2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men SP

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
What does that mean? :con3: :confused:

Not playing it safe and counting on PCS, which puts him at risk of losing to a less superior skater due to that skater having slightly more difficulty and getting egregiously inflated PCS.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ashley did not steal anything. USFSA made the decision. Ashley had nothing to do with it. She got a text informing her that she was going to Sochi, that's all.

so true it was the usfa but to say Ashley was extremely lucky, fortunate, blessed or given a free gift which arguably wasn't earned might be appropriate.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Not playing it safe and counting on PCS, which puts him at risk of losing to a less superior skater due to that skater having slightly more difficulty and getting egregiously inflated PCS.

That's the best one-line summary of the whole Yuna/Adelina Sochi controversy.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edited: I didn't realize that this was the Men's thread :laugh:

You guys are so :eek:topic:

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
so true it was the usfa but to say Ashley was extremely lucky, fortunate, blessed or given a free gift which arguably wasn't earned might be appropriate.

I humbly disagree. The USFSA "arguably" felt the spot on the Olympic team given to Ashley was earned. Sure she could be considered, lucky, fortunate or blessed but to slant this decision, made solely by the USFSA , toward some sort of blame on Ashley is completely and utterly wrong. To base whether you are a fan or like Ashley's skating on a decision, she had nothing to do with, is simply your emotional disagreement with the USFSA's decision. You should take it out on the USFSA not Ashley.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally a blizzard here! 15 inches and coming down hard, so I have all the time in the world to post (hehehehe). But life is as it should be, with my town getting more snow than Philly and DC, and the juncos (hardy Canadian birds!) loving the feeders....so back to extending the men's thread.;)

I don't expect to change anyone's mind. I don't expect anyone to change my mind. But here it is:

1. Nathan Chen is EXACTLY where he should be, in fourth place. Presentation skills? Dance skills? I sometimes truly wonder if we are all watching the same skaters. He is not even on the same ice covered planet for those factors as Adam, Ross, and yes, Max.

2. The US judges should NOT score as international judges do, just to "prep" our skaters. :confused: I happen to think that the US judges reward the elements correctly, or have in this case.
Does anyone *really* think that our skaters and their coaches are "misled" by the scoring?

3. I understand that if Nathan finishes fourth, he will probably not be named to Worlds, and shatter the hopes that the US will send a "reliable quadster" to Worlds, thus showing all those other US men who just won't or can't learn quads what's what. Those hopes for Nathan from his fans may yet come true, or they may not. If not, it will not be because Nathan was underscored, but because the other US men exceed his skills so vastly in other elements. And they do. IMHO.

4. If Nathan comes in fourth, and lands or rotates quads, I expect to see the internets cave under #nathanwuzrobbed. No matter what Nathan's presentation skills are like. It will be interesting.:biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I humbly disagree. The USFSA "arguably" felt the spot on the Olympic team given to Ashley was earned. Sure she could be considered, lucky, fortunate or blessed but to slant this decision, made solely by the USFSA , toward some sort of blame on Ashley is completely and utterly wrong. To base whether you are a fan or like Ashley's skating on a decision, she had nothing to do with, is simply your emotional disagreement with the USFSA's decision. You should take it out on the USFSA not Ashley.
Oh good grief; lol I can see where this leading - we are playing with words. I think the point is that it was unfortunate Mirai got left off the team and there were certain legitimate argument for her to be on it. But certainly the rules for selection allowed for Ashley or anyone to get picked (in fact the same rules might allow Brown to go to worlds this year) But I am sure as we continue to dissect words one steps back and for the most part we are talking the same thing - just too much word twisting/interpret twisting. I am not trying to say mirai is bad or the USFsa actually. I hope badknees isn't making his or comment take it out on the usfsa to me because I was just trying to put some peace to the bickering for lack of words (again I am sure there will be debates). his is not blaming Ashley or Mirai or the usfsa. Mirai, hater, lover or neutral there was legit good arguments for her to be on the Oly team but before some Ashley lover jumps in there are legit reasons to put Ashley on the team - it just would have been easier, arguably more fair if I wasn't so controversial because there were legit arguments for both (no matter what I say there will not only be dissenters but those who misinterpret the post or the intention. I am not sure this should be taken out anyone. Good clear rules make things easier but with so many variables and room for human intervention well no wonder we are screwed up. lol Let's enjoy hopefully some good skating and that skaters can do their best minus politics, luck, injury, equipment failure, music failure, media, - just let them skate!!! And may the best skater win

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Some people talk as if Chen has the PCS of Jin and Voronov, and that Adam and Ross and Aaron have the PCS of Chan and Hanyu.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 1m1 minute ago
Also, anyone else feel like Max is missing like five points? #USChamps16

:eek:topic: Not a fan of Wagner since she stole Mirai's Olympic's place, but this girl has some sass. Reminds of of Hit Girl in the Kick-*** movies.
If she gets her head together in SP, I'll be a new fan.

The decision to send Ashley ahead of Mirai was made by the USFSA not Ashley. Skaters don't have that much power. Don't blame Ashley for that.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Heh... except how is Yuna playing safe with 2 x 3lz3t, 3x 3lutz in her programs, 2x 3lutz in her long who else does that, and having probably the longest thankless step sequence out of the entire ladies (well above the call of duty, and a bit pointless 'point' wise?) When has she ever dumbed down her content ... if... ever?!! :confused: As for everything else yeah... I agree. Don't fret, Hanyu vs Maxim/Kolyada/Pitkeev in Sochi 2017 WC... it can still happen!! :D Besides, it is not like Yuna is the only Victim, Carolina, Mao did their 'hardest' technical skate ever of a lifetime .... yet still all got Sotnikova-ed!

-------------

Ashley should have been sent, it is the same rule not consistently applied that bugs me. I'd have sent Mirai instead of Polina. Polina has plenty of opportunities since she was a relatively new comer then, and therefore was rather generously scored IMHO. Anyway, bridge over troubled water... all gone in the past now. Polina is the only one skated to her potential in the SP. LP should be super interesting. I am hopeful for a redeeming skate from Gold and Wagner. Otherwise, it'd be mighty disappointing. Nobody broke 71?! Come on Mirai.. keep up the good fight!!!

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
Well actually, at the GPF Boyang Jin's PCS was 38.96 and here Nathan's was 38.82. ;)

Right, Boyang's SP wasn't bad at all. Actually, he made a great progress in presentation in the SP at the GPF. It is the LP that he needs to work on.
I don't think Boyang is far behind Nathan in the areas like edge works and dance moves, and they are comparable in the SPs. Boyang works the program out to sell.

da96103

Record Breaker
Gonna open a giant can of worms. Me predicts:

If after FS, podium is 1. Max, 2. Ross or Adam, 3. Nathan. Brown gets in and kicks Nathan out.

If after FS, podium is Max, Ross and Adam in the top 3, and Nathan is 4th, Brown will not be successful.

Nathan you gotta get at least second, if you get third, you will be Mirai-ed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*lifts cold/flu tablet-sleepy head from pillow*

*checks thread*

Let's see, wuzrobbing Nathan coz apparently when you're him it's ok to turn out of jumps/hand down on jumps, still the same old stupid line about the correct decision for the US Ladies selection for Sochi, more Yunafans whining bout Sochi again, and Max was overscored.

Business as usual I see, righty-o.

*faceplants pillow again*

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

*checks thread*

Let's see, wuzrobbing Nathan coz apparently when you're him it's ok to turn out of jumps/hand down on jumps, still the same old stupid line about the correct decision for the US Ladies selection for Sochi, more Yunafans whining bout Sochi again, and Max was overscored.

please stay there :) Enjoy your nightmare :)

Eclair

Medalist

*checks thread*

Out of all the GS members, you're the one pointing fingers at others complaining about their favourite skaters being robbed? ;)

Get well soon! :agree:

andromache

Record Breaker
WHYYYYY is this thread about the ladies selection in 2014? WHY??

Anyway, NBC is replaying the highlights of the men's SP. Nathan wasn't perfect, but he was still pretty great. Excited to see him develop over the coming years (and hopefully get better at spins!)

NAOTMAA

Medalist
After seeing Nathan skate on NBC I can see why even without the quads Ross placed above him. Outside of the jumps it was a methodical lifeless program. Ross was better in everything else even without the quad.