2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Ladies SP

curious

Final Flight
alina zagitova is a fabulous skater,and I'm very much looking forward to see her skate a clean fs and win this comp. no swam lake can hold a candle to Oksana's. she was a true ballerina on ice.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Gabby Daleman finished first with 70.65 in the short program but Wakaba Higuchi (70.53) and Elena Radionova (70.48) are closely behind. It's hard to predict the final outcome but I hope Radionova will hold onto the podium spot. Radionova was beaten by Higuchi in Moscow because of one missing jump in the second half that she could not execute.

gioccia

On the Ice
Alina has improved her skating skills and presentations! Although it's unlikely... but I want her to win the OLY's with clean skates, after all, she has the best potential TES. Sad about that weird fall... but I hope she will pull herself together in the FS. How come she didn't get at least +2 on her technical elements. That entry into the 2A was insanely difficult as all the spins

Daleman was gorgeous, she is one of my fave's. Still can't get over her 3d place in the Worlds. She deserved the silver. Sad about the national policy. In my opinion she's a much better skater than Osmond... Osmond has a nice SP, although it's totally inappropriate to repeat the same routine in the OLY season, like she can't do any better... Alina is the exception because she repeats her juniour FS, not so many people saw that masterpiece and know her.

Anyway my dream podium at the OLY's will be Zagitova, Medvedeva, Daleman... but unfrotunately PCS will do their job.

By the way. those jumps of Radionova, weren/t they UR? Once again... policy, biased judging.

macy

Record Breaker
it's too bad amber isn't more consistent. I've seen her skate rink side back at 2014 (I think) mids and she had SO much speed and power. really remarkable jumps when she hit them. if she could put it together in competition she would definitely be in the conversation for maybe a bronze...she could definitely be a medal contender at US nats too. she has so much potential.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
who said being weird is wrong? go ahead and be weird. but there's also something called performance, refinement, and attack. IMO, in this particular event, she lacked those. The first half was bland (maybe she's nervous) and it didn't even look like a build up to the 2nd part of the program. It felt disconnected, rushed and unfinished. Hence, it felt weird to me. A weirdness that means more about the performance and not the character she was trying to present.

Well of course she could work more in performance and attack. She is still 15. She still doesnt fill the rink as some more mature and expirienced skaters do. But I dont think programme and her skating need refinement. I think its perfect the way it is - for that concept and theme of the programme. I also think it was the best transition from junior to senior i witnessed so far, better than Yulia, Elena and Zhenya. But of course she is not their level yet! Comparing to Honda for example, her first big senior competition was much better.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I missed the Ladies cuz I have to too out to have dinner...But luckily I can watch live tomorrow night!

Alina: At first when I saw in the forum I was like "what? 69 with a fall?". I thought she was overscored, but she was not, at least not very much. Her 3F and 2A were excellent, I LOVE the 3F, with brilliant steps to the music, and the arm during the landing.

Marin: Too bad the +3T was really marginally URed, but the landing of the 3Lo looked the same but it was called clean...Jumps and spins were so much better though. Anyway I think her PCS is severely under marked. She deserves an 8 at least. Not lower than Alina.

Liza: Yes she is back! Wonderful jumps as usual. She looks confident, maybe we can see 3A tomorrow?

Mai: Nice program, especially the step sequence. I also like the change of style she is taking this season. People say they don't like this tango program, I think it's nice. She is able to deliver, and she is working on it. Wish her the best tomorrow. (wow i don't even realise she and Marin actually tied.)

Wakaba: Literally perfect! This program deserves at least 72.

Elena: This program has grown artistically, the choreograph and some tiny movements were refined, nice job. The 3T was definitely URed though. And the PCS...Im not very sure about the Skating Skills...

Gabby: Wonderful 3T+3T. But I like Herodiade much better, I hope she brings it back...this cheesy Carmen is not doing her any good...Im not sure about the PCS too

beki

Medalist
I think Gabby's skating skills improved since last year. Her edges look deeper. Glad to see the monster combo back. Spins a weaker point. Still practicing my real-time flutz viewing—I need slo mo for that!

Wakaba is improving leaps and bounds with every competition. Her expression was superb. Surprised her PCS wasn't up around 35. If she keeps skating well, that will help. Japan is letting their ladies fight it out, not rallying behind anyone, and all their PCS scores are suffering for it. Russia seems to understand how to promote multiple contenders. Canada is also doing a better job at that.

Aside from jumps, I see some improvement in Lena's skating. Her flow across the ice is better, her posture not as hunched. Spins are very good. A charismatic program.

I can see Alina's potential. The movements are too rushed, but the content is impressive. Attractive spin positions. Amazing entry into 2A. If she achieves more refinement and expressiveness in the future, she'll be sensational.

Nice to see Tukt in a sleeveless dress. The program music suits her style, except there are a lot of intricate, faster runs to it where she isn't responding with any corresponding movements. Great lutz, not so much on the combo.

Congratulations to Marin on a cleaner program than last week. How grueling for her. Consistency will help her fight for more-deserved PCS. Those comments by her coach that she doesn't like to practice threw me a little bit. With all that natural talent, I hope she makes the most of it.

I love Mai's FS. She still has some work to do to bring out the character of this SP. But mainly the jumps were a little off. Not too worrisome, expect her to do well in the free.

madison

Record Breaker
Well of course she could work more in performance and attack. She is still 15. She still doesnt fill the rink as some more mature and expirienced skaters do. But I dont think programs and her skating need refinement. I think its perfect the way it is for that programme. I also think it was the best transition from junior to senior i witnessed so far, better than Yulia, Elena and Zhenya. But of course she is not their level yet! Comparing to Honda for example, her first big senior competition was much better.

I really like Alina, I think she has the talent and the ability to create memorable programs. If only Daniil would give her not so crowded choreo. I could see her personality out of the way she's skating and she should try something playful, maybe next season she could try a program on swing or even electro-swing. What I don't like when it comes to programs from Eteri's camp (and it's almost as a general rule) it the fact that everything seems overly studied, I would like more freedom.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Canadaflation strikes again. No idea why they thought Daleman deserved the highest PCS of the night. Mediocre interpretation, zero expression or feel for music. Transitions were OK but not at the level of the best ones.

Ah right, the lutz is also at least a !. It was a Medvedeva grade flutz.

But it's in China... it's literally the other side of the world. :confused:

Daleman skates with speed, attack, and conviction. You might not agree, which is fine, but to many people she is very exciting to watch. I am not a fan of this program for her, though, but her skating ability and expression are world-class IMO. And of course, she jumps big too, and as others have said, her spins have improved (obvs. the layback being an exception). Mediocre interpretation/zero expression/etc. doesn't exactly get you a World bronze medal.

Although, I do think Wakaba should be in first right now... but they're essentially tied, so it's all good.

And as far as why Daleman can get so high with "only a 3-3", check out the GOE on it, her 3T+3T got 10.60 points compared to 10.50 for Radionova's 3Z+3T... it's not just base value but also execution. Wakaba's ! cost her the lead, Radionova's relatively low GOE on some of her spins/jumps cost her the lead... and 4-7 made mistakes, lost levels, or lacked artistry, and were thus slightly behind. There's less than 4 points separating 4th and 7th... with the top 7 clearing 66 points...... it was a very strong SP (at Skate Canada, only 3 skaters cleared 66 points after the SP).

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm surprised at how many think this was such a wonderful competition. I regret losing sleep watching it. Poor Liza. It must really be difficult going through what she endures now. I felt like the swan had lost it's head and was spasmodically running all around the ice. Sorry. Gabby's 3/3 has an unreal quality about it. Quite exceptional.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I really like Alina, I think she has the talent and the ability to create memorable programs. If only Daniil would give her not so crowded choreo. I could see her personality out of the way she's skating and she should try something playful, maybe next season she could try a program on swing or even electro-swing. What I don't like when it comes to programs from Eteri's camp (and it's almost as a general rule) it the fact that everything seems overly studied, I would like more freedom.

Yeah, sometimes appereas to me how Eteri's school programmes are over-trained. But i could say the same for other skaters i like to watch, Ashley is noticable example this year. So i dont have big problem with that knowing its a sport competition after all, not the ice show. I dont have a problem with 'busy routines' also, i don't always enjoy in watching the same balletic and symetric long lines. Thats why I liked Alinas performance, cause it looked different...

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I'm surprised at how many think this was such a wonderful competition. I regret losing sleep watching it. Poor Liza. It must really be difficult going through what she endures now. I felt like the swan had lost it's head and was spasmodically running all around the ice. Sorry. Gabby's 3/3 has an unreal quality about it. Quite exceptional.

Well, it was the best figure skating competition so far with 7 very good perfomances out of 11. Maybe it werent any exceptional performance, but looking in general, I didnt watch better skating competition in any discipline this season yet.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I didn't put Gabby in my top 5 in the predictions thread, I'm realizing. :slink:
Thing is, she's only 4 points out of 7th. :tantrum:
This free program is going to have SO many grand prix implications for a lot of people.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thanks for taking the time CanadianSkaterGuy, as I think your post is important. There seems to be many newcombers on GS lately, which is exciting and welcomed, as it is great to have fresh ideas and perspectives. As well, I hope we can learn from each other, like what was posted by you, CSG.

The sport is no longer about simply landing 3 jumps to be successful, you have to land it with authority, including speed, power, grace, execution and delivery. We saw this at Skate Canada and at other events previously this past year. There are IMO, only 5 or 6 women in the world right now that are doing this and for that reason they are advancing in the sport, while others are being left behind.

As for the field currently, they need to adapt and make, as David Bowie would sing, "Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!" While their style may have been successful as a junior, it does not cut it at the senior level. Example, Kaetlyn finished in 10 place in World Juniors in 2012, and was bested by Julia, Gracie, Adelina, Satoko, Zijun, Polina S., Christina G., and Joshi H.

My oh my, how far she has come in her development since Minsk 2012, due in part to her superior jumping technique.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I didn't put Gabby in my top 5 in the predictions thread, I'm realizing. :slink:
Thing is, she's only 4 points out of 7th. :tantrum:
This free program is going to have SO many grand prix implications for a lot of people.

Really? You're on my naughty list Daniel - I had placed her first. :roll5:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Loved Wakaba. Am a bit surprised by Mai. I thought she was pulling slightly ahead in the Japanese ladies battlefield.

I liked Daleman a lot as well. Not just her power, but also that she was constantly dancing with the music.

Still think Alina's going to win this, since her tech content is through the roof. And will Liza land a triple axel? So excited for tomorrow!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just to give out my few little cents...

I have to say that I'm personally not surprised about this virtual tie between Gabrielle in 1st and Wakaba in 2nd - both skaters seem to be capitalizing on their powerful way of skating AND performing. For me, they are both synonims of 'pocket rocket': speed, quality translated into impactful performance as a whole. There may be more flow and detailing in Wakaba's SP, but Gabrielle made quite believable, sassy character out there, both performances very musical and polished I'd say. I like this 'Carmen' version for Gabrielle - it is more about being flirty than full-on drama, which suits her quite well; she may be not the most exuberant performer giving face every 3 seconds, but this vehicle is definitely a good fit for her to play a bit with expression, still maintaining her signature powerfulness. Wakaba's SP is my favourite SP along with Carolina's one, so I'm biased - this program makes a wonderful display for all qualities Wakaba has, being so vibrant and seductive by he sheer amount of sensibility put into expression, detail of movement. I hope all will go well for both Ladies, I'd love to see them in GPF:)

MedoLove

On the Ice
I just wanted to see Alina with the gold, a Radionova without falls, and Wakaba on the podium.

I really didn't expect Gaby to overtake Wakaba, I was very happy to see Wakaba in 1 place. Seeing the protocols, Waka didn't get to lv 4 in stsq, she has lv 3, and her flip is still a problem. I don't discuss the TES, but I really think she deserves some 9 or more in IN, CO, SS, even her TR are much more fluid than Daleman's, for example. I can only think that it is because she is "new", still very young, the same happens with Zagi and MArin. Marin this time beat Zagi on PC, by a minimum margin. Zagi is only 15, Waka and Marin only 16.

The older girls are getting more credit on PCs and I don't know if this is fair, but it's something that always happens ...

I'm grateful that Lena has not fallen. I did not expect the fall of Zagitova, maybe I was very nervous, she has so much pressure. I'm glad that Liza was smiling at the K & C, she seemed satisfied.

Waiting for the FS, everything can change, Zagitova and Mihara can kill the others with their TES.
This competition is very exciting

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I finally managed to watch this! I rushed home after my exams, haha. Not sure if the running was worth it but watching it from beginning to end without any pesky livestream drops or interruptions was very nice, a big thank you to skylark for starting the no spoilers thread!

It's interesting to see Mai in 7th but her FS base value is amazing, with only a 3Lz+3T and 2A in the first half. From what we saw at Japan Open she could realistically achieve 74+ TES if she goes clean and shakes off the nerves. Her PCS will probably be capped around 62 because of the first group issue, but a 136 would be great nonetheless and put her into contention since the 1st and 7th are so close.

Wakaba needs to do a 3Lo. We know she can do it because her FS 3Lo is gorgeous and has turns going into it. Her PCS better not be held down. I worry because she skates before Gabby, so the judges will likely "save room" in her scores for Gabby's PCS. Same thing in gymnastics, earlier subdivisions basically always get super harsh scoring and by the last group, barely any deductions are marked.

Alina will probably win by virtue of her base value, she's so technically solid. For me, her program really doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Mai and Wakaba's FS but oh well.

The margins are so close!!! Personally I'm rooting for Mai to surprise everyone with a gorgeous FS and win the whole thing lol. Hopefully this doesn't jinx her :pray:

I may try to stay up for the FS since tomorrow is finally Saturday but chances are I'll fall asleep by 9:30 PM, oof. :bed: