2017 GP Cup of China Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Free Dance

humbaba

Final Flight
So why did judges suddenly dropped C/B? Have they deteriorated that much?

They weren't at the top of their game this weekend. Many level issues in the SD too.

Both these comments are overly pessimistic, to say the least. Reading these two posts, someone unfamiliar with the comp results might well conclude that Chock and Bates had bombed their programs and had a disappointing placement. Instead, given the current ice dance hierarchy, they had about the best outcome they could hope for. They skated two strong programs in their season debut, winning the silver medal behind P/C, defeating B/S in both segments despite an all European tech panel.

The only negative was some missed levels in the SD. B/S also took a hit on the levels in the SD, which were significantly worse than what they were awarded in their previous two comps this season. So it's possible this may have been a strict tech panel. Some might argue they were selectively strict. P/C went into the FD with a big cushion, a nice insurance policy against any mishaps. And the levels of both C/B and B/S rebounded nicely in the free dance. Maybe both teams just got a good rest the night before. :think:

I think C/B have reason to be optimistic. They have two good programs that suit them well. It's up to them now. I wish them well and hope they have a great season. :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Both these comments are overly pessimistic, to say the least. Reading these two posts, someone unfamiliar with the comp results might well conclude that Chock and Bates had bombed their programs and had a disappointing placement. Instead, given the current ice dance hierarchy, they had about the best outcome they could hope for. They skated two strong programs in their season debut, winning the silver medal behind P/C, defeating B/S in both segments despite an all European tech panel.

The only negative was some missed levels in the SD. B/S also took a hit on the levels in the SD, which were significantly worse than what they were awarded in their previous two comps this season. So it's possible this may have been a strict tech panel. Some might argue they were selectively strict. P/C went into the FD with a big cushion, a nice insurance policy against any mishaps. And the levels of both C/B and B/S rebounded nicely in the free dance. Maybe both teams just got a good rest the night before. :think:

I think C/B have reason to be optimistic. They have two good programs that suit them well. It's up to them now. I wish them well and hope they have a great season. :)

I do agree - I bear in mind after seeing them at CoC that this was their premiere of programs, while most of other top teams already used opportunities to skate theirs and get some feedback from competition. Both concepts are quite fitting to them, their aesthetic and give positive impression for me - it's only a matter of polishing technique, gaining more speed due to confidence in performing and then making it shine altogether. And they came 2nd here which bodes well enough in my book

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think C/B did great and they beat B/S. With missed levels and all. So B/S are the ones in big trouble after struggling in two competitions and most likely won't make the GP finals. Russia is in deep trouble and risk not even being in the top 8 Katya has not solved her problems and they have not foound programs to be outstanding.

P/C are wonderful but I really don't think they deserve such generous scores. I would still have their pcs lower in comparison to V and M who I know weren't here but that score is at the end of the season inflated score. He is still a better skater than her and I think that needs tob e reflected in the score. It seems like p/c are the anointed ones though and perhaps there is nothing V and M can do. Right now the Shibutani's are looking good for OBM. No one else has stepped up to the plate y et - though we haven't seen C/L.

I agree C/B have a lot of positives - they beat B/S with room to grow, H/D seem to be still behind them looking at other results, Weaver and Poje's program was so flat they went back to Je suis malade and it is a rarity teams do that and win medals in dancing. PC short dance is much better received this year so V/M lost their needed lead and pc are the iwnners in the free dance usually. I just think itis like they are the chosen team for OGM over V/M. I am not so sure deserved but such is life.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Instead of having these reaction to the scores, I'd like to hear people's opinion on the skates, especially on a technical point of view since this is where P/C got the big score.
You can disagree all you want of course, but I'd rather take a rationnal explanation on this than people's complaints.

EDIT : I found the second showing on the Olympic channel, Ben Agosto is commentating. He details a lot on the technical. I haven't got it for B/S though.

P/C : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tka18KMrxcY
C/B : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd6ahdOU5EI

ChanClan

On the Ice
I'm so annoyed with the overscoring that's going on this season. I get it's the Olympics but come on. It's everybody's first GP and records are being broken already.

rosy14

Final Flight
Such posts are so funny.
Overscored by 2 or 3 points? Why not by 10 points?
At least they broke the 200 points in a Grand Prix which is not in their home country...
We all know the story. P/C are always overscored when they beat V/M, right ?

No, they are overscored since their senior debut. I’d like to know the REAL reason for that, but, due to some Twitter from French FS President, I can imagine why.

Roast Toast

Medalist
These reactions sound soooo threatened. You guys sure are showing a lot of faith in your faves and the Moulin Rouge FD, aren't you? P/C hit more levels than V/M today, that's it, but I'm sure your inane screaming on here and on twitter, youtube, etc... will make the judges reconsider their decision :thumbsup: Glad to see some things never change and Voir fandom is still the toxic shrill-fest it always was.

nimi

Medalist
No, they are overscored since their senior debut. I’d like to know the REAL reason for that, but, due to some Twitter from French FS President, I can imagine why.
You're saying P/C were overscored e.g. in their TEB 2013 SD?

Posts like this are so funny! :laugh2:

rain

Record Breaker
I'm so annoyed with the overscoring that's going on this season. I get it's the Olympics but come on. It's everybody's first GP and records are being broken already.

Don't expect it to stop anytime soon, lol. That's why I don't pay that much attention to the numbers and just look at the placements and relative scores (within competitions. You also can't compare one competition to another. That way lies madness.). So what we see are the judges putting V/M and P/C into the top category, then a significant gap between them and everyone else.

ChanClan

On the Ice
Don't expect it to stop anytime soon, lol. That's why I don't pay that much attention to the numbers and just look at the placements and relative scores (within competitions. You also can't compare one competition to another. That way lies madness.). So what we see are the judges putting V/M and P/C into the top category, then a significant gap between them and everyone else.

Yeah, i don't expect it to stop. Wishful thinking i guess.

rain

Record Breaker
I do not like the massive PCS. There is no room for more points. What is the judges' plan? Give exactly 60.00 points for the top teams at the Olympics?

Actually, I think this is exactly the plan. I would not be at all surprised to see the top free dance at Olympics score essentially perfect.

rain

Record Breaker
BTW.. Births is a perfectly acceptable term to describe how many skaters you are allowed to send to an event. It's just a little old fashioned. Feel free to use it if want to sound cooly old school like me.

I think you mean "berths"....

alain06fr

On the Ice

Indeed... ! After the Chinese plot, the president of the French fed ! Sooooo obvious! ROFL :laugh2:
Tell us more entertaining stories like these ones, it's so fun
This thread becomes more and more hilarious

Bcash

Final Flight
The Judges clearly adore P/C. The scores of the two top teams should have been much closer. Of the ice-dancers, Madi's the best dancer _ very graceful arms/hands, and elegant carriage.

In this field, Papadakis really impressed me with her upper body, arms, and head movements. Chock looked more like a skater executing elements than a dancer.
The Skating Lesson guys once commented how Papadakis is always fluid and light while Tessa Virtue is all radiating force from the core, indicating the latter is more impressive. I agreed with them then but now I can't help but feel this fluidity and ethereal quality is probably harder to achieve when you have to execute all those elements and pushing with your feet all the time.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Jeez, Katya needs to blend that eyeshadow better! But kuddos to her for mantaining her "role" throughout the whole first half of the program, it must be so hard not to look at your partner's face.

They looked so, so happy after finishing this FD, I almost felt sorry for them! All in all, it was a good debut for C/B.