2017 CS US International Classic Ladies FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic Ladies FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's exactly what I meant. But I'm not angry, rather than surprised and bemused. I know he's keeping his cards to his chest, which is a great strategy. Just leaves me laughing how this guy can keep surprising me.

Oh, okay. I can go to sleep now. :) :bed: for real this time.

tars

Record Breaker
Marin has always been slow starter to the season. If she presents such a level at this moment, it means real deal for Olympics. :dev2: :yes:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
To go back on topic, I wanted to say I'm way impressed with Mirai getting her 3A! It just shows, I think, that she needed to change something up in her efforts, to stop trying to fix everything (URs, expression) and do something in her skating that inspires her. In a way, that's the whole ball game.

And ... I LOVE her red dress!!! I think it's my favorite ever of her costumes. Ever. The high neck, the sleeveless look has such a streamlining effect. It makes her back and waist look longer. Also, I knew Jeffrey Buttle is a genius, but he has truly reached new heights with Miss Saigon. Like he sees into Mirai's soul and makes it visible.

I love Mirai's dress too! It's exquisite! :love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Marin has always been slow starter to the season. If she presents such a level at this moment, it means real deal for Olympics. :dev2: :yes:

Mmmmmmhmmmm. She's got a ways to catch up to Wakaba at this point -- who scored over 20 points higher at Lombardia. But hey, maybe the Japanese federation will remember how Higuchi lost the 3rd Olympic spot, and fawn over Honda's smile... LOL. :laugh:

lanark

On the Ice
Wow... I am impressed... With the judges. LOL
I wish they were always so... sane.
I'm happy with the results overall.

I love Honda's program, except (and I have said this countless times, sorry) for the singing part. Why??? :(
But it's still a great performance although she had some problems with the altitude. She did look tired towards the end of the program. And her jumps (that I think are already a bit low) took a toll. But she was amazing, I absolutely adore her! Very promising skater.

About Mirai, I think she's great but I have two problems with her FS. The music with lyrics thing(obvs) and the music cut. It's just not good. It starts well but then it gets choppy and it makes no sense, there's no flow. And that of course reflects into her choreo and overall feeling of the program. I had high hopes for her Miss Saigon, but nope. It doesn't do it for me. There is something missing... I should watch it again.
But hey, triple axel: nailed it! I hope she can keep up. Of course she needs to not mess up the other jumps. Then she will have a chance to podium at the Olympics, I feel.

Karen's was the least impressive to me, so... no comments.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Mmmmmmhmmmm. She's got a ways to catch up to Wakaba at this point -- who scored over 20 points higher at Lombardia. But hey, maybe the Japanese federation will remember how Higuchi lost the 3rd Olympic spot, and fawn over Honda's smile... LOL. :laugh:

The scores at Lombardia for the ladies were absurd. Alina got 71+ for a SP with a fall (Marin 66 witha clean one) and Wakaba got away with a ur on her 3lz-3T in the SP which would not have happened here. I think it is reasonable to say both Wakaba and Marin started strong this season and should be considered contenders to the Oly team.

kalle

On the Ice
To go back on topic, I wanted to say I'm way impressed with Mirai getting her 3A! It just shows, I think, that she needed to change something up in her efforts, to stop trying to fix everything (URs, expression) and do something in her skating that inspires her. In a way, that's the whole ball game.

And ... I LOVE her red dress!!! I think it's my favorite ever of her costumes. Ever. The high neck, the sleeveless look has such a streamlining effect. It makes her back and waist look longer. Also, I knew Jeffrey Buttle is a genius, but he has truly reached new heights with Miss Saigon. Like he sees into Mirai's soul and makes it visible.

I have to agree, the dress is a stunner and finally one that highlight her beautiful arms :love:
Speaking about arms...I so wish they would incorporate some additional crisp arm movements (at least during some of the jump setups. The 2A/3T/2T especially comes to my mind..If there were some nice hand movements it would feel less "and here comes the looong setup into the 2A...) Small things that I feel could make a difference of the overall impression.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The freeskate reactions were just posted today- it's even better!

"I was a little bit shocked when I fell on the Lutz, I wasn't expecting it, so...my butt hurts a little bit, so I'm gonna go ice it, which is ironic, because I fell on ice..."

:palmf:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
"I was a little bit shocked when I fell on the Lutz, I wasn't expecting it, so...my butt hurts a little bit, so I'm gonna go ice it, which is ironic, because I fell on ice..."

:palmf:

I didn't know much about Mirai but after seeing this quote and that video I kind of love her now! :laugh:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I was very curious about the outcome of this competition and it's a bit surprising, but in a good way.
Marin looked very promising of course ... I hope that she's able to keep that level during the whole, very long, season.
Glad that Mirai landed her 3A, I also think that the dress is gorgeous. I think she was a bit exhausted in the middle of the FS, recovered nicely and she has still time to build the stamina she needs for this FS.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
What would Marin have scored at Lombardia? I'm guessing over 200 at least, if not 210.

Yes, over 200 for sure. Over 210 - don't think so.

Zagitova vs. Honda.

Combined pcs 99 vs. 95. Honda is more fluid - Zagitova has more connection to the music. I would put them at par, hence, +4 and 202 for Honda.
Combined GOE 20 vs. 16. Zagitova is the better jumper and spinner. Her StSq looked more challenging. But OK, let's give Marin +2 then 206
Base value. And here comes the moment of truth: 101 vs. 88. These are just 2 different universes.

All in all with all "european inflation" Alina would be still 10-12 points higher with Marin winning the deserved but a very distant bronze.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yes, over 200 for sure. Over 210 - don't think so.

Zagitova vs. Honda.

Combined pcs 99 vs. 95. Honda is more fluid - Zagitova has more connection to the music. I would put them at par, hence, +4 and 202 for Honda.
Combined GOE 20 vs. 16. Zagitova is the better jumper and spinner. Her StSq looked more challenging. But OK, let's give Marin +2 then 206
Base value. And here comes the moment of truth: 101 vs. 88. These are just 2 different universes.

All in all with all "european inflation" Alina would be still 10-12 points higher with Marin winning the deserved but a very distant bronze.

We're assuming a lot of things here. Alina's back loading would have still gotten her the win but there's no guarantee Marin wouldn't have gotten a PB as well. I'm gonna leave it for the GP series where Marin will have a new SP to decide who comes out on top in various categories at the end of the season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We're assuming a lot of things here. Alina's back loading would have still gotten her the win but there's no guarantee Marin wouldn't have gotten a PB as well. I'm gonna leave it for the GP series where Marin will have a new SP to decide who comes out on top in various categories at the end of the season.

There is firm logic behind my assumptions. To get her PB Alina improved her BV by 3 points. Marin's BV was 3 points lower than in Taipei.

In fact, Zagitova: JWC BV 97.88 Lombardia BV 100.98
Honda: JWC BV 92.22 US 89.36

Difference BV JWC 5.66 Difference total score 6.99
Difference BV challengers 11.62

Then to assume that the difference in total score would be about 12 (factoring -1 for a fall) is a very sound assumption. And Marin's score would be arounf 206 as I previously suggested.

For podium ambitions Honda needs to build BV - this is sport after all.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I didn't know much about Mirai but after seeing this quote and that video I kind of love her now! :laugh:

My favorite line was "let's just not talk about them, because... I don't want to hear what you have to say..."

Such a boss! :thumbsup: :laugh: