2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 326 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not saying that someone's screwing Yulya over, but I still got the feeling that her name is being traded.

Or..Yulia’s just lended her name and presence to a group who wanted to increase their local interest in the sport. Maybe even Yulia wants to test the feeling of coaching and will simply be helping and learning from already established coaches while being the face of the camp. I guess when we start to assume things anything is possible.

Personally I find it really cool that her and one of her closest friends from skating in Elena have teamed up. After the last interview where she said she put her skates in a box after Rostelecom and hadn’t touched them since and didn’t have a desire to I think this is a really good sign. And as I am someone who has worked on the ice with professional coaches and former Olympic athletes I don’t think she is going to ruin anyone’s lives. lol.

I hope she becomes a choreographer at some point and does some ice shows too but...one step at a time though but one can dream right. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

and people like lipnitskaya and illinykh they don't even recieved a basic education

eteri is an actual coach of the highest category

Does anyone know for fact that she doesn’t have the credentials needed to do this or is this just speculation? I’ve followed her pretty closely but I’ve never seen her declare what classes she has been taking. I know she was taking courses recently and at Sambo but what they were...I don’t know. She did receive a Master of Sport degree which at the time people said enabled her to teach when she retired but I didn’t look much into it at the time.

tjb

Match Penalty
Does anyone know for fact that she doesn’t have the credentials needed to do this or is this just speculation? I’ve followed her pretty closely but I’ve never seen her declare what classes she has been taking. I know she was taking courses recently and at Sambo but what they were...I don’t know. She did receive a Master of Sport degree which at the time people said enabled her to teach when she retired but I didn’t look much into it at the time.

master of sports degree allows athletes to enter a sports university without passing entry exams. yulia certainly doesn't have a university education (it's not just some "courses', it's a 5-6 years long higher education). i've heard some rumors last year that she became a university student, but i'm not even sure that it was about sports university, i think there were some talks about moscow state university or something like that

schizoanalyst

Medalist
For what it's worth, the economic literatures evidence on whether licensing and educational requirements raise quality is actually *very mixed* and usually leans towards it being minimal or even negative for quality. There are a few exceptions where big impacts were found (midwifery education requirements+licenses in the US is the most famous), but even education requirements+licenses of school teachers has been found to historically produce little change in quality of education. That's why I'm generically skeptical of credentialism as a marker for the quality of a coach. If uncredentialed coaches are bad, they won't produce good or improving students and people will enroll with different instructors. Seems like a problem that solves itself generally.

uhh

Medalist
Elena has been studying to be a coach, although I don't know where she got to with the formal certification. But it has been an ambition of hers for a long time. In Kustarova's group she worked with many of the little kids at the rink, and went with them to competitions last year when Ruslan was injured & Kustarova was off with her main junior teams at other events. So this isn't a couple of jokers with no concept of what they need to provide for training - and with Miroshkin as well they have a really good range of experiences, and it sounds like they will be bringing in plenty of other experts.

hanca

Record Breaker
i think all of russian coaches were skaters in the past. i can't remember a single person who wasn't a skater.
but to become a coach you also have to recieve a sports education. many of the athletes are learning in the university during their careers. medvedeva for example became a student of a state university of physycal education this year, because she wants to be a coach in the future. but after university you only receiving a lower level licence, there is additional education required (and some low level coaching expirience) to get a higher level licence to become an actual coach.
i don't think that plushenko has a high level coaching licence.
and people like lipnitskaya and illinykh they don't even recieved a basic education

eteri is an actual coach of the highest category
Not all. Zueva was not a skater. She got into figure skating through choreographing programs for Russian skaters, if I recall correctly, but at that time she didn’t even know what is possible and what isn’t on the ice.

ETA: no , I am wrong. Zueva also used to be a skater. Not sure why in the book about Gordeeva - Grinkov they described how she used to make a program and how they had to tell her that sone things are not doable. If she was a skater, she should have known.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not all. Zueva was not a skater. She got into figure skating through choreographing programs for Russian skaters, if I recall correctly, but at that time she didn’t even know what is possible and what isn’t on the ice.

ETA: no , I am wrong. Zueva also used to be a skater. Not sure why in the book about Gordeeva - Grinkov they described how she used to make a program and how they had to tell her that sone things are not doable. If she was a skater, she should have known.

Was it related to pairs stuff? Because she did dance, so maybe it would be because of that.

tars

Record Breaker
She did receive a Master of Sport degree which at the time people said enabled her to teach when she retired but I didn’t look much into it at the time.
Merited Master of Sport of Russia to be exact. The highest and most prestigious sport rank in Russia.

Badge

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I've seen something like this on Russian TV. But it must have been before 2005, when I still watched TV. :)

For the japanese media or the public.

I heard (but cannot confirm) that the tickets will be raffled off for free.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For a long time, I've been wondering if you were not a skater/ice dancer yourself, how do you coach? Theoretically you can, but you cannot demonstrate. I don't think Jason Brown's coach is a skater herself. I think wiki says she was a jazz dancer.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Is Valeria Mikhailova with Plushy now? She was featured on one of their instagram posts with Sima.

hanca

Record Breaker
Was it related to pairs stuff? Because she did dance, so maybe it would be because of that.

Maybe. Or it was because they were juniors and therefore could not be on the same skill level with steps as a senior dancer. But from what they were describing, those were weird things she wanted. If I recall correctly, it was like winking and clapping in the middle of a step or things like that. But I read the book about 8 years ago so I may be wrong.

hanca

Record Breaker
Is Valeria Mikhailova with Plushy now? She was featured on one of their instagram posts with Sima.

Two possible explanations. Maybe the rumour about Goncharenko moving to Pluschenko is true. Mikhailova had Goncharenko so she could have moved with her to keep her as a coach. Or, maybe she saw how quickly Serafima progressed and decided she needs to take action too otherwise next season when about 8 pretty decent skaters become senior eligible, she would be forgotten. I am not thinking that all of them will be allowed to move to seniors, but even if only four moved, that could make senior ladies quite crowded and she is not a skater that can easily achieve scores 190+.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I just realized that several high-level skaters won't even qualify for nationals next year unless a. lots of retirements happen or b. they increase the ladies to 24
Because there's:
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Alina Zagitova
3. Maria Sotskova
4. Polina Tsurskaya
5. Elena Radionova
6. Daria Panenkova
7. Stanislava Konstantinova
8. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
9. Anna Pogorilaya
who will get GP spots, provided Anna gets the Rostelecom host spot because her SB is 156... and her WS will probably drop dramatically after the Olympics and Worlds
10. Alexandra Trusova
11. Alena Kostornaya
12. Anastasia Tarakanova
13. Viktoria Vasilieva
14. Anna Shcherbakova
15. Alena Kanysheva / Ksenia Sinitsyna --> whoever gets the last JGPF spot probably, assuming it's ALL Russian
this last girl probably won't be age eligible for nationals so I won't include her here
15-18: four of these girls
Anastasia Gulyakova
Sofia Samodurova
Elizaveta Nugumanova
Anastasia Gubanova
Ekaterina Kurakova
Anna Tarusina
Serafima Sakhanovich
Valeriia Mikhailova
Alena Leonova *not high enough SB for GP, will probably retire anyway*
Natalia Ogoreltseva *not at the level of the top girls but a seasoned nationals competitor and a sentimental favorite of mine :)*
Adelina Sotnikova *if recovered from injury*

if the last JGPF girl is age eligible, then only three of those girls will be able to go

this is going to be so sad... :(

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think it started with Plushenko who was missing his alma mater Lesgaft State Physical Education Academy and decided to call his school an academy. Someone thought it's a new trend and called Lipnitskaya's school an academy too.

What????? He graduated!!!