2017 GP Skate America Mens SP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Mens SP

Eislauf

On the Ice
Just a quick shout out to Michael Weiss for his excellent commentary on ice network!

I think he's articulate, doesn't talk too much over the programs, seems to genuinely care about the skaters, and in general comes across as pleasant and good-natured with a mature, non attention-seeking attitude.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It would not surprise me if Jin will succeed a lot better in the freeskate and would rise at least on to the 3rd place. If he gets the 4th place, he only needs to score here as low as the total of 242,62 (hopefully I got it right...). If Voronov will be 4th, he will go to GPF with 24 points. Hopefully Rippon will hold on to his second place and it would be a big surprise if Chen does not win this event.

I do not much like Rippon´s sp program, it is too obvious how hard he tries to sell it, the music does not hurt my ears though. That costume is really awful!!! Chen has a wonderful program and I really love how he performs and interprets the music! Voronov was not quite as good here as in his first event. Yan and Samohin both are rather inconsistent skater, it will be interesting to see how they deliver in the freeskate. Anyway, I like them both!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Yes, Nathan Chen should be leading but his PCs to me are a bit inflated, his skating skills are not in the league of Patrick, Yuzuru , Han Yan and Shorma. It is a cleverly choreographed program, there is also a lot of two footed skating going on, just watch his feet. Comparing him with the other American men, Nathan's presentation is no where near that of Jason and Adam's.

icybear

Medalist
Hope Boyang recovers for fs. But even if he does I bet the usfed will ensure he is underscored to keep him away from the top 4 so that they can get Brown into the gpf.

Crystal7

Final Flight
Hi there! :) I was waiting for Skate America for the whole week, but it was too late is this time zone, that I fell asleep... I woke up to see two pairs and then once again for the men, but I fell asleep again. Great! But I watched it this morning and... what can I say? Nathan! So happy for him! I am a fan of Nathan, so really great, that he did so well :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congratulations Nathan! 104 with that triple Axel - a clean program and this score is exploding! :( for Boyang though. And Adam Rippon who would've thought. He'll probably make the GPF for the second year in a row. Looks as his ticket to the Olympics is pretty much sure.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sandovsky (sp?) was fun to watch! I really enjoyed that vampire masquerade. I think Stolbova would have liked it too. He has a lot of potential!

I am a bit slow sometimes, but I was surprised about Sadowsky's URs. They looked pretty good to me in the replay. :confused: He had some nice choreo moments. I think he might mature into a really good performer!

His surname is spelled Sadovsky. SA-DOV-SKY. It's not that difficult. ;)

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Ok I can relax a little. I actually put Boyang as number 3. And Rippon as number 4 in my predictions. I would not be upset if Rippon placed higher and messed up my predictions. I am so proud that he is representing my country!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, after Kevin skated, my mom said he looks like a twig cause he's so tiny. I was like, "I know. I know."

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Will judge n.2 be at the Olympics? because his scores are concerning.

Did anyone have Patrick Chan bomb, seven trillion injuries and the Russian men suddenly deciding to show up at competitions in their calculations? ;)

I admit i was very against RusFed's decision to reward more the quads, but looking at the results it is paying off.

Kolyada not surprising to me, he's practicing the 4ltz enough to expect it landed once in a while, and judges had to reward his qualities because he's a great skater. A little more consistency wouldn't be bad though.

But i was not expecting to see Voronov and Samarin doing this well.

fireovertheice

On the Ice
Will judge n.2 be at the Olympics? because his scores are concerning.

Well, this is not the only judge here whose scores are concerning. What we can say about J6?
Come on: this is a brilliant program coreographed by Shae Lynn (best coreographer of the last couple of season to me) and performed well by Nathan, but this performance is nowhere near those 10s! Not to mention 9.75 in SS and TR...

There is no surprise that Ms. Sasha Martinez Mendoza was invited at this comp, and not only for her scores at 4CC last year. She seems to be a regular at U.S. International Figure Skating Classics from 2013 and in some of the U.S. Challenge skates for junior and novice level (all comps held at Salt Lake City, the hometown of Nathan: http://www.rinkresults.com/judge?judge_id=247) ).

And also this play of underscores / overscores in a so blatant and excessive way: really this makes no good to the sport and to the athletes.
I hope that the panel will have an honest discussion/review after this segment of competition and that we will see more balanced scores in FS also for single judging. Luckly the highest and lowest scores are not to be taken in consideration, but yet is frustrating to read protocols like that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
About Russian men :

GP is so not the Olympics/WORLDS. Yes Voronov is doing relatively well here... but people are so harsh on Patrick and his low base value.... and then, a guy who has less content and definitely less style (i e skating skills) than Patrick at Sochi, 4 years ago, is making the conversation?

Don't be upset with me : I have loved every minute Voronov has given us and I hope he will be at the games!

Samarin has a lot to do to get to the top. Judges reward his jumps but they are not as good as Boyang's when he first got his bronze and Boyang skates better. (MY opinion)

Kovtun managed to finished last out of all the men at Skate America in the SP, despite very poor outings from all 3 second-tier Canadians.

Do I need to continue? Aliev, Petrov... etc?

Yes : we are not used to have such an influx of Russian men doing relatively well on the circuit but this year, nobody but Shoma and Nathan have risen to the occasion. Javi had a great SP.

At the olympics all these 270 scores (and lower) we have seen on the podium shouldn't mean much when we are expecting close to 100 in the SP to be in the final flight and 300 total for a medal.

YMMV

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Who is the guy beside Patrick in the avatar? Is that Han Yan?

it is indeed ;) it's when Han Yan met Patrick at 4CC (2016) and had Patrick sign his calendar or something... it was written I love you on the calendar. Han Yan is very 'loud" about his love and admiration for Patrick. Since they are my two favourite skaters, I just thought it would be nice to have them on my avatar...

Next, I'd like to have Chan, Yan, Chen and Uno ;) then life would be complete ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
But i was not expecting to see Voronov and Samarin doing this well.

Sergei was consistent last season & had a case for 3rd at SA there, imo, if not for the fact that it was SA. (By the way, it's funny to compare the PCS scores given to the men there...not even Shoma or Jason got 44+ in the SP, but apparently nobody has an issue with Adam getting that kind of PCS now?) He had only one really bad skate last season, his LP at Nationals, unfortunately.

da96103

Record Breaker
i think he would have WD already... he is in the hunt. It would just be sad if he couldn't make GPF.... already the 3 usual culprits won't be there... of course Shoma and Nathan will keep me interested enough :) but Boyang is always fun to watch. But yeah... he looked really not the same today... the quad toe was still nice but yeah... that pop... that's not a boyang thing to do.

Boyang Jin turned into Boyang B.

B version needs to turn back to Jin version quick asap.