2016 Skate America Pairs SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Pairs SP

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Yes, I wonder why S/B level 4 twist score is lower than D/F level 3 twist...GOEEEEEEEE! Why -2 GOE?

skatemouse

On the Ice
Confused about the negative GOEs on the Canadian twist... Anyone know why that is?

If you watch it again she pikes bad at the top of the twist and it effected it. They were still better than D/F though and the French should have been in 2nd Canadians 3rd they both skate bigger and Stronger than the Americans.

Good to see D/F back but the twist was the worst I have seen them do. He grabs her behind her back at catch..and she had some weird moments in it too almost like she rotated coming down too much? NOT a LV 3!! Then the step out on the Sal and Branden with always the two foot landing. He taps his left toe in at the same time he lands and always has , always and NEVER gets a two foot on the sal ugh wish he would just fix it! Rewatch it and someone please tell me why he gets credit??
The music was awful.

Good come back for them but they should be in fourth. I would protest if I was the French and Canadians.
Also Haven landing on a straight leg it just looks painful and I am very very concerned. I would have expected to see Branden with shoulders down and more stretch by now. Presenting her better More improvement????. I am being harsh but if you are going to beat the other two teams you had better be up there. Also double axles not going to cut it in the long. That said she is a warrior. Him I am disappointed in he should have been improving even a little now the twist is worse then ever..that is on him. She deserves better coming back and fighting so hard landing on a straight leg all the time. The throws are very shallow and low because her landing and the straight leg landings?? Does someone know why? and if she will be able to bend again? I fear for her if no. To get higher and stronger throws she will need a knee bend for that outside edge and not a flat. I think they need to know a true challenge not you get second in all sections of your event like Jr. Worlds and end up a Champion??? but you get the right marks not two foot sal and a step out...and grab behind the back in a twist and SB marks?Challenge them they deserve it!!!

It was fun to watch though. Good for C/T actually improving and their music? everyone's music! yikes! C/T lifts are usually behind the 8 ball though she does not rotate with him at all. I think she got off balance and he was locked so it seemed on her that issue but they look very strong. Good for them. I was most impressed with them!

As far as K/O they always start out not so good and seem to flourish as under dogs. I see them getting stronger however she looks not just in pain but not well to me. Not sure what is up there ? Music and costumes and I understand they ditched their new SP not sure why but maybe it threw them off? I am not sure it is her knee because did they not tour in Japan for weeks and did fine? So they just seem off.
The FS is looking exciting! :yahoo::yahoo:

olayolay

On the Ice
If you watch it again she pikes bad at the top of the twist and it effected it. They were still better than D/F though and the French should have been in 2nd Canadians 3rd they both skate bigger and Stronger than the Americans.

What's 'piking'? :confused:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol Sam's corridor?
I haven't seen a second of anything from the event yet because I'm out with friends tonight but I guarantee a Mao friendly corridor once I catch my bearings. :devil:

skatemouse

On the Ice
What's 'piking'? :confused:
She toes in. at the top of the twist she sticks her butt out real quick and her head is down piking at the top. Then gets over herself. Piking at the top like a jack knife. Watch it again you can see it...it is a confidence thing and tech thing. Maybe someone with better knowledge can explain it better. In gymnastics it is death. In the twist it slows it down and is actually dangerous to be doing but when it gets too high and a girl is not leaning back into it and over it she pikes. she fixed it right away but as it was on the way down which made her rotate so slow on the way down. I am using gymnastics to explain this so I am hoping someone with more experience on ice can explain it better but that is the only issue I saw. It was fast strong the catch was a little off but that was from the pike slowing it down a bit. Anyone? A twist whisperer maybe? Bueller? Bueller??

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I came here looking for an answer for the absence of Judge 6 but I see you all are as confused as I am. Let's hope it is just a bathroom break gone bad. :laugh2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the only thing we know about judges in the competition threads is that they were drinking ;)
I came here looking for an answer for the absence of Judge 6 but I see you all are as confused as I am. Let's hope it is just a bathroom break gone bad. :laugh2:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
the only thing we know about judges in the competition threads is that they were drinking ;)

:laugh:

Btw John Couglin agree with you folks that Tarasova/Morozov were not really connecting to the audience with this program. Their focus appeared to be nailing the elements.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i mean... the only way T/M connect with the audience is on the triple twist... it's so high it reaches the last row... but that's all... it was a snoozefest. IMHO

Btw John Couglin agree with you folks that Tarasova/Morozov were not really connecting to the audience with this program. Their focus appeared to be nailing the elements.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
In person, Tarasova/Morozov were clearly the class of the field. They don't project extremely well, but seriously, every element was JUST gorgeous. I say this as a huge Seguin/Bilodeau fan.

Meanwhile...how do you solve a problem like Mervissa? They finally get land their SBS jumps and then come down on a lift.

olayolay

On the Ice

Have they ever connected to an audience with any program? :scratch2:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Have they ever connected to an audience with any program? :scratch2:

Maybe it's not a big deal in most performances but one that is upbeat like this one needs it. I thought their elements were wonderful. But having a bit of a déja-vu with Savchenko/Massot's dance-like SP. Is this the new direction of pairs?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Maybe it's not a big deal in most performances but one that is upbeat like this one needs it. I thought their elements were wonderful. But having a bit of a déja-vu with Savchenko/Massot's dance-like SP. Is this the new direction of pairs?

Pairs could do a heckuva lot worse than to incorporate some of what makes ID so wonderful.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I think T/M shined. that was the first program by them that really got me :love: I loved every bit of it and I expect it to grow more!
S/B are my close second :agree:

Hated D/F music :slink:

voolfee

On the Ice
T/M really were in a class of its own in SP. I'm amazed and didn't expect this from them. S/B were like a junior pair against T/M. I don't understand why many people here wonder about their great advantage in component's score.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Wow, T/M, such enormous improvement over last season! The absence of their leading teams at this stage seems to be a blessing in disguise for them: Their coaches have to focus more on them to make their skating more interesting to watch. Hopefully they can deliver cleanly in the FS.

Better keep this team injury free, otherwise the Russian pairs spots would be threatened in the Olympic season.

gold12345

Medalist
S/B's was a lot higher with more pop too? It doesn't look crashy to me either.

Seguin came down from the twist with her arm brushing the back of Bilodeau's head. Still, it's a high twist and clearly superior to D/F's. D/F twist does lack explosiveness, resulting in Haven staying very vertical with her feet barely clearing Brandon's head. It's not a great element for them.

Good to see D/F back but the twist was the worst I have seen them do. He grabs her behind her back at catch..and she had some weird moments in it too almost like she rotated coming down too much? NOT a LV 3!! Then the step out on the Sal and Branden with always the two foot landing. He taps his left toe in at the same time he lands and always has , always and NEVER gets a two foot on the sal ugh wish he would just fix it! Rewatch it and someone please tell me why he gets credit??
The music was awful.

Yeah, I imagine Seguin pikes on the twist because she's trying to get the level for the split feature, which in turn slows down her rotation a bit. But I think their twist is pretty strong. I too thought James/Cipres could have been higher in the standings, but they lost several levels. It was a pretty good skate aside from the throw mistake though- their technical ability has improved and the throw with arms over the head is neat.

You're right- Brandon always two foots his 3S and it always makes his landing wonky. I don't know if he just gets cautious in competition or if he can't really do a clean one. I'd say D/F have rather cautious elements in general- In addition to Brandon always protecting his jump landing with a 2 foot, Haven's jumps are small and tend to get wonky as a result. And their twist is small and done in a safe way- she just rotates instead of exploding into the air and getting lateral, so there's no real height. I thought their 3LoTh was maybe a little higher today than they usually do it, but the 3STh they do in their LP is very low and cautiously done. They definitely don't get the height on the throws that teams like J/C and T/M do. I like D/F's SP and the music is growing on me. But they have some quality issues compared to some of the others.

Last edited: