2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens FS | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens FS

dailytg20

On the Ice
Honestly, it's actually really distressing to see so much mockery over her crying. Whether this is something you would do, or have done when young, it doesn't really matter. These are still her genuine feelings and it's really not something to shame her for. We shouldn't shame people for being ... well, human, especially when they are causing literally no harm to anyone else. That's all.
I will admit my first reaction was "WHAT THE--?" followed by a showering of all of the Poohs at my laptop when I noticed her outfit. As an empty husk of a human, I love a super invested fan who has all of the feels.

Producers always pick specific individuals to focus on for crowd shots during broadcasts, so I guess they chose to cut to her at that moment to amp the drama. "Camera Two! Quick! Quick, we have a crying fan! This is not a drill!"

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
About the fan who cried - she posted on Weibo about it and I'll just copy the translation quickly here: "She's been thinking of SEIMEI for A year and she just saw it, dazzling, right in front of her. Then she burst into tears. Seeing Yuzu managed to complete the 4Ltz, she cried again. Thinking of how many hard work he's done and she just WITNESS how those efforts paid off. She couldn't help herself. She didn't cry for yuzu's lost but for being worried about that he would push himself too much. If so, that would break her heart. That's it. Thanks for all of your concern and tolerating my crying face." It's not really word for word but the gist of it.

Honestly, it's actually really distressing to see so much mockery over her crying. Whether this is something you would do, or have done when young, it doesn't really matter. These are still her genuine feelings and it's really not something to shame her for. We shouldn't shame people for being ... well, human, especially when they are causing literally no harm to anyone else. That's all.

Spot on X a zillion zillion zillion

whatif

Medalist
This sport needs as many crazy fans as it can get. So leave the crying girl alone, pls. But I hope Yuzuru hugs her or take a selfie with her or something. She deserves it.

rosy14

Final Flight
Absolutely, and Japan as well: last season they did helped both Yuzuru and Miyahara quite a bit at the NHK.

I'm expecting new big PBs on the components for Chan this season.

Last year Yuzuru was NOT at NHK. And they “killled” Mao.

rosy14

Final Flight
He has always been at NHK since he became Olympic champion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4J53vi1GyA
Mao on the other hand was assigned to SA and TEB last year. Maybe you are thinking about Japanese nationals?

Yeah, I was mistaken, beg your pardon.
But at Nationals- all judges being Japanese- score are much less inflated. So perhaps are the foreign judges at NHK who love to reward the “home boys and girls.
Anyway neither Hanyu nor Miyhara fell thrice then.

lappo

Final Flight
Yeah, I was mistaken, beg your pardon.
But at Nationals- all judges being Japanese- score are much less inflated. So perhaps are the foreign judges at NHK who love to reward the “home boys and girls.
Anyway neither Hanyu nor Miyhara fell thrice then.

I think this is a clear pattern in ALL the six events leading to the GP for the home skaters, even though it is incorrect: federations know that their skaters will be lowballed in other GP competitions so they keep the PCS score high in their own, to give them better prospects for the GP final. And, unless a miracle happens, it won't change, no matter how much we complain. It makes me sad however for skater like Misha, who deserved a bronze here.

andromache

Record Breaker
Crying because your favorite athlete/sports team lost is dumb. My fiance cried after the Cleveland Indians lost the World Series last year and I told him the same thing. It's dumb and that's why it's funny.

As for "figure skating needs more fans like her," no thanks. If you're going to cry over your favorite losing after watching a great performance from his rival, it kind of shows you don't appreciate the sport or the other athletes. You only care about your favorite. I have favorites, but I enjoy good performances even when they come from skaters I don't like as much. Because I love good skating. Skating needs fans who love good skating no matter who it comes from or what country they come from, IMO. When people cry over skating, it should be over how darn beautiful a performance is.

The girl certainly doesn't deserve to be mocked or bullied though. I do dumb stuff all the time, we all do dumb stuff all the time - luckily no cameras catch me and put me on the internet.

Semi-related - so wearing jerseys of your favorite athletes is very common for audience members of team sports, right? We should make this trend happen in figure skating - let's all dress up as our favorite skaters whenever we go see live skating. Nathan fans have it easy ;) (though I have no doubt he will have real costumes by Nationals).

Nathan's SP and LP are both masterpieces. The LP creates a moment at the end - very good that he has worked on his spins!!!

sydney

On the Ice
Crying because your favorite athlete/sports team lost is dumb. My fiance cried after the Cleveland Indians lost the World Series last year and I told him the same thing. It's dumb and that's why it's funny.

As for "figure skating needs more fans like her," no thanks. If you're going to cry over your favorite losing after watching a great performance from his rival, it kind of shows you don't appreciate the sport or the other athletes. You only care about your favorite. I have favorites, but I enjoy good performances even when they come from skaters I don't like as much. Because I love good skating. Skating needs fans who love good skating no matter who it comes from or what country they come from, IMO. When people cry over skating, it should be over how darn beautiful a performance is.

I think you didn't see the post made by Yatagarasu before so I'm quoting it :
this is a translation of the crying girl on her weibo account -> "She's been thinking of SEIMEI for A year and she just saw it, dazzling, right in front of her. Then she burst into tears. Seeing Yuzu managed to complete the 4Ltz, she cried again. Thinking of how many hard work he's done and she just WITNESS how those efforts paid off. She couldn't help herself. She didn't cry for yuzu's lost but for being worried about that he would push himself too much. If so, that would break her heart. That's it. Thanks for all of your concern and tolerating my crying face."

andromache

Record Breaker
I think you didn't see the post made by Yatagarasu before so I'm quoting it :
this is a translation of the crying girl on her weibo account -> "She's been thinking of SEIMEI for A year and she just saw it, dazzling, right in front of her. Then she burst into tears. Seeing Yuzu managed to complete the 4Ltz, she cried again. Thinking of how many hard work he's done and she just WITNESS how those efforts paid off. She couldn't help herself. She didn't cry for yuzu's lost but for being worried about that he would push himself too much. If so, that would break her heart. That's it. Thanks for all of your concern and tolerating my crying face."

I did see it, but I'm not taking it too seriously. She was shown crying after Nathan's skate, not Yuzuru's. We all do dumb stuff and make excuses. It's not a big deal either way. Other audience members were also shown looking very unhappy after Nathan's skate.

sydney

On the Ice
I did see it, but I'm not taking it too seriously. She was shown crying after Nathan's skate, not Yuzuru's. We all do dumb stuff and make excuses. It's not a big deal either way. Other audience members were also shown looking very unhappy after Nathan's skate.

I love this kind of situation : the girl is saying something , but you think that she's "lying", so you take your own interpretation of the situation as the truth and that it . Well if this is what you think I will not fight for it this is quite useless , I'm just sincerely sorry for the girl and mostly mad at the cameraman ( even if they were doing their jobs I know ) . ^_^

andromache

Record Breaker
I love this kind of situation : the girl is saying something , but you think that she's "lying", so you take your own interpretation of the situation as the truth and that it . Well if this is what you think I will not fight for it this is quite useless , I'm just sincerely sorry for the girl and mostly mad at the cameraman ( even if they were doing their jobs I know ) . ^_^

I think there were a lot of obviously unhappy audience members after Nathan skated. Weird, since he skated so well - why would anyone be unhappy? She also looked unhappy - I'm assuming it's for the obvious reason.

Even if she's being 100% honest about why she was crying after Nathan's skate - being so overwhelmed by your favorite skater that you continue crying though another skater's performance and even after the other skater has finished is just as dumb and ridiculous as crying because your favorite lost. I could understand THAT level of emotion if Yuzuru had been in a Cup of China situation and his health/safety was seriously at risk, but that's it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Trying to rationalize the reactions of fans as 'reasonable' or 'dumb' is throwing stones in a glass house IMO, if one is a fan of ANY sport. -Sports itself is a pretty irrational thing, if you get down to the reality of it. People fly from all over the world, pay a high ticket price, to see dazzlingly dressed athletes skating around on ice and twirling and jumping like maniacs to music. One doesn't do it if one is logical, measured or thrifty....or you do, and just accept that you like this thing very much, despite all the inconvenience, judges you don't agree with and fans that you may not agree with.
How can one say that this girl was wrong to cry for 20 minutes or an hour over a performance that moved her deeply? Or that fans should pretend to be happy that a skater they wanted very much to win, didn't? Not that there aren't measured and very impartial fans who will just be happy for whoever wins, that's a valid form of fandom too, and admirable...but it can't be the only kind, or the only right kind. How many of those kinds of fans would fill an arena to capacity?

I come from a view point that ALL sports can be viewed as illogical or stupid if you want to be cynical, or magical, engaging and beautiful if you want to embrace the wonderful vagaries of the human condition and it's striving for intangible betterment.

nekun

On the Ice
Woww this is the 'Olympic Season' I guess, suddenly a fan crying over his fav is a big deal;)

Some Yuzuru fans only care about Yuzuru, woww so shocking;) never heard before from another skater fans ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Trying to rationalize the reactions of fans as 'reasonable' or 'dumb' is throwing stones in a glass house IMO, if one is a fan of ANY sport. -Sports itself is a pretty irrational thing, if you get down to the reality of it. People fly from all over the world, pay a high ticket price, to see dazzlingly dressed athletes skating around on ice and twirling and jumping like maniacs to music. One doesn't do it if one is logical, measured or thrifty....or you do, and just accept that you like this thing very much, despite all the inconvenience, judges you don't agree with and fans that you may not agree with.
How can one say that this girl was wrong to cry for 20 minutes or an hour over a performance that moved her deeply? Or that fans should pretend to be happy that a skater they wanted very much to win, didn't? Not that there aren't measured and very impartial fans who will just be happy for whoever wins, that's a valid form of fandom too, and admirable...but it can't be the only kind, or the only right kind. How many of those kinds of fans would fill an arena to capacity?

I come from a view point that ALL sports can be viewed as illogical or stupid if you want to be cynical, or magical, engaging and beautiful if you want to embrace the wonderful vagaries of the human condition and it's striving for intangible betterment.

That's a completely fair perspective. I just think fandom is less divisive and more engaging when great skating is appreciated no matter who it comes from, as well as genuinely not understanding how someone can appreciate the great skating of one or two skaters and be completely uninterested in the skating of anyone else, or anyone else not from their country. You're missing out on so much good stuff!!!

I think it's a little different in sports where one athlete or team is DIRECTLY against another, in that one athlete/team has direct impact on the performance of another - like in most team sports, or tennis, for example. It's deliberate conflict meant to excite or enrage or upset fans. Skating and gymnastics and track/field sports are different - excellence or failure stand on their own.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
That is also a cameraman's dream... showing dramatic crowd reactions. And if you're in the crowd, you can expect the possibility of being taped and onscreen.

Yup. One of my favorite moments watching also happened at Rostelecom 2 years ago when Chartrand had a rough skate and the audience reactions that the cameraman caught were seriously the best things that happened in the history of the sport since its inception. :laugh:

Yesterday:

I think it's massively funny how fully grown adults cannot contain their own bu--hurt in public!

:laugh2:

chillgil

Match Penalty
not to sound pretentious but i just wanted to say that i feel disgusted with how this thread is turning out - i wanted to read everyone's reactions on yuzu's newly minted 4lz, nathan's herculean skate, misha's passionate performance, etc etc and instead it's turned into a place where people are defending the right to mock a fan of a skater like ***? how bout this-it's not okay to assume anything of anyone based off of 2-3 seconds that was shown on television. how about this-it's not important about how one fan feels about one other skater

and why is there such a burning need by some people to over generalize a group of people based off of one or two people's reactions? ??

honestly if this is how it's going to be for this season i might as well kiss GS goodbye because this is frankly toxic, IMO i dont like feeling bad for liking yuzuru, i dont like seeing mockery of fans who have paid money and taken time out of their days to support this amazing sport and amazing athletes

rant over lmao

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

The girl certainly doesn't deserve to be mocked or bullied though. I do dumb stuff all the time, we all do dumb stuff all the time - luckily no cameras catch me and put me on the internet.

Semi-related - so wearing jerseys of your favorite athletes is very common for audience members of team sports, right? We should make this trend happen in figure skating - let's all dress up as our favorite skaters whenever we go see live skating. Nathan fans have it easy ;) (though I have no doubt he will have real costumes by Nationals).

Nathan's SP and LP are both masterpieces. The LP creates a moment at the end - very good that he has worked on his spins!!!

Agreed with all the above. I like your last idea too! I shall dress up as a half-naked faun in honor of Carolina's free skate.

Also, congrats! :agree:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This. Men's figure skating used to be my favorite discipline and I sadly don't enjoy it anymore. Every now and then, someone will have an outstanding performance, but this is not enough to keep me watching all the programs with countless falls, pops, step-outs and reduced choreography. First goal should always be a clean performance and not rotate as many jumps as possible. I'm tired of skaters attempting programs they can never skate clean or just once a year. I think there must be a huge deduction on PCS for messy programs. Maybe have a purely technical program, so they can try all the quads they want, but keep the free program reasonable with an emphasize on skating clean.

I accept falls and pops are part of the sport, but it leaves a terrible taste in the mouth to see someone getting showered with points when they have multiple falls in a program. I think of poor Misha Ge who nearly always skates clean, with two beautiful and mesmerizing performances...and how he couldn't even get close to the podium. Meanwhile Carolina somehow gets a silver in ladies with lower tech content. I don't like that much either but I'm not sure what the answer is. Something has to change, the system is just so grossly unfair that it really sucks all the fun out of watching. I like seeing quads, but I definitely think falls should be punished much more severely. In the presser, Mikhail apparently said he was satisfied with his skating in the FS. Seriously??? Well, why not, when he can screw up multiple times and still get a PB score! :rolleye:

This is why I like watching juniors more these days.