2016 World Championships Mens Free Skate | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Mens Free Skate

MUALover

Rinkside
So because he is consistently high-scoring and has upgraded his difficulty every year, scoring personal bests every year, we can continue to expect the same from him. -I'm a glass half-full kind of person. Yuzu is improving every year. I expect it will continue. Even his number of clean programs per-year is improving. :rock:

Lol. I think upping his technical content is not the main issue right now. I think working with a good sports psychologist might be.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
It is just mind-blowing to analyze Yuzu being headcase when actually he was the only guy this season who had two back to back pristine clean competitions and sp at WC? no one did it ......:scratch2: and the amount of pressure he handled from NHK to GPF ? you regard GPF as minor competition?

Not that I am against of sports psychologists, in 2001 when Yags lost everything to Plushenko ,he began head casing himself put 10 kg and was even considering to stop before OG, Then Tat hired Zaiganov to work with him, so he won back everything but I don't think Yuzu is in this condition lol
and another, speaking about Plushenko and Yagudin consistency, how can we compare those layouts to current ones? I am huge fan of Yagudin but if you compare you will see sky high difference of that top guys and this top guys in terms of difficulty

and how can someone consider 184 pts as melt down when its not even the PB for 90% men :rolleye:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As for the "crosses" - he doesn't cross himself. He makes the character "士" which means 'samurai'. Apparently he uses it for correcting his axis. He need a good axis for his jumps.

If you watched the whole FS, Brendan does it too, or very similar. It's a reminder of where shoulders and hips should be for the jumps (probably they're both thinking about the quad when they do it).

I think Hanyu puts too much pressure on himself, but I also think the massive concentration of Hanyufans does not help with this. Also, even after "getting" him live, his floppy core on the jump landings still bothers me.

Plushenko has an iron will and doesn't give two hoots what you think of him. I think Hanyu is a little too young/inexperienced relatively speaking to have developed that sort of iron will yet. And that's okay. Even young Plushenko cared too much about what others thought of him.

Marin

Record Breaker
If you watched the whole FS, Brendan does it too, or very similar. It's a reminder of where shoulders and hips should be for the jumps (probably they're both thinking about the quad when they do it).

I think Hanyu puts too much pressure on himself, but I also think the massive concentration of Hanyufans does not help with this. Also, even after "getting" him live, his floppy core on the jump landings still bothers me.

Plushenko has an iron will and doesn't give two hoots what you think of him. I think Hanyu is a little too young/inexperienced relatively speaking to have developed that sort of iron will yet. And that's okay. Even young Plushenko cared too much about what others thought of him.

I agree with you in every word you said , except for the floppy core :biggrin:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I'm so tired of all the Yuzuru Hanyu hype - saying "he's the best who ever lived" - how quickly we forget Yagudin or Plushenko. :laugh::laugh: - who actually don't fall on their tush every Worlds or Olympics and had more artistry. Yuruzu never delivers in competition. I don't care about his OGM either. He's not the best skater in the world if he doesn't deliver in competition at Worlds. He's certainly not the male version of Kim Yuna who had nerves of steel.

And I prefer Fernandez's style so much more. Yuzuru has a feminine look to his skating.

It doesn't matter with reality who you prefer and who not, but Hanyu is the only one who skated 5 perfectly clean programs this season with insane difficulty. And yes, he is the best when he skates his best, no matter how hard you are going to try to say he is not.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

If this 'headcase' has a season like this and past behaviour best predictor of future behaviour, I cannot wait for next season :hap93:

Yuzuru's 2015-2016 Season

Competitions
Gold - Skate Canada Autumn Classic 2015
Silver - Skate Canada International 2015
Gold - NHK Trophy 2015
Gold - Grand Prix Final 2015
Gold - Japanese Nationals 2015
Silver - Worlds 2016

World Records
NHK Short Program 106.33
NHK Long Program 216.07
NHK Total Score 322.40
GPF Short Program 110.95
GPF Long Program 219.48
GPF Total Score 330.43

Perfect Programs
Two back-to-back competitions with clean SPs and LPs
Three clean SPs - NHK, GPF, Worlds
Two clean LPs - NHK, GPF

First man to win 3 straight GPFs and score 200 FP and 300 Total
Won 4th straight Japanese Nationals

Last edited:

Marin

Record Breaker
and about Yuna Kim , she was amazing competitor and one of the greatest skaters of all time, however she won only 2 world champs one in 2009 second only 3 years later after two silvers and one year off (even she deserved lot more in my eyes) ...during her career she skated only 3 absolutely clean competitions...... :handw:

I perfectly understand preferences and the matter of taste, just no need to make a iron curtain between your own little world and the reality :dance3:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Very, very unusual comments. Even at the Olympics. He had a bad free skate but he also had an essentially perfect SP (people seem to forget this, and that the scores ADD TOGETER now). He's only 21! Geez...

MUALover

Rinkside
Very, very unusual comments. Even at the Olympics. He had a bad free skate but he also had an essentially perfect SP (people seem to forget this, and that the scores ADD TOGETER now). He's only 21! Geez...

How old was Tara Lipinski and Kim Yuna at their Olympic Games - the biggest competition of their lives? What about Yagudin, Plushenko at their first Worlds or Olympics?

Countless other athletes aged much younger (aka 14 years old) have delivered - I'm not talking about figure skating per se but also other sports like gymnastics as well. Shannon Miller, who is known to be one of the best competitors out there, was 15 at Barcelona. Since when did age become an excuse?

21 is not young in sports terms either.

Last edited:

MUALover

Rinkside

Well so did Sasha Cohen. I don't remember her getting accolades for "being the best there is". Lmao.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
How old was Tara Lipinski and Kim Yuna at their Olympic Games - the biggest competition of their lives? What about Yagudin, Plushenko at their first Worlds or Olympics?

as far as I remember Plushenko bombed his first Worlds, he fall in sp at first olympics, and Yagudin too at his first olympics, and level of difficulty was MUCH lower

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well so did Sasha Cohen. I don't remember her getting accolades for "being the best there is". Lmao.
I'm not sure what your point is any more?

Is it that you don't agree with people thinking that Yuzu is the best men's skater?

Opinions like 'Best ever' are built upon whatever the person values most in skating. So why get up in arms because some people think Yuzu is the best? It's just their opinion.

If solid competitive nerves make a skater the best, then Elvis Stojiko is the best ever, and Satoko Miyahara.

If difficulty of jumps makes a skater the best, then Boyang Jin is the best ever.

For me Yuzu is the best presently because of his over-all results this season and the fact that I really, really, like his style of skating.
He has great spins, great jumps, great skating skills, great expressiveness and musicality, and yes, great competitiveness and this year the ability to put it all together perfectly. For me, this makes him the best.

It may be different for others.

MUALover

Rinkside
as far as I remember Plushenko bombed his first Worlds, he fall in sp at first olympics, and Yagudin too at his first olympics, and level of difficulty was MUCH lower

Well at least Plushenko was going clean in programs at Worlds at a age far younger than 21. I don't think Plushenko was a good competitor per se. He never performed his best at 2002 or 2006 Olympics but in 2006 he didn't make any major errors at least.

Yagudin was sick in 1998.

Look... I understand the Japanese fans LOVE Yuzuru Hanyu. But that doesn't mean they should be blind to his faults. The best athletes are the ones who have nerves of steel. People with nerves of glass or a thin skin just don't need to be in this profession.

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Well at least Plushenko was going clean in programs at Worlds at a age far younger than 21. I don't think Plushenko was a good competitor per se. He never performed his best at 2002 or 2006 Olympics but in 2006 he didn't make any major errors at least.

Look... I understand the Japanese fans LOVE Yuzuru Hanyu. But that doesn't mean they should be blind to his faults. The best athletes are the ones who have nerves of steel. People with nerves of glass or a thin skin just don't need to be in this profession.

a) Not only Japanese fans love Yuzuru.
b) Yeah, right, you decide if a skater deserves to go on with his career. I know loads of skaters who'd kill to have a kind of career Yuzu has had so far.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

By your reckoning the profession doesn't need ANY of the currently competing skaters except for Satoko. Because each and every one of them has given in to nerves at one point or another. It's not just Yuzu that makes mistakes in their programs. In fact, he's a multiple world medalist and Olympic champion because he was able to make less mistakes than others for the past 5 years.
How many times did it take Javi to to work his way from 35th place at worlds to be the strong skater that he is? Should he have stopped at 21years old when he was 4th at the olympics and say, ooh, sorry, gave in to my nerves, I don't belong in this profession?
Sports is about the strong, and the tough, but it is also about overcoming your weaknesses, doing better than before, loving the sport and redemption.
Many said that Ashley should retire because it seemed that she'd never make it and put together 2 strong performances...but she proved them wrong didn't she? Should she have retired because her nerves weren't so good?

No athelete is perfect, nothing is perfect, people love Yuzu not because he is perfect, but because he is striving for perfection with every ounce of his will. And each time he gets up and tries again, he gets closer.

MUALover

Rinkside
By your reckoning the profession doesn't need ANY of the currently competing skaters except for Satoko. Because each and every one of them has given in to nerves at one point or another. It's not just Yuzu that makes mistakes in their programs. In fact, he's a multiple world medalist and Olympic champion because he was able to make less mistakes than others for the past 5 years.
How many times did it take Javi to to work his way from 35th place at worlds to be the strong skater that he is? Should he have stopped at 21years old when he was 4th at the olympics and say, ooh, sorry, gave in to my nerves, I don't belong in this profession?
Sports is about the strong, and the tough, but it is also about overcoming your weaknesses, doing better than before, loving the sport and redemption.
Many said that Ashley should retire because it seemed that she'd never make it and put together 2 strong performances...but she proved them wrong didn't she? Should she have retired because her nerves weren't so good?

No athelete is perfect, nothing is perfect, people love Yuzu not because he is perfect, but because he is striving for perfection with every ounce of his will. And each time he gets up and tries again, he gets closer.

Well if falling multiple times in a Worlds LP is getting closer (his fourth trip to Worlds), OK.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuzuru had multiple hand touches on the ice.

That's why Javi won. But what does it have to do with whether or not someone should continue to skate?

The scores Hanyu posted at this Worlds are better than ever. -Improvement is there. It may not be perfection yet, but it is getting closer.

Another interesting note, it took Javi 7 tries before he got on the worlds podium...on the 7th attempt. Persistence pays off.

Last edited:

Marin

Record Breaker
Not only Japanese people love Yuzuru, if you check and inform yourself well.......