2017 CS US International Classic Ladies SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic Ladies SP

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
ETA: Okay I just watched Karen's performance and HOLY COW. She is a tour de force. This program is a ride from start to finish. She's FIERCE as heck! Even with the UR 3-3 and the hand down on the loop, just, wow. As far as skating and selling a QUALITY SP, Karen is #1 in the world right now. Also one of the best spinners in the world.

My thoughts exactly!:luv17: I'm really excited for her this season. And for Mirai! Also enjoyed Marin (she has star quality imo) and Kaori (though any program to Beethoven is a plus for me :).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

The program looks good early in the season but some details can flesh out better with greater clarity in the first half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXDV3RdfcNE

0.56 (did well there, but 1/2 second tad slow, need to hold the position for half second longer to make the point)
1.01 (Need some pause/pose acknowledgement before goes into a spin?)
1.07 (change position fit precise to the beat will be great)
1.18 (arm should stretch out convey insanity bit faster, a second too slow)

Step sequence think of slow slow fast fast tango rhythm
1.22 (good beat to acknowledge)
1.26 (another one - same series)
1.31 (another one - same series)
1.43 (important music/mood change)
1.53 (Arms should stretch out to convey lyrical phrase/crescendos change if she move her arms a fraction faster to the strum, it will emphasize the movement more)

If she manages to hit these notes through the choreography it will improve structure, build up and gravitas to her opening half and set the emotional rapture (release) tone for the 2nd half which is simply epic. Love her spirals to the final spin, spine tingling good.

Love the whole package, hair, costume... oh little Karen is all grown up, and I couldn't be more proud of her!! A little bit nitpicking perhaps, but I want to see this be a winning program people talk about. So far, I have not been impressed by any ladies's short yet, but still some to see.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:shocked::palmf:

I kinda done with these repeated programs. It's just crazy at this point. I want a PCS bullet for originality now.

I just read this whole thread, and there's quite the double standard going on. Marin isn't faulted for repeating last year's SP ... well, it's not nice to be mean to someone from another country.

It wasn't mentioned once that Mirai's repeating last year's SP. But then, she's a special case: she's Mirai.

Only Mariah got slammed for repeating last year's SP. And oh yes, naturally Ashley got slammed too, and she's not even here.

MalAssada

Medalist
skylark, Marin is getting a new SP for the Grand Prix season.

Karen was lovely, but hell, those were vocals I hope I never hear again. She looks much more grown up!

frida80

Record Breaker
I just read this whole thread, and there's quite the double standard going on. Marin isn't faulted for repeating last year's SP ... well, it's not nice to be mean to someone from another country.

It wasn't mentioned once that Mirai's repeating last year's SP. But then, she's a special case: she's Mirai.

Only Mariah got slammed for repeating last year's SP. And oh yes, naturally Ashley got slammed too, and she's not even here.

Marin is only using this SP once because she's making a new one for the GP.

Mirai is debuting a 3A, so having old SP makes it easier for her to add in new tech. The same with Yuzuru and Shoma. Plus she's scored the highest she's ever has with it.

Neither of these apply to Mariah. She's not adding new tech. She's going to use this program for the entire season. And she's never scored well with it. It's just disappointing. If it was her FS, then I'd understand.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I liked how Marin skated but it will be hard for her to be competitive with 3F-3T in the first half and 3Lo against Zagitova's 3Lz-3Lo and 3F in the second half. In fact it will be impossible. May be even hard to get into the team. Wakaba means business this season.

Karen skated as if she has fully recognised that she is the US leading lady. Speed and confidence. Huge 3Lz and beautiful 2A. People say that 3T in the combo was UR. Should not be a problem, same as the landing on 3Lo. But some elements of her performance when she was hitting the air with the fists were kind of weird. Of course, I do not expect the same outcry as is about Evgenia's miming but I would be glad if she reconsidered.

Mirai is brave to try 3A but if she does not master it, it will not help her. Her program looked empty and disconnected from the music up until the step sequence where she started to skate to the music and did it in fact quite well. But the first half was meh.

Kaori is a nice girl, very polite and classy in her inteviews. At the same time, her skating does nothing for me. And Beethoven is too big the music for her. Moonlight Sonata might work with Caro but not here, sorry.

Scores look very adequate. Despite Lombardia's inflation I would still place the top 3 in Italy above Marin and Karen:

Wakaba - 70
Alina, Caro - 68
Marin, Karen - 66

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marin is only using this SP once because she's making a new one for the GP.

Mirai is debuting a 3A, so having old SP makes it easier for her to add in new tech. The same with Yuzuru and Shoma. Plus she's scored the highest she's ever has with it.

Neither of these apply to Mariah. She's not adding new tech. She's going to use this program for the entire season. And she's never scored well with it. It's just disappointing. If it was her FS, then I'd understand.

Yes, I understand the reasons. I'm just feeling grumpy, and I usually don't complain but I'm getting tired of not speaking up. Watching Lombardia and this brought to me (probably again, I'd just forgotten) how really severe so many fans are with our own, especially towards Ashley. I don't know for sure that the most vocal critics are Americans, though.

frida80

Record Breaker
Yes, I understand the reasons. I'm just feeling grumpy, and I usually don't complain but I'm getting tired of not speaking up. Watching Lombardia and this brought to me (probably again, I'd just forgotten) how really severe so many fans are with our own, especially towards Ashley. I don't know for sure that the most vocal critics are Americans, though.

Really? I got annoyed because she got virtually ignored why Gracie had thread after thread criticizing her every move. When Ashley skates well, people comment a little and then move on. With Gracie, even if she skated well there were 30 pages complains about her facial expression, arms, and lack of connection to the music. Ashley has anchored held up US ladies since 2012 and people act as though she's not even there sometimes.

Sorry... Rant over.

I'm tired of everyone repeating programs. I have Mirai a pass. Yuzuru a pass on one program, not both. But now that Mariah and Kaetlyn have announce they are repeating programs, I'm officially sick of it. It's a trend I don't like at all.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Marin is lovely, but she skated kind of slow in the first half, and had big troubles centering her spins.
I love Kaori's program, but too bad for the spins and the fall. Her 3-3 is a textbook example.
I like Karen's program, and her spiral is to die for. Mirai looks overscored to me, with a turn-out and 3-2, and a not-so-clean 3A, she had zero expression or connection to the music.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? I got annoyed because she got virtually ignored why Gracie had thread after thread criticizing her every move. When Ashley skates well, people comment a little and then move on. With Gracie, even if she skated well there were 30 pages complains about her facial expression, arms, and lack of connection to the music. Ashley has anchored held up US ladies since 2012 and people act as though she's not even there sometimes.

Sorry... Rant over.

I'm tired of everyone repeating programs. I have Mirai a pass. Yuzuru a pass on one program, not both. But now that Mariah and Kaetlyn have announce they are repeating programs, I'm officially sick of it. It's a trend I don't like at all.

I'm tired of it too. Did Mariah give a reason? Kaetlyn didn't, but I read a word-press interview where she did. With Kaetlyn, I don't know, I feel like people believe she's a contender and she figures, with the muscle Evgenia has built in and built up, she may need to increase her odds of performing well.

You're so right about Ashley. Most of the time she's ignored. But when she has mistakes, they come out of the woodwork to scold. I should just resolve to speak up when it happens ... but then again I fully expect Ashley to kill it this year, so I won't have to. :)

This afternoon, I was thinking about Caro's LP and Elizaveta's LP. If Ashley had skated either of those programs, there would be post after post complaining and writing her off. Doesn't happen with Caro or Liza; they're revered. And as you pointed out, Ashley has anchored US ladies since 2012, held us up consistently. She deserves respect.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I have no idea why Mariah kept this SP. She has never been sexy enough or comedic enough to do Roxie Hart. It looks like a little girl in their bedroom playing dress up.

Karen Chen's program continues to not work in the last segment with the spins, it's such a mismatch to the overwhelmingly intense music.

The ineffectiveness of Nagasu's program has been discussed at length.

andromache

Record Breaker
Marin will probably win me over one day. Her edges are stunning, as are her overall positions, flow, etc. But she has yet to have a program I actually really like? Other than the year she won JW, when she was still much more raw than she is now. This SP in particular is painfully saccharine and junior, despite her magnificent skating skills.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Karen is a tour de force. Speed, drama, great spins, more drama. LOVE it!

Mirai.....bores me. It's just not an exciting or fun or memorable program. At this point she is counting on the 3A, and if she does it in the season and does it when it matters, then good for her.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Karen Chen's program continues to not work in the last segment with the spins, it's such a mismatch to the overwhelmingly intense music.

I agree that the end of the program doesn't quite work. I'm not loving it. However, I won't able to take it if she too goes back to last seasons SP (as wonderful a program as it was). I'm gonna lose it.

ETA: oh, I just realized she changed solo jump back to 3Lo (after doing 3F at Glacier Falls). I kinda hope she'll put the 3F back in once she's confident enough.

evasorange

Final Flight
Marin bored me to tears it's going to be such a long season if she keeps up with these types of scores:disapp: Karen is looking amazing! Also rooting for Mariah she's gotta a lot of potential and while I always want to see new programs I don't mind the chicago repeat it fits her

kalle

On the Ice
Marin: This program felt a bit flat but as she is changing it, no idea to go into details. Jumping was good (love the entrance to her loop) and my only concern is if she want to play with the big girls, she needs to find program that make her stand out from the ordinary "good" programs. She has the talent and I am sure she will grow tremendously over the season. For now, I still think out of the Japanese ladies Satoko is in another league when it comes to presentation but obviously, if the technical part is not there..
All doors seems to be open for those two Olympic spots.

Mirai: I am one of those that has always rooted for her over the years and the original version of this SP is definitely the most beautiful she ever had..now, with this 3A strategy, the first half of the program has lost a few of its finest moments. I loved the initial movements into the 3F/3T..Obviously, it is high gambling this year and I am very curious to know how a SP with watered down choregraphy BUT with a clean 3A will score comparing to original version and jump layout?
Not sure about the 3Lutz either (although I love the height and flow she get on the jump). If she is getting called for it every time, is it still not better point wise to go for the loop and hoping for good GOEs?
In any case, I am actually happy she kept this program and if skated cleanly (and that will always be a big "if") I hope it will create a wow moment for us Mirai fans.

Mariah: Not much to say. Love her lines and the program is not bad. If clean like a whistle, it should score pretty well.
She is flying under the radar a bit and expecting her to take advantage of it and hopefully do well in her LP here.

I have not watched Chens program yet but I love her explosive style and believe US biggest hope for an Olympic medal.
She has it all.

Barb

Record Breaker
I have no idea why Mariah kept this SP. She has never been sexy enough or comedic enough to do Roxie Hart. It looks like a little girl in their bedroom playing dress up.

The ineffectiveness of Nagasu's program has been discussed at length.

The last part with the spiral and those fabulous spins is my favorite!!! by the way, almost each program finish with spins regardless the intensity of the music. Though I would like a more dramatic final pose, the song does not fit a triumphant final pose

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm tired of it too. Did Mariah give a reason? Kaetlyn didn't, but I read a word-press interview where she did. With Kaetlyn, I don't know, I feel like people believe she's a contender and she figures, with the muscle Evgenia has built in and built up, she may need to increase her odds of performing well.

You're so right about Ashley. Most of the time she's ignored. But when she has mistakes, they come out of the woodwork to scold. I should just resolve to speak up when it happens ... but then again I fully expect Ashley to kill it this year, so I won't have to. :)

This afternoon, I was thinking about Caro's LP and Elizaveta's LP. If Ashley had skated either of those programs, there would be post after post complaining and writing her off. Doesn't happen with Caro or Liza; they're revered. And as you pointed out, Ashley has anchored US ladies since 2012, held us up consistently. She deserves respect.

It's true! It's like everyone is perfectly willing to give Carolina or Elizaveta the benefit of thr doubt, but when Ashley flubs she's dismissed once again! I don't get it. I know her footwork or spins aren't perfect, but she's done extremely well for so done that's been skating senior for over a decade! I'm not saying she deserves a parade or anything, but just one thread dedicated to her once in a while would be nice.

On the plus side, when I mention the figure skating for the Olympics to a friend of mine, a middle aged gentlemen, he mentioned Ashley. I doubt he watches, but if he knows about her then maybe she's recognized more outside the skate to community.