2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's hearsay at best. But stranger things have happened.

Really, why would he even say that? I'd think he couldn't even breathe something like that unless Tessa and Scott gave him permission to. I hope neither of them are injured though. Not the sort of news I was looking forward to, TBH.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Really, why would he even say that? I'd think he couldn't even breathe something like that unless Tessa and Scott gave him permission to. I hope neither of them are injured though. Not the sort of news I was looking forward to, TBH.

We have zero info about injury, but the Olympic season has proven to be hard on all skaters. But I commented before that it wouldn't be weird to me to see Tessa and Scott passing on the GPF not to risk losing to P/C. At least I wouldn't want to give a win to another team so close to the Olympics with so much riding on the line. It would gut them to come back for the Olympic gold and lose it in the last minute.

bramweld

Record Breaker
We have zero info about injury, but the Olympic season has proven to be hard on all skaters. But I commented before that it wouldn't be weird to me to see Tessa and Scott passing on the GPF not to risk losing to P/C. At least I wouldn't want to give a win to another team so close to the Olympics with so much riding on the line. It would gut them to come back for the Olympic gold and lose it in the last minute.

Well, this I could see on some level. But wouldn't other's fault them for also being cowardly? It doesn't sound like them, unless they've made changes to their programs and they're not quite ready to reveal them maybe? OTOH, maybe they need to face P/C to see just how hard they'll need to press to get that OG? Just a thought, not a declaration of facts on might part....

bramweld

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1boxnegXk&t=10s

Best score for any russian team in an ISU competition. :)

I finally got a chance to view this. It seems they've changed the ending and taken out the flip she does off Dmitry's boot, but the lift they've put in its place simply shows off the bad posture she typically has in lifts. So again I ask why does your team do that? It leaves an ambiguous impression considering its one of the last moments the judges see. Oh well.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I finally got a chance to view this. It seems they've changed the ending and taken out the flip she does off Dmitry's boot, but the lift they've put in its place simply shows off the bad posture she typically has in lifts. So again I ask why does your team do that? It leaves an ambiguous impression considering its one of the last moments the judges see. Oh well.

I hope they clean it. It's not the ungainly one, but not my favorite either. I still wish they'd change the knee lift, but I do know there's nothing I can do about.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, this I could see on some level. But wouldn't other's fault them for also being cowardly? It doesn't sound like them, unless they've made changes to their programs and they're not quite ready to reveal them maybe? OTOH, maybe they need to face P/C to see just how hard they'll need to press to get that OG? Just a thought, not a declaration of facts on might part....

The problem is that they haven't left much room for P/C to pass them last season, but it's obvious it's going to happen at the GPF, if they score around the same they've been getting. It is a fact that whether they are ready or not, working their levels wouldn't hurt. The moment they get all 4s no one can pass them, and it's game over for the P/C.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I hope they clean it. It's not the ungainly one, but not my favorite either. I still wish they'd change the knee lift, but I do know there's nothing I can do about.

Maybe a bit too late now. She slightly wobbled here and you can see that getting flow out of the lift is difficult for them. These are some of the things, the little, but very important things that Gadbois tends to handle so much better for their teams. Hence my disappointment and frustration this year with the work that Zhulin has done for them this season, which could be their last.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Maybe a bit too late now. She slightly wobbled here and you can see that getting flow out of the lift is difficult for them. These are some of the things, the little, but very important things that Gadbois tends to handle so much better for their teams. Hence my disappointment and frustration this year with the work that Zhulin has done for them this season, which could be their last.

I find it kinda funny that this was actually their best dismount, and the most flow they got out of the lift, but the middle was really scary for a bit.

Gabdois have a lot of creativity and care for details, but I'm severely disappointed with the lifts they come up for P/C and even H/D this year.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I find it kinda funny that this was actually their best dismount, and the most flow they got out of the lift, but the middle was really scary for a bit.

Gabdois have a lot of creativity and care for details, but I'm severely disappointed with the lifts they come up for P/C and even H/D this year.

Well maybe they might seem less acrobatic but they are effective and flow very nicely into their programs and that is what lifts should do. It makes no sense to have a wow lift that is done poorly and doesn't fit the overall choreography. But I'm hopeful that soon enough a team will come along who can incorporate the wow factor more seemlessly into their choreography. I thought I/K was exceptional at that in the 2013/14 season. Chock and Bates also have very cool lifts but they tend to have trouble with other aspects of their presentation, especially their twizzles of late.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Bobrova might get the GP final yet, as I think VM might pull out

Getting in doesn’t erase that they didn’t get the scores to earn their way in the first time.

GPF is primarily about reputation and consistency and in some rare cases just having absolutely smashing programs, they don't have that this season, but let's see what lies ahead. It's about time for some fresh Russian talent to start turning heads. Hope dies last as they say.

Exactly! No Russian team is reputable anymore and all have bad ijs programs. Fresh Russian talent gets thrown into the Russian Federation ice dance establishmentsmeat grinder and becomes terrible. They will be “rewarded” by having zhulin be their coach.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Interesting results from Golden Spin SD. B/S score 75+, but Z/G scored ~63. Z/G started out well on the GP with an SD score of around 67, then it fell to 64, then here at a senior B where scores can be somewhat inflated they score 62.93 less than Smart/Diaz. Are there issues in the KA camp or is this how inconsistent callers can be across panels? Odd.

Mattieu

Medalist
Interesting results from Golden Spin SD. B/S score 75+, but Z/G scored ~63. Z/G started out well on the GP with an SD score of around 67, then it fell to 64, then here at a senior B where scores can be somewhat inflated they score 62.93 less than Smart/Diaz. Are there issues in the KA camp or is this how inconsistent callers can be across panels? Odd.

Terrible judging with each of the judges having their own agenda
Scores were only inflated for the chosen few,
But skaters like L/D, Z/G and S/D getting less than they got on the GPs
L/D got 62.50 on the Canadian GP and S/D 64.43.

Look at the protocols, the Turkish judge had Z/G in 15th and the Turkish team in 3rd place
- no personal agenda there :dumb:

The Spanish judge
BS 8.50 8.25 8.25 8.50 8.25
HK 7.50 7.75 8.00 8.00 7.75
SD 7.75 7.50 8.50 8.25 8.25

bramweld

Record Breaker
Terrible judging with each of the judges having their own agenda
Scores were only inflated for the chosen few,
But skaters like L/D, Z/G and S/D getting less than they got on the GPs
L/D got 62.50 on the Canadian GP and S/D 64.43.

Look at the protocols, the Turkish judge had Z/G in 15th and the Turkish team in 3rd place
- no personal agenda there :dumb:

The Spanish judge
BS 8.50 8.25 8.25 8.50 8.25
HK 7.50 7.75 8.00 8.00 7.75
SD 7.75 7.50 8.50 8.25 8.25

I don't know where they find the motivation to continue at times with the judging so absolutely ridiculous. Z/G in 15th and Alcar et al. in 3rd? I Just can't.

Lana05

Final Flight
50th Golden Spin of Zagreb
Junior Ice Dance
Eva Kuts/Dimitri Mikhailov 139.82 1
Ekatarina Andreeva/Ivan Desyatov 132.58 3
Don't know why it's written as dImitri and ekatArina

Junior Grand Prix Final
Anastasia Scoptcova/Kirill Aleshin 65.87 1 after SP
Sofia Polishchuk/Alexander Vakhnov 63.17 3
Sofia Shevchenko/Igor Eremenko 60.10 5
Arina Ushakova/Maksim Nekrasov 58.53 6

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think Z/G could have garnered some points in PCS, at least to finish around the 65 mark, or something. But their pattern was very dodgy, and the GOE to some of the elements didn't feel undeserved. Also, L/D were a bit of a mess.

I don't think the rankings were off. The program I enjoyed the most was H/K.

Mattieu

Medalist
I think Z/G could have garnered some points in PCS, at least to finish around the 65 mark, or something. But their pattern was very dodgy, and the GOE to some of the elements didn't feel undeserved. Also, L/D were a bit of a mess.

I don't think the rankings were off. The program I enjoyed the most was H/K.

I agree, not their best skate, but certainly under marked on the PCS, what was that Turkish judge smoking?

I'm more concerned about L/D.
They really aren't having a stellar season, and I fear they may split.
This is the problem with Russian dance, they have great strength in Juniors (4 teams in the JGP final)
But they seem to have great trouble transitioning to Seniors and split in the first Senior season.
If they would just tough it out and stick together, I feel they would bring results

bramweld

Record Breaker
I agree, not their best skate, but certainly under marked on the PCS, what was that Turkish judge smoking?

This is the problem with Russian dance, they have great strength in Juniors (4 teams in the JGP final)
But they seem to have great trouble transitioning to Seniors and split in the first Senior season.
If they would just tough it out and stick together, I feel they would bring results

I think the resources in Russia are just not there. Their best resources are invested primarily in the top 3 seniors. Period. Alla, appears to be in poor shape, is it injury? If not, where are the physical trainers to whip them into shape? The choreography for both programs is also really sub-par. But they made it out of test skates without changes being imposed. So, IMHO, its the Russian ice dance system that fell down here. They were not prepared to deploy more funds for new programs so the kids were stuck with it.

My bright light though, Arina and Maxim, they are a very good pair. They are young but they have everything going for them.

Barb

Record Breaker

it would be the best, seriously, Alla is not good enough, and sometimes time is not enough, H/B continue skating together and she never got a decent level. And the Parsons should be to same, both are good skaters but they look even uncomfortable skating together IMO, like if my brother and I would dancing or skating together, that simply would not work.

I enjoyed the most to Sara and Kirill in Zagreb.

bramweld

Record Breaker
it would be the best, seriously, Alla is not good enough, and sometimes time is not enough, H/B continue skating together and she never got a decent level. And the Parsons should be to same, both are good skaters but they look even uncomfortable skating together IMO, like if my brother and I would dancing or skating together, that simply would not work.

I enjoyed the most to Sara and Kirill in Zagreb.

But who would they pair Drozd with? As much as I used to want him for Ilinykh I am seeing that that would not be good. Considering the dynamics between himself and Alla, why doesn't he try out with Lozko? I could imagine them making a lovely pair together, but preferably with another coaching team, with few exceptions I find his current team unpolished.