2016 World Championships Mens Free Skate | Page 97 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Free Skate

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Wow. A "mediocre skater"?! Oh please, indeed.

What do you mean bad skates all the time? This season, he has scored over 86 points in every short program and over 176 points in every free program. His total scores in every competition have been over 270.

As far as spins go, he gets mostly +2, especially in his Worlds FS. And he'll get mostly level 4s at that. He's not the best spinner or the best overall skater but he's not "mediocre" in both regards.

If you define Javier as having bad skates all the time, I wonder which skater(s) you would consider as not having bad skates all the time.

I don't think Javi is mediocre, and I thought he was brilliant and absolutely deserving of gold here. However, I don't think his very high scores always reflect how well or poorly he skated. For example, he scored 177+ in the FS at cup of China despite a couple of falls and a big two foot on another jump. Also, scores this year for everyone -not just Hanyu, Javi et so -seem inflated to me compared to scores earned over the past couple of years. Well, just my opinion.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier? Mediocre?

That free skate was the best thing I've seen in a long, long time. Electrifying, and for me... far superior to anything I've ever seen from Hanyu.

Although, to be fair, I've never warmed to Hanyu.

I also thought the Russian skater deserved the bronze medal. While I can appreciate the technical prowess, Jin isn't the complete package. At least not yet.

Well done to Team USA. That was nice, and good for you for delivering on home ice. It just wasn't enough.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Patrick Chan. Not his night, obviously, but the skills and the technique are still there.

Shoma will have his day. Probably two years before he's really ready for this stage.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Other than the UR 4LZ, can anyone tell me why Adam's technical score went from a high of 98.01 to 93.03 which is where he finished?

He lost a few levels on a spin. Given how close the scores were it was sadly the difference between 6th and 5th place and 3 spots.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it is patently ridiculous to call Fernandez a mediocre skater, and heaven knows I'm no fan of his skating.

But I also think it is misleading to suggest that he has been clean all season. How quickly we forget that at Europeans he got stupidly ridiculous scores for mistake-ridden programs...

Nevertheless, from someone who was there, there was absolutely no doubt who won that competition. I do think he was scored too high in the short, but that free skate was on another plane of existence.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
4Lz = 13.6 || 4L < = 9.5

4.1 points lost right there, and then negative GOE (-1.54) on top of that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think Javi is mediocre, and I thought he was brilliant and absolutely deserving of gold here. However, I don't think his very high scores always reflect how well or poorly he skated. For example, he scored 177+ in the FS at cup of China despite a couple of falls and a big two foot on another jump. Also, scores this year for everyone -not just Hanyu, Javi et so -seem inflated to me compared to scores earned over the past couple of years. Well, just my opinion.

Let's be honest though - most performances this season haven't been scored as they should. Cup of China was Javi's worst FS but he still did two quads (first one clean, second with a turnout), a 3A, and his 3F-3S series - not bad for his worst FS of the season. Performance wise all the other guys have had at least one poor FS.

In terms of SP, the only program Javi "bombed" was his euro sp turning a 4S to a 3S (which frankly, while a major points error, essentially made it the same program content as Rippon's clean Worlds SP - or anyone without a quad - but with a 3S instead of 3F). Every other program was pretty solid. His SP at Worlds had the 4S fall but the opening 4-3 was great as was the 3A (still way overscored though).

Overall though I think he was the most consistent skater of the season, even if he wasn't always perfect. And with the pressure and expectations of being World champion I found he always rose to the occasion in every competition - especially the one that mattered the most. Which is why, as karne said, it's patently ridiculous to suggest he is a mediocre skater.

I find it so odd when people try to bash skaters just after they've performed perfectly (eg Javier at Worlds, Chan at 4CC, D/R at Worlds). If you're going to try to make a point that they suck, you probably shouldn't do it right after they've scored a personal best/record. :confused: :laugh:

tureis

On the Ice
Let's be honest though - most performances this season haven't been scored as they should. Cup of China was Javi's worst FS but he still did two quads (first one clean, second with a turnout), a 3A, and his 3F-3S series - not bad for his worst FS of the season. Performance wise all the other guys have had at least one poor FS.

In terms of SP, the only program Javi "bombed" was his euro sp turning a 4S to a 3S (which frankly, while a major points error, essentially made it the same program content as Rippon's clean Worlds SP - or anyone without a quad - but with a 3S instead of 3F). Every other program was pretty solid. His SP at Worlds had the 4S fall but the opening 4-3 was great as was the 3A (still way overscored though).

Overall though I think he was the most consistent skater of the season, even if he wasn't always perfect. And with the pressure and expectations of being World champion I found he always rose to the occasion in every competition - especially the one that mattered the most. Which is why, as karne said, it's patently ridiculous to suggest he is a mediocre skater.

I find it so odd when people try to bash skaters just after they've performed perfectly (eg Javier at Worlds, Chan at 4CC, D/R at Worlds). If you're going to try to make a point that they suck, you probably shouldn't do it right after they've scored a personal best/record. :confused: :laugh:

That SP was at the Rostelecom Cup. Javi's Euros SP was almost flawless with two quads and just a turnout from the back end of the combination.

So true about bashing after great skates though! The thing is, whoever can't appreciate a brilliant performance - even if it's not from their favorite skater - it's their loss, really...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I will post my report later, but I just don't get the point of diminishing Javi's win. Javi still had to skate to win the program, it's not like he got gold the moment Yuzu was finished.

Yeah, under most circumstances Yuzu would win by a ton of points, but that wasn't the case. A win is a win. A world title is a world title.

I was prepared to be wowed by Yuzu and still was -- in the SP and even in the FS to an extent , but Javi had the skate of the night in the FS.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I hope you don't think I was bashing him because I was not. I was truly impressed with his performance at worlds and think he deserved to win. I was simply responding to the numbers you cited. And I agree with you that many many skaters are not scored as they should be.

I can't really say if he was the most consistent skater this season but I can say he was brilliant here and at GPF.

chameleon

On the Ice
Yuzuru may have left the door open but Javi kicked it off its hinges. It wasn't just that Javi sucked the least, that was an incredible skate and I have hard time imagining him skating any better.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yuzuru may have left the door open but Javi kicked it off its hinges. It wasn't just that Javi sucked the least, that was an incredible skate and I have hard time imagining him skating any better.

It is not easy to skate after somebody left the door open, just thinking of 2014 OG as Hanyu had left the door wide open for Chan to win the OG gold medal...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I rewatched Javi's FS. I knew how he performed his routine, but couldn't resist myself again to let out a whoop at his first quad toe landing in a superb quality. The performance was a magic considering all worrying reports on his foot injuries. I thought he could've withdrawn at any time during the performance but he just pulled off. The audience went crazy even before he finished his final spin. That was awesome.

MUALover

Rinkside
I'm so tired of all the Yuzuru Hanyu hype - saying "he's the best who ever lived" - how quickly we forget Yagudin or Plushenko. :laugh::laugh: - who actually don't fall on their tush every Worlds or Olympics and had more artistry. Yuruzu never delivers in competition. I don't care about his OGM either. He's not the best skater in the world if he doesn't deliver in competition at Worlds. He's certainly not the male version of Kim Yuna who had nerves of steel.

And I prefer Fernandez's style so much more. Yuzuru has a feminine look to his skating.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm so tired of all the Yuzuru Hanyu hype - saying "he's the best who ever lived" - how quickly we forget Yagudin or Plushenko. :laugh::laugh: - who actually don't fall on their tush every Worlds or Olympics and had more artistry. Yuruzu never delivers in competition. I don't care about his OGM either. He's not the best skater in the world if he doesn't deliver in competition at Worlds. He's certainly not the male version of Kim Yuna who had nerves of steel.

And I prefer Fernandez's style so much more. Yuzuru has a feminine look to his skating.

Tastes will vary so it's good that the two top skaters in the world represent such different styles.

I really like that they know their strengths and work with them.

For example, Yuzu has an androgynous look, and nothing is going to change that. He uses it in his skating style and does not try to hide it.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker

https://twitter.com/YuzuruSings/status/717160880215973888 This :biggrin:

MUALover

Rinkside
Yuzuru looks so nervous before each competition. You can see the fear in his eyes - constantly doing crosses, praying, saying "he's out for revenge for 2015 silver" before he skates. How can you deliver when you have that kind of mentality?

When you look at athletes with good psychology (say Tara Lipinski, D/R, Gordeeva and Grinkov - even when Gordeeva was only 15 or 16 years old) - they had a look of joy before and during their skating. Like they enjoy being at the competition -- yes... even when the competition happens to be the Olympics. Gordeeva was actually smiling with joy during the 1988 Olympic LP. I remember 2010 Olympics in pairs when Shen gave Zhao a big smile before their name was announced in the LP and he smiled back. They looked at peace.

Kim Yuna looked very intense but she was a good competitor.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuzuru looks so nervous before each competition. You can see the fear in his eyes - constantly doing crosses, praying, saying "he's out for revenge for 2015 silver" before he skates. How can you deliver when you have that kind of mentality?

When you look at athletes with good psychology (say Tara Lipinski, D/R, Gordeeva and Grinkov - even when Gordeeva was only 15 or 16 years old) - they had a look of joy before and during their skating. Like they enjoy being at the competition -- yes... even when the competition happens to be the Olympics. Gordeeva was actually smiling with joy during the 1988 Olympic LP. I remember 2010 Olympics in pairs when Shen gave Zhao a big smile before their name was announced and he smiled back. They looked at peace.

It is when he is calm that he can give some not-so-good performances. Skate Canada -too calm, and at Worlds FS -too calm. He actually does better when he is nervous.

But even if he has problems with his nerves and needs to improve on them, he is still one of the best competitors in the men's division. Right up there with Javi. Did you forget that Javi fell in the SP? Even Yagudin had a time when his nerves got the best of him and he needed to overcome his demons before he could become consistently great.

It was Yuzu who gave the 2 perfectly clean performances SP/FP this season. No one else. Before that, people said he'd never be able to do them clean. -Now he's done it twice. -Then people said he'd never do his SP clean at worlds, well he did it.
While there can be only one winner in each competition, Yuzu and Javi have been on the World podium for the past 3 years. That's consistency and holding your nerve.

MUALover

Rinkside
It is when he is calm that he can give some not-so-good performances. Skate Canada -too calm, and at Worlds FS -too calm. He actually does better when he is nervous.

But even if he has problems with his nerves and needs to improve on them, he is still one of the best competitors in the men's division. Right up there with Javi. Did you forget that Javi fell in the SP? Even Yagudin had a time when his nerves got the best of him and he needed to overcome his demons before he could become consistently great.

It was Yuzu who gave the 2 perfectly clean performances SP/FP this season. No one else. Before that, people said he'd never be able to do them clean. -Now he's done it twice. -Then people said he'd never do his SP clean at worlds, well he did it.
While there can be only one winner in each competition, Yuzu and Javi have been on the World podium for the past 3 years. That's consistency and holding your nerve.

Yuzu has been around for a long time, at least in sports terms. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuzu has been around for a long time, at least in sports terms. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

So because he is consistently high-scoring and has upgraded his difficulty every year, scoring personal bests every year, we can continue to expect the same from him. -I'm a glass half-full kind of person. Yuzu is improving every year. I expect it will continue. Even his number of clean programs per-year is improving. :rock:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

When you look at athletes with good psychology (say Tara Lipinski, D/R, Gordeeva and Grinkov - even when Gordeeva was only 15 or 16 years old) - they had a look of joy before and during their skating. Like they enjoy being at the competition -- yes... even when the competition happens to be the Olympics. Gordeeva was actually smiling with joy during the 1988 Olympic LP. I remember 2010 Olympics in pairs when Shen gave Zhao a big smile before their name was announced in the LP and he smiled back. They looked at peace.

Sometimes his nerves get the better of him (Olympics, Worlds) and sometimes they don't (NHK15, GPF15). He is just an intense guy, I don't think he will be smiling in competition. As for Meagan and Eric, this season apart from the Skate Canada FS and Worlds they were not really smiling. At Nationals Meagan actually looked like she wanted to stop and talk to Eric about stuff during the SP. It was hitting every element and realizing they were going to win that brought out her unbridled joy at Worlds.

As for the "crosses" - he doesn't cross himself. He makes the character "士" which means 'samurai'. Apparently he uses it for correcting his axis. He need a good axis for his jumps.