2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Why don’t people like B/S ? Did they do something wrong? Are they supposedly the “2016 Boyang Jin” of ice dance?

There are many people who have resentment against Russian skaters and officials here, because of the reputation, the drama etc. However, B/S in comparaison are drama-free (Yes, there is the meldonium story, but WADA screwed up with the testing so Katya was reinstated). They seem friendly with a lot of foreign skaters (often posting on their instagram), and don't often get pushed at competitions even if some people like to think the opposite... it happened but compared to some others, WAY less - In my mind they should have been 2nd at europeans in 2017 and 2nd in Cup of China 2017 (and now they're out of GPF). So much for the hate. :disagree:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why don’t people like B/S ? Did they do something wrong? Are they supposedly the “2016 Boyang Jin” of ice dance?

Her posture embarrasses the legacy of the great women of Russian ice dance. She is a very terrible skater. One can’t even comprehend how someone with her posture got to even be a part of a russian number one dance team. B/s placement is always far too high. They were fifth in 2017 when they shouldn’t have even been in the top 10. The issue is even though they are not successful compared to any previous Russia number 1 team their success is seen as purely political and due to Russia fixing events. I have wondered so much why Russia would fix them a fifth place and not some kind of medal but almost everyone agrees as articulated by Carol lane that all their success is political and undeserved and is all because other countries believe they must give a Russian dance team some success so Russia will give them something!

For some reason Russian ice dance elites decided to make them the number one team after the Vancouver Olympics rather than r/t or new senior i/k or new team k/a. They should have never even been Russia number 3 in Vancouver it should have been r/s!!! It was a catastrophic error.

Less than One point destroyed Russian ice dance

2 Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev Moscow 189.29
3 Ekaterina Rubleva / Ivan Shefer Moscow 188.46

This caused R/S to retire so maybe they would have continued and they’d have been number 1!

There are many people who have resentment against Russian skaters and officials here, because of the reputation, the drama etc. However, B/S in comparaison are drama-free (Yes, there is the meldonium story, but WADA screwed up with the testing so Katya was reinstated). They seem friendly with a lot of foreign skaters (often posting on their instagram), and don't often get pushed at competitions even if some people like to think the opposite... it happened but compared to some others, WAY less - In my mind they should have been 2nd at europeans in 2017 and 2nd in Cup of China 2017 (and now they're out of GPF). So much for the hate. :disagree:

The worst drama in Russian ice dance is bobrova’s posture!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Or maybe people simply dislike their skating, or are at least indifferent to them? (Like I am)

I find B/S to be laborous (especially if you compare with other teams who receive similar scores, in some cases noticeably lower ones). Their programs also strike me as imposed, her bent forward posture is also not optimal.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Or maybe people simply dislike their skating, or are at least indifferent to them? (Like I am)

I find B/S to be laborous (especially if you compare with other teams who receive similar scores, in some cases noticeably lower ones). Their programs also strike me as imposed, her bent forward posture is also not optimal.

Not optimal is so nice! To be more dramatic it’s potential destroying!! No wonder Soloviev wants to try some competing without bobrova.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Not optimal is so nice! To be more dramatic it’s potential destroying!! No wonder Soloviev wants to try some competing without bobrova.

Well in her partial defence, the Russian school of ice dance worships at the altar of speed at all costs, her coach is also Zhulin. Edge quality and skating skills are sacrificed for this. So only by their complete embarrassment on the international stage will they teach their dancers how to skate. Unfortunately this is somthing you need to be taught at a fairly young age.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
So only by their complete embarrassment on the international stage will they teach their dancers how to skate.

Well, if it matters to anything, some of those that did the embarrassing bit are probably staying out of the Olympics this year, so no need to worry about that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hope b/s change coaches immediately! No skaters season has been worse than their catastrophic disaster

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought the Russian Team was great in the free dance this afternoon. It's too bad they missed the final but, they're on the right track. They're both beautiful skaters and I think they'll be ok at Nationals and Europeans.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All of Zhulin's Russian teams seem to look the same; big and fast (long deep edges) with very little else. But if the judges reward them, why should they change?

They aren’t rewarded. They aren’t in gpf. Zhulin worst coach of all time and destroyed Russian ice dance. Only effective internally within russia but most international judges have extreme hatred for zhulins skaters.

bramweld

Record Breaker
They aren’t rewarded. They aren’t in gpf. Zhulin worst coach of all time and destroyed Russian ice dance. Only effective internally within russia but most international judges have extreme hatred for zhulins skaters.

GPF is primarily about reputation and consistency and in some rare cases just having absolutely smashing programs, they don't have that this season, but let's see what lies ahead. It's about time for some fresh Russian talent to start turning heads. Hope dies last as they say.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Bobrova might get the GP final yet, as I think VM might pull out

No, I don't think they will. It's a "rumor" that started because Kurt Browning in a podcast was asked to make some "bold predictions" for the GPF and he said that. I don't see why they'll pull out anyway.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
No, I don't think they will. It's a "rumor" that started because Kurt Browning in a podcast was asked to make some "bold predictions" for the GPF and he said that. I don't see why they'll pull out anyway.

Yeah, it's hearsay at best. But stranger things have happened.