2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Grand Prix Selection

skatemouse

On the Ice
Pairs chart now has Marissa & Mervin listed for the France opening.

I would have thought this would have gone to Cain/Leduc regardless of how they skated as the SA spot was filled with Nate and Deanna. I am pretty shocked and Marissa and mervin are not Oly eligible. .

beki

Medalist
Patrick never should've had Marina from the start. There I said it.

Isn't Patrick basically guiding himself at this point? I haven't quite understood his coaching situation since his comeback. But I will say during his time with Kathy Johnson his expressiveness and movement quality improved.

nimi

Medalist
I would have thought this would have gone to Cain/Leduc regardless of how they skated as the SA spot was filled with Nate and Deanna. I am pretty shocked and Marissa and mervin are not Oly eligible. .
It was the French fed who invited them, right? Why should have they gone for Cain/Leduc as their first choice?

Mervissa have competed in the French GP earlier; maybe the French audience liked them or something and that contributed to the organizers' decision to invite them, dunno.

Also, given that Ashley was suffering from a stomach issue in China and "felt incredibly weak through the competition", travelling to France to compete almost right away might not have been a very appealing or sensible option to them, even if they were asked.

uhh

Medalist

It's not up to USFS, it's the choice of the French Federation. So internal US politics about who is eligible of the Olympics/the federation's favoured pair doesn't factor.

skatemouse

On the Ice
It was the French fed who invited them, right? Why should have they gone for Cain/Leduc as their first choice?

Mervissa have competed in the French GP earlier; maybe the French audience liked them or something and that contributed to the organizers' decision to invite them, dunno.

Also, given that Ashley was suffering from a stomach issue in China and "felt incredibly weak through the competition", travelling to France to compete almost right away might not have been a very appealing or sensible option to them, even if they were asked.

I did not know that or read it anywhere thanks for posting link. If you think the USFS has NO choice in who goes to these um that's naive. I am sure it is very strategic and the US takes recommendations on their host picks and other countries do too etc. To say that they have no say at all. Hmm ok I think they waited till Ash and Tim skated and then decided and "Strongly recommended" who they wanted to go. Just as other countries do with the US. This is a mostly political sport after all. Cain and Leduc are another top team that is eligible and I am sure they want another GP so Maybe they invited them and they declined? that is possible too.

zebobes

Final Flight
With the French Federation's tendency to invite whoever they think is less threatening to their own skaters, I guess it means that their opinion of Marissa and Mervin is pretty low. I think for skaters who want to get two Grand Prix events and only have one initially, the most sure fire way to NOT get a second assignment is to do really well at your first. I hope Marissa and Mervin can show improvement from their first event.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Politics always plays a part. Always. Maybe they declined because she is ill and recovering. Possibly? Or maybe not but it is a possibility. Other teams, a lot actually are skating at more than once event with only a week break so I am guessing there is something else happening. Regardless was just wondering.

skatemouse

On the Ice
With the French Federation's tendency to invite whoever they think is less threatening to their own skaters, I guess it means that their opinion of Marissa and Mervin is pretty low. I think for skaters who want to get two Grand Prix events and only have one initially, the most sure fire way to NOT get a second assignment is to do really well at your first. I hope Marissa and Mervin can show improvement from their first event.

I would think with that strategy C/L would be the first option above C/T especially because they are Oly eligible and their scores were so low. I am guessing they declined. Regardless good luck to C/T.

zebobes

Final Flight
I would think with that strategy C/L would be the first option above C/T especially because they are Oly eligible and their scores were so low. I am guessing they declined. Regardless good luck to C/T.

Why would the French Fed want to help a team that might be going to the Olympics? There's always the possibility C/L might be the team at the Olympics, whereas everyone knows C/T will not be at this year's Olympics. If they invite C/T, even if this team does well, they don't have to worry about the team's higher point standings affecting starting order at the Olympics and things like that.

skatemouse

On the Ice
Why would the French Fed want to help a team that might be going to the Olympics? There's always the possibility C/L might be the team at the Olympics, whereas everyone knows C/T will not be at this year's Olympics. If they invite C/T, even if this team does well, they don't have to worry about the team's higher point standings affecting starting order at the Olympics and things like that.

Wouldn't it make more sense to invite a team that is eligible and beat them out of the water knowing and saying see they can't touch us. It puts them even higher in the standings. My guess they invited them to insure they were counted out in their minds. C/L I think declined which makes sense. Next was C/T and they accepted as was smart. Its money and another GP. They are not doing that bad on the circuit either so why not? Just a guess but that said it is smarter to invite the team that is eligible that they can beat badly and totally axe them out of contention. In answer to your question. Regardless again either way GO USA!

nimi

Medalist
Do some people here really think C/L could've had the potential to blow J/C out of the water and that the French Fed was concerned about that happening? I like C/L a lot but I only wish I were that optimistic lol!

Or are you thinking about the second French team who's
- not Oly eligible (which is why the Fed gave up their 2nd Oly spot shortly before Nebelhorn)
- therefore doesn't seem to be high on French Fed's priority list ATM and
- who is very beatable by C/L and C/T alike (provided they manage a fairly clean-ish skate, which is not a given)?

Let's face it, any American team that's not the Knierims is not a threat to Vanessa&Morgan (now that they also have the PCS cushion they have) and therefore perfectly "safe" to invite.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Do some people here really think C/L could've had the potential to blow J/C out of the water and that the French Fed was concerned about that happening? I like C/L a lot but I only wish I were that optimistic lol!

- not Oly eligible (which is why the Fed gave up their 2nd Oly spot shortly before Nebelhorn)
- who is very beatable by C/L and C/T alike (provided they manage a fairly clean-ish skate, which is not a given)?

Let's face it, any American team that's not the Knierims is not a threat to Vanessa&Morgan (now that they also have the PCS cushion they have) and therefore perfectly "safe" to invite.

it's the same narrative all the time ;) people forget that if you are getting invited at this stage, you are clearly usually NOT a favourite to disturb anyone originally invited ;)
funny... C/L or C/T, they will finish in the bottom 3

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*crosses fingers, toes and everything* Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani. Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani. Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani....

tulosai

Record Breaker

This. Let's be real guys, neither C/LD nor C/T are anywhere near J/C at this point. J/C could probably fall on all their elements and beat both these teams at this point, especially in France, sorry. I don't buy that the French Fed was sitting there thinking hmmm C/LD are such a danger to us, better pick C/T. As for the idea that C/LD might be the team to go to the Olympics, that's cute. I really like them and had high hopes for them last year but anyone who's seen them skate this year knows they aren't going to the Olympics, and will be lucky if they get to go to Worlds.

As nimi points out the second French team, whose names I do not even remember right now, maybe Esbrat is one of them or something like that with me butchering the spelling... if you think the French fed is concerned about them at this point you are mistaken. I could go on about that but trust me, they aren't concerned about if C/LD or C/T beats them.

However, the idea that the USA asked the French fed to invite C/T to me also does not ring true. I don't believe this is as complicated as some posters wish it was. I do agree these decisions are usually strategic in some way but to me it's just as likely in this case that the French fed got together, got drunk, and started throwing darts at a dart board. Maybe they had the idea that C/T are more popular in France. Maybe they had the idea that the USA prefers C/T. Maybe they say C/LD's meltdown last weekend and took pity on them or didn't want the French citizens to be subjected to that. At the end of the day though who cares. This isn't life or death and most likely, I'm sorry to say, is simply the difference between C/T coming and finishing 7th or maybe 6th if they avoid meltdown as usual, or C/LD coming and finishing 7th or maybe 6th if they've somehow dramatically improved overnight.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
*crosses fingers, toes and everything* Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani. Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani. Please give Zijun's empty spot to Kailani....

Or Courtney. I wouldn't complain about either.

LRK

Record Breaker
Are any of the hosts obliged to replace anyone who withdraws at this point?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Is Matilda Algotsson on the replacement list? Now that Joshi gave up competitive skating, Matilda will probably get the olympic spot. It would be awsome for her to get the experience of a Grand Prix.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Would be nice, but very improbable as the cost of importing her from Australia at short notice would be too great. If they fill the spot at all (and they don't have to at this point) it will probably be with a European skater.