2017 GP Skate America Mens FS | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Mens FS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people are offended when nathan's balletic qualities are mentioned? He DOES have balletic qualities in spades from his posture, lines (better than most skaters IMO), and the use of his arms and hands, and just general danceability. Just because the media brings it up doesn't make it untrue. :confused:

Watch a video of him back to back with Andrei Lazukin, Emanuel Sandhu, or Viktor Petrenko. These are skaters who truly deserve to be called balletic - yes, they are few and far between. Nathan is hunched forward most of the time. You call that good posture?

shine

Record Breaker
Watch a video of him back to back with Andrei Lazukin, Emanuel Sandhu, or Viktor Petrenko. These are skaters who truly deserve to be called balletic - yes, they are few and far between. Nathan is hunched forward most of the time. You call that good posture?
He used to be slightly hunched forward but it’s no longer the case, not since last season. So I disagree with you. And sorry, Emmanuel had great body lines, but he was sooo stiff —there were no curves or suppleness to his movement— and often came across awkward perhaps partly because his limbs were too long. I found him interesting, but no good ballet dancer moves like that. And I also want to point out good posture is by far not the only critierum which makes a skater balletic; it’s also how the skater moves and responds to music. Of the skaters you mentioned I only agree Petrenko is balletic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He used to be slightly hunched forward but it’s no longer the case, not since last season. So I disagree with you. And sorry, Emmanuel had great body lines, but he was sooo stiff —there were no curves or suppleness to his movement— and often came across awkward perhaps partly because his limbs were too long. I found him interesting, but no good ballet dancer moves like that. And I also want to point out good posture is by far not the only critierum which makes a skater balletic; it’s also how the skater moves and responds to music. Of the skaters you mentioned I only agree Petrenko is balletic.

well just so you know... Emanuel has perhaps the most competent and exhaustive training in ballet among figure skaters mentioned as balletic.

Sandhu began studying ballet at the age of three and continued to dance until the end of high school. He graduated from The National Ballet School of Canada.

I actually love Nathan's posture and carriage and especially his extension. Just thought it was worth mentioning that if anyone, Sandhu, for a long time, was a dancer first, and a skater second... he only started skating at 8... he was older than Nathan is currently, when he placed at Canadian nationals... so it's a very different path.
I don't personally find him stiff (aside from when he was nervous) but I'd call him "direct" his movements are very sharp and precise.

shine

Record Breaker
well just so you know... Emanuel has perhaps the most competent and exhaustive training in ballet among figure skaters mentioned as anyone, Sandhu, for a long time, was a dancer first, and a skater second... he only started skating at 8... he was older than Nathan is currently, when he placed at Canadian nationals... so it's a very different path.
I’m well aware of his ballet background - I used to follow his skating quite closely and was overjoyed when he beat Pluahenko at the 2004 GPF. I do agree he has taken elements of ballet and translated them into his on ice presentation, namely his beautiful classical lines. But I always found it weird that while he had great body lines the way he moved actually didn’t embody how a ballet dancer would move on stage, for reasons I already stated. He is a great dancer though (loved his tango sp and that hip hop exhibition he did), I was just never convinced he was a great ballet dancer.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m well aware of his ballet background - I used to follow his skating quite closely and was overjoyed when he beat Pluahenko at the 2004 GPF. I do agree he has taken elements of ballet and translated them into his on ice presentation, namely his beautiful classical lines. But I always found it weird that while he had great body lines the way he moved actually didn’t embody how a ballet dancer would move on stage, for reasons I already stated. He is a great dancer though (loved his tango sp and that hip hop exhibition he did), I was just never convinced he was a great ballet dancer.

have you seen him dance ? he did SYYCD and finished in top 6... he was quite good. As you know, I love Nathan but they say he spent 6 years in ballet academy... that's good but it's not much compared to graduating from National Ballet School of Canada and doing it from 3 years old to high school... which means about 14-15 years...

I think it's silly to accuse the media of overplaying that card when it comes to Nathan... i mean... they say that so and so played violin or piano, and that's why they are so musical and then, you watch them skate and either they are not musical or either you watch them at the instrument and they can barely play lol... media will always try to find interesting angles to promote a skater.

In the end, can one see ballet training in Nathan's skating : I can. Same with Emanuel

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't you be flirting with El. She's MY friend.

I actually started watching some of the junior men on her recommendation. I don't watch junior women, because I see enough juniorish skating from women on the senior circuit.

Don't watch junior pairs much, but then again, I don't even watch senior pairs much. I root for the Aussie's, though, because I'm so proud a non-traditional power broke through.

If you're interested, catch Anthony Ponomarenko in ice dance He is a stunning skater with great promise. He has a partner, but I view her as the junior version of Jean-Luc Baker's partner. She doesn't stand up to his skills.

Edit to add: I second her recommendation on Alexei, but neither El nor I would want you to miss Andrew Torgeshev, who is my personal favorite junior. He debuted at US Senior Nats last year, and made the final group, if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh Tonto, no one can ever break the chain of "Andrew T." friendship;) And although we are somewhat far removed from the Skate America men, you are of course right that Andrew T. *and* Alexei K. are deserving of every fan's attention. And Camden, our third lad in the JGPF, is growing on me. Perhaps one of them will get assigned to SA next year?:clap:

And related to SA, but not its men, I agree with about Jean-Luc and Anthony. Both are rock stars in Ice Dance:hap10: and although their partners seem like perfectly fine skaters, they don't hold your attention like Jean-Luc and Anthony do.

:eek:topic: But what else is new:laugh:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Um what exactly is so bad about Kaitlin Hawayek? I know Jean-Luc is fantastic, but... I just don't get it...

I don't think there is anything bad about Kaitlin Hawayek. It is just that Jean-Luc is a super-talent and total natural. Kaitlyn has worked very hard to match him as much as possible. She is less of a natural talent. At times they've both made errors since as Ben Agosto said they take big risks, her mistakes have been more visible resulting in her getting blamed more by some viewers. Meryl Davis also used to be more reserved and then she surrendered to the music and became a stunner, perhaps Kaitlin is on the same path. I see a steady progression in her expression this year especially in the Latin SD.