2017 CS US International Classic Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic Ladies SP

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Whut...what are these scores? I thought the top ladies must've fallen or something when I saw the scores....why is there such a gap to the Lombardia scores? 66 vs 74? What? I mean, normally 66 is nice, but I thought this was the season of overscoring? *shakeshead* Well, some debutants are special, and break the records with falls, while others will be kicked to the curb. :unsure:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Whut...what are these scores? I thought the top ladies must've fallen or something when I saw the scores....why is there such a gap to the Lombardia scores? 66 vs 74? What? I mean, normally 66 is nice, but I thought this was the season of overscoring? *shakeshead* Well, some debutants are special, and break the records with falls, while others will be kicked to the curb. :unsure:
I think it's part of the sport. It's trying to entertain us on different levels. I guess it was never really different, the difference today is that we have the chance to watch all the programs.

I really enjoyed Chen (she's just the type to do those overly dramatic, intense pieces, her spins are gorgeous), I'm looking forward to Honda's new program (the old is a nice feel good program, but having already watched it a couple of times last season I honestly didn't bother to watch it until the end). Nagasu's 3A looked promising, she had problems with her program afterwards, but I guess that's understandable, she has to get used to doing this jump in the beginning.
I'm really curious about the outcome of this competition!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's true! It's like everyone is perfectly willing to give Carolina or Elizaveta the benefit of thr doubt, but when Ashley flubs she's dismissed once again! I don't get it. I know her footwork or spins aren't perfect, but she's done extremely well for so done that's been skating senior for over a decade! I'm not saying she deserves a parade or anything, but just one thread dedicated to her once in a while would be nice.

On the plus side, when I mention the figure skating for the Olympics to a friend of mine, a middle aged gentlemen, he mentioned Ashley. I doubt he watches, but if he knows about her then maybe she's recognized more outside the skate to community.
I think that we all judge Carolina differently, simply because we know that we're going to see her at the Olympics if she's able to stay healthy. So her season's preparation is very quite different from all the skaters who have to qualify, like Ashley (and also Elizaveta). She can take her time and peak at the Olympics, I'm sure this is the plan.
Russia doesn't really need Elizaveta, the U.S. needs Ashley in top form, that's why U.S. fans tend to be very critical of her.

Icey

Record Breaker
Seeing some other people having a problem with IN- here's what I was told to do in chrome.

1. Download latest version of Adobe Flash
2. Go to chrome://flags
3. DISABLE the flag that prefers HTML to flash
4. ENABLE the flag that lets all flash scripts run on pages you give permission
5. Press the RELAUNCH button at the bottom

(Is Goldenskate slow for anyone else?)

Chrome users might want to read re Adobe:
https://arstechnica.com/information...bundling-browser-plugin-with-security-update/

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The last part with the spiral and those fabulous spins is my favorite!!! by the way, almost each program finish with spins regardless the intensity of the music. Though I would like a more dramatic final pose, the song does not fit a triumphant final pose

If she can time her spins to the music better, with suitable variation of speed to showcase greater command of skill, it can really highlight the ending. She is one of the best spinners in the world right now, she should totally flaunt it. I thought overall was good enough this early in the season, first half need more work. Looking forward to the polishes to come.

tars

Record Breaker
I have no idea why Mariah kept this SP. She has never been sexy enough or comedic enough to do Roxie Hart. It looks like a little girl in their bedroom playing dress up.
I disagree. Mariah looks super sexy on ice and that's all that counts, off ice she seems to have fun personality as well.

Marin is in process of changing short program, that's why she used her past junior "Smile", so don't judge her too harshly please.
Marina Zueva is going to prepare a new one for her after this tournament, let's be patient and we'll be blessed with another masterpiece. :luv17:

lanark

On the Ice
Can I just take a moment to complain about the music with lyrics trend? :palmf:
Like, it's too much, please stop.
I absolutely hated the music cut for Chen, so distracting. But the drama suits her, she does it well. She is a great skater, but my favorite American is Nagasu.

Mariah Bell was... meh. I don't know... I don't really like her style I guess. Just doesn't do it for me. That Roxy program was a bit awkward. She doesn't have the necessary fire for the performance (at least not at this time). That program felt like it should have gone to Wagner not Bell. Also, she was a little behind the music and with a choreography (well done) like that, you CANNOT be a tiny bit behind the music, you need to hit every note! And she didn't.

But then again, this is just the beginning, they all have time to correct their mistakes and perfect their performances.

Kaori was my favorite. And I absolutely love Marin, but I'm going to wait for her new program. That Junior program Smile definitely does not have enough power for Senior (and that hairdo doesn't help).
But Marin is my favorite senior debutant. She's the one with the greatest potential, imo. She has the fluidity, the artistry, the finesse that is missing for young skaters. Just need to improve her jumps that I think are a little too low. She needs more height and more distance.

By the way, the scores were so low compared to the Lombardia Trophy.... Hmmmm... Why, I wonder.........

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am relieved Marin is getting a new SP. I had pegged her and Wakababy for team Japan for the PyeongChang Olympics 2 years ago... but there are so many talented Japanese youngsters out there, the competition is quite open. She need something stronger and perhaps a bit fiercer and impressionable, this is the seniors. It is fine to do sweet and pretty, but ideally not 2 seasons in a row in my opinion. What is her new SP, is it still smile?

lanark

On the Ice
The last part with the spiral and those fabulous spins is my favorite!!! by the way, almost each program finish with spins regardless the intensity of the music. Though I would like a more dramatic final pose, the song does not fit a triumphant final pose

I was glad to see a skater actually holding a spiral for more than 2 seconds :laugh:

And I agree the ending pose could be better...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marin's new SP: Jealousy, La Cumparsita

But it is well hidden, I can't seem to find any sneak peek on her short. Ooh, the mistery... :yay:

I don't think so. That's what she originally announced and she performed it at some show this summer, but she dropped it. That's why she went back to Smile for this comp. She said Marina is going to choreograph a new one right after this and she'll have it for her Grand Prix events

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Marin's new SP: Jealousy, La Cumparsita

But it is well hidden, I can't seem to find any sneak peek on her short. Ooh, the mistery... :yay:

Oh Jealousy Tango!!! I like the sound of it!! Ha i did ask for something stronger, fiercer and impressionable, this should be perfect.

I don't think so. That's what she originally announced and she performed it at some show this summer, but she dropped it. That's why she went back to Smile for this comp. She said Marina is going to choreograph a new one right after this and she'll have it for her Grand Prix events

Even better. Something more original!! I'd love her to create a great program that can showcase Marin the Superstar!!

lanark

On the Ice

Really? So now I'm even more curious and confused. :laugh:

lanark

On the Ice
According to her fanfest it's a piano piece and Jealousy, La Cumparsita will become her ex

Hmm... :scratch2:

Well, I was looking forward to see her do a tango and I read somewhere that her tango was choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle and her Turandot was choreographed by David Wilson. They are two of my favorite choreographers so I was really excited.
I can't find her tango online though. I'll just wait and see then. ;)

thanks! :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's true! It's like everyone is perfectly willing to give Carolina or Elizaveta the benefit of thr doubt, but when Ashley flubs she's dismissed once again! I don't get it. I know her footwork or spins aren't perfect, but she's done extremely well for so done that's been skating senior for over a decade! I'm not saying she deserves a parade or anything, but just one thread dedicated to her once in a while would be nice.

On the plus side, when I mention the figure skating for the Olympics to a friend of mine, a middle aged gentlemen, he mentioned Ashley. I doubt he watches, but if he knows about her then maybe she's recognized more outside the skate to community.

That's good to hear. And now that I think about it, many of my non-figure-skating-fanatic friends are very appreciative of Ashley's actual skating, when the times come round that more people are watching the events. I should try to remember that. So many on this forum have other agendas to advance, and Ashley often gets in the way of those.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai: I am one of those that has always rooted for her over the years and the original version of this SP is definitely the most beautiful she ever had..now, with this 3A strategy, the first half of the program has lost a few of its finest moments.

That is so true. I felt the same thing, but I hadn't re-watched and sometimes it takes me a couple of views to figure things like that out. But this outing of the program felt worse than 'meh' to me. More like why bother to watch this skater.

I loved the initial movements into the 3F/3T..Obviously, it is high gambling this year and I am very curious to know how a SP with watered down choregraphy BUT with a clean 3A will score comparing to original version and jump layout?

That's the big question. If the answer is yes, that's another huge death knell to beautiful figure skating that captures something in the spirit.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but just one thread dedicated to her once in a while would be nice.

:clap:

Russia doesn't really need Elizaveta, the U.S. needs Ashley in top form, that's why U.S. fans tend to be very critical of her.

Good point, but it's no excuse. I'm starting to think (again) it isn't really the American fans, though.

Having talked it through with Frida80, I'm realizing anew that huge numbers of the posts dismissing Ashley as 'done' come from fans whose favorites and countrywomen are Ashley's direct competitors. So they feel they need to squash her down. I don't agree with that (and neither do Ashley's competitors, most of whom respect her and her skating), but I need to remember to consider the source of such posts.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I disagree. Mariah looks super sexy on ice and that's all that counts, off ice she seems to have fun personality as well.

I don't see sex appeal in her movement at all and that's kind of important when you're skating to a song that talks about how you want to be a star and specifically has lyrics talking about how you want people to look at your boobs. Then on top of that the point of Chicago is that it's a satire, there's a layer of frivolity and zaniness to it all, but her movements don't feel uninhibited or funny. Her program is just "cutesy" and it just looks like she is attempting to move as she has been told, rather than feeling it inside and having a real desire or natural ability to express this music.