage for pairs and could find their oly team gold gone. In dance their best looks like they could be beaten by USA no. 3 which also means they might be vulnerable to Canada no. 3. And in men well they are so darn inconsistent. And in pairs now if k/s and s/k are out along with v/t they might end up with just two pairs teams which allows an easy ride for China and maybe the usa to get 3spots each along with Canada. Those Canadians and Russians and Chinese will be key to US chances for 3 pairs.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
wow. Russia may need a triage for pairs and could find their oly team gold gone. In dance their best looks like they could be beaten by USA no. 3 which also means they might be vulnerable to Canada no. 3. And in men well they are so darn inconsistent. And in pairs now if k/s and s/k are out along with v/t they might end up with just two pairs teams which allows an easy ride for China and maybe the usa to get 3spots each along with Canada. Those Canadians and Russians and Chinese will be key to US chances for 3 pairs.

Skater Boy you always surprise me by doing a detailed analysis of a lot of different things when the focus is only on one.

But for wanting to keep on topic, I'll only talk pairs. You're forgetting about everyone's favourite for Olympic gold - the Germans. There will be three Canadians, two Chinese, and at least one German pair battling for a top ten finish with three Russian pairs. Stolbova/Klimov will also likely return by that time. The tough part for the US will be having two pairs do well enough for a combined 13 placement. One pair doing well won't be enough unless they get on the podium.