2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 360 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

colormyworld240

Medalist
There are a lot of predictions these days about different skaters' future. And there are more than 7 billions of people on the Earth. But none of them predicted (before 2016) Alina's success. So I believe to none of you. Sorry :biggrin:

Obviously not, she wasn't on the international scene and no one knew her. You can also say no one predicted Evgenia's success before 2013. You can also say that for any skater before they're known...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Here's to hoping that Alina can deal with puberty well. Evgenia it didn't hurt that much but I really see her as more of a special case than what is going to be the norm. I would assume that Zagitova is still going to have an advantage when it comes to jumps in comparison to Medvedeva, but can she keep them at the current level and will she able to have similar consistency...? It's always very difficult to predict this sort of a thing beforehand.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Here's to hoping that Alina can deal with puberty well. Evgenia it didn't hurt that much but I really see her as more of a special case than what is going to be the norm. I would assume that Zagitova is still going to have an advantage when it comes to jumps in comparison to Medvedeva, but can she keep them at the current level and will she able to have similar consistency...? It's always very difficult to predict this sort of a thing beforehand.

i think she changed noticeably over the past year.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
i think she changed noticeably over the past year.
People tend to change noticeably over the course of a year but the reality is, she still doesn't look anything like post-puberty. Compare to Medvedeva for example. I have yet to be wrong about pre-puberty vs post-puberty, it's pretty obvious even at a glance.

Grin

Medalist
People tend to change noticeably over the course of a year but the reality is, she still doesn't look anything like post-puberty. Compare to Medvedeva for example. I have yet to be wrong about pre-puberty vs post-puberty, it's pretty obvious even at a glance.

Usually Tatar girls mature early (14-15)

Corwin

On the Ice
Country
Russia
RT: Ok, you're saying that you tried not to pay attention to anything in the media and just stay out of things. But you probably heard what the Americans said about your program. In particular, when after your free skate routine Ashley Wagner said ‘this is not a program, all the jumps are in the second part.’ Did you find out right away? Or you were told later?

Alina: I saw it on Instagram. I can say that it only spurred me on to be stronger and made me want to prove that this is not true. But there's no proving anything to such people. She could try skating such a program at the Olympics and I'll be happy to watch her do it and I won't give the same reaction.

Full interview

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Based on Eteri's selection standards, her students' body type should receive minimum impact from puberty. I won't be surprised that if she checked their parents because genetics are the strongest predictor for athletics (their life style and diet are assumably healthy). It also depends on how much they grow. If Elena R didn't grow so much (168mm per ISU bio!!!), she should have been much more consistent in the past two seasons. Hope Alina and Evgenia will have Satoko's luck. A lot skaters gain some weight in the first few years of puberty, but shed some pounds later, both Mirai and Osmond are good examples.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Based on Eteri's selection standards, her students' body type should receive minimum impact from puberty. I won't be surprised that if she checked their parents because genetics are the strongest predictor for athletics (their life style and diet are assumably healthy). It also depends on how much they grow. If Elena R didn't grow so much (168mm per ISU bio!!!), she should have been much more consistent in the past two seasons. Hope Alina and Evgenia will have Satoko's luck. A lot skaters gain some weight in the first few years of puberty, but shed some pounds later, both Mirai and Osmond are good examples.
Polina's parents ARE TALL!
Her brother is about 6.5' ..... :laugh:

But Alina's mother ... looks like her older sis.
Eteri and Alina's mother https://youtu.be/3mCtsLgldA4?t=2m50s

russianfan

Match Penalty
Zagitova, on the contrary, was beaten by Honda and Kihira.

But it hasn't changed anything at all - she still went to the final and won it.

Almost beaten by Higuchi.

"almost" doesn't count

RT: Ok, you're saying that you tried not to pay attention to anything in the media and just stay out of things. But you probably heard what the Americans said about your program. In particular, when after your free skate routine Ashley Wagner said ‘this is not a program, all the jumps are in the second part.’ Did you find out right away? Or you were told later?

Alina: I saw it on Instagram. I can say that it only spurred me on to be stronger and made me want to prove that this is not true. But there's no proving anything to such people. She could try skating such a program at the Olympics and I'll be happy to watch her do it and I won't give the same reaction.

Full interview

:laugh2: :agree:

Imagine

Medalist

Full interview

Awww Alina...:( I love this girl even more now! You are stronger than the haters, and there’s definitely no need to worry about that one in particular. :rolleye: She’ll never see another Olympics again in her competitive career. You, on the other hand, just need to stay focused on the more relevant competitors and continue down your path of greatness! :thumbsup:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
It's possible she receives minimum impact from puberty of course. But even so - I doubt it's less impact than Medvedeva and Medvedeva looks completely different now than she looked 2 years ago. Just compare her and Zagitova's bodies in the Olympics. And Medvedeva is not at all the standard when it comes to puberty changes. A slight change like that could do something like impacting 3Lo combos, which is a pretty big deal for Zagitova.

The reality is, there still is only one Eteri skater who got through puberty without issues and that's Medvedeva.

Alina is during puberty... I don't think it's over yet, but still.
Her body changed a lot from last year. She grew around 5 cm.
Well, the important thing is the "curve gain", so to speak. So until she has that, it's hard to say anything.

madison

Record Breaker
It's possible she receives minimum impact from puberty of course. But even so - I doubt it's less impact than Medvedeva and Medvedeva looks completely different now than she looked 2 years ago. Just compare her and Zagitova's bodies in the Olympics. And Medvedeva is not at all the standard when it comes to puberty changes. A slight change like that could do something like impacting 3Lo combos, which is a pretty big deal for Zagitova.

The reality is, there still is only one Eteri skater who got through puberty without issues and that's Medvedeva.
Alina is during puberty... I don't think it's over yet, but still.
Her body changed a lot from last year. She grew around 5 cm.

colormyworld240

Medalist
But she can try 3A. She doesn't jump a rippon/tano 2A and I suspect that it is because her team considered pushing her to jump a 3A.

Her Axel is nowhere close to being good enough to be able to do a triple. The Axel along with the Salchow are her worst jumps. If anything, the lutz, flip, and loop are her best, but I can't imagine her or any other lady being able to do those as quads.

moriel

Record Breaker
Her Axel is nowhere close to being good enough to be able to do a triple. The Axel along with the Salchow are her worst jumps. If anything, the lutz, flip, and loop are her best, but I can't imagine her or any other lady being able to do those as quads.

Well, tbh maybe Tsurskaya or Scherbakova. But we dont know yet since both are getting back on track after injuries.