2017 CS US International Classic Mens SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic Mens SP

Victura

On the Ice
Most people remember him as skating very much like Patrick.

I've thought so too and was curious whether it's because they both trained under Christy Krall or if that was a similarity they shared early on. Really enjoyed Liam's program and his skating in general (just wish he were a more consistent jumper).

Did my eyes deceive me, or did Brezina try to attempt a 4lz? It looked slightly over 3 but not sure since he came out of it awkwardly and fell.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've thought so too and was curious whether it's because they both trained under Christy Krall or if that was a similarity they shared early on. Really enjoyed Liam's program and his skating in general (just wish he were a more consistent jumper).

Liam has long been very Patrick like in his skating. He only started with Krall in recent years, after Patrick and Krall parted.

In a way it's unfortunate and a shame being unavoidably and constantly compared to incomparable Patrick, for it's hard for Liam to be recognized on his own merits, as beautiful as his skating is. While emulating a great model is smart learning, each person needs to have some uniqueness for personal identity.

I'm very happy for him to have brought it at this event and hope he will prove himself again with the LP.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I need to catch up on this event but I did get the opportunity to watch Nathan's SP and I'm so glad it delivers on the promise of the snippets I saw. I really liked his step sequence! And the beginning choreo is so good, I love it. This song suits his style so much better too. I think he was a bit more relaxed in the Sun Valley clip but this was the official debut of his program so it's natural he was a little more rushed/nervous. But this has really great potential to grow during the season and I love the song so it'll be a joy to listen in the middle of all the warhorses. :laugh:

I like the color of his shirt, too. Though on closeup, I think it's probably a size too large for him.

Also saw Kazuki, who was too a joy to watch. Now I need to go hunt for videos of the other guys. Especially interested in Daddy Mura after reading comments here.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just watched Nathan's SP and what a transformation, compared to last year. If the LP is only half as good it's time to get worried. :eek: (I'm in the Shoma camp) I can see that SP breaking records. Good stuff.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nice big jumps from Michal!

And a nice big fall. But it's good to see him skating with energy and speed. Just lost a bit of control on the last jump.

with Michal, there has to be a zen balance between good and bad in execution, he's a master of that balance:):laugh:

seriously, I have SO MUCH to re-watch, was supposed to check Lombardia yesterday, but fell asleep:palmf:, I have no idea how I'll squeeze re-watching and writing something here...

yude

Record Breaker
I heard Mura was having boot problems like Nathan did at Worlds, i.e., boots breaking down prematurely from practicing quads.

Also it was reported that he had been having trouble in skating at high altitude since practice. In SP, he couldn't control the landings of the jumps, and he rotated more than he had expected. He said he would definitely try 4S in FS taking advantage of high altitude.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Kazuki Tomono is the Tatsuki Machida I've been craving to see for the past 3 seasons.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Hmmm Max had highest tech but Nathan's PCS much higher. Max's numbers just adequate there. I missed both skates so can't tell.

Nathan purposely only performed one quad (his first quad flip/2 combo with a lean on the landing of his quad flip). Still it's a great program out of the gates. It really shows off Nathan's cool personality and his wonderful edgy, modern feel for the music. :love:

Max landed two quads (one in combination) which might account for the very small one point tech score difference. Nathan got higher overall GOE on more of his elements than Max did.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So I finally sat down and had a chance to watch and I'm not even sorry but Max's score is completely screwed up. 86 for that? He's missing at least four points.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm with andromache here. "My Shot" for Nathan, "Wait for It" for Max. And "One Last Time" FOR NOBODY THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Until Hamilton I had no idea I could get so emotional over George Washington but One Last Time gets me every time.

ETA: My fellow Hamilton fans, we are all Jennifer Garner, high on laughing gas and crying about Hamilton. (Google it.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I finally sat down and had a chance to watch and I'm not even sorry but Max's score is completely screwed up. 86 for that? He's missing at least four points.

I have to agree with you here. I'm a fan of both of these skaters. In this case, I believe I'd have put Max ahead.

The gap is a head scratcher for me.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Wow, such high praise especially coming from you. Kazuki would be flattered~

Why is it special because it's coming from me? :laugh: I know Kazuki used to train with Tatsuki when he was younger and is his fan. No wonder he channels his style.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
:hijacked: by me.

Why is it special because it's coming from me? :laugh: I know Kazuki used to train with Tatsuki when he was younger and is his fan. No wonder he channels his style.

The comparison is special coming from you because I realize how much admiration and appreciation you have for Machida's skating. Kazuki obviously has a long way to go, but as his fan, I was thrilled to learn you could see a resemblance in skating style.
Incidentally, I watched Kazuki's "Zigeunerweisen" and Machida's "Dark Eyes" back to back and :jaw: :reye:. Thank you for that.

Okay, sorry folks, back to thread topic~

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok I watched both Nathan's and Max's SPs. I think Nathan's choreo (composition) is a bit better and he performed it a bit better. Given Max's better tech I'd have them about even, maybe Nathan a point higher but not five+ points. Looking forward to LP (if the link doesn't freeze again) and the rest of the fall season comps.

I wish Max would do something lighter for at least one of his programs. I would love to see him do something from the 40s musical Pal Joey (not the terrible film version) . The role was originated by Gene Kelly and there is a home movie clip of his dancing somewhere on the internet. I think Max would be great as Joey and it would loosen him up. I guarantee he would wind up on the podium.