2017 GP Skate America Mens SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Mens SP

da96103

Record Breaker
I'm used to seeing Raf being super serious all the time, but with Nathan he's just a big bowl of sunshine and fun. :laugh:

He found the spark that makes his life meaningful again. Though I think he is warming up to Adam as well.

for me all did well, surprised by a few scores.

Boyang heals fine. and is ready.

this has been an interest gp for the men.

i like sergei, adams, han, boyang, denis, and Nathan program-thought his would score about 1.5 higher

da96103

Record Breaker
He's injured. Cut him some slack

Sure. But Boyang with no light-bulb changing 4Lz is simply not the Boyang we know. He had attempted (and mostly landed) 4Lz in every SP and LP in seniors for this and last 2 seasons until now.

Well, anyway, it doesn't matter here. The Olympics is the big one.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Brilliant SP by Chen so much better than last year. I absolutely love the step sequence. Hopefully Rippon has a bad outing so I won't have to put up with his horrible programs at the GPF. I'm not holding my breath the Americans have already penciled his spot. Either him or Voronov crashing could at least open a spot for Javi. So weird not seeing him and Hanyu there.

da96103

Record Breaker
Brilliant SP by Chen so much better than last year. I absolutely love the step sequence. Hopefully Rippon has a bad outing so I won't have to put up with his horrible programs at the GPF. I'm not holding my breath the Americans have already penciled his spot. Either him or Voronov crashing could at least open a spot for Javi. So weird not seeing him and Hanyu there.

In order for Javi to qualify, two out of Adam, Voronov and Boyang will need to bomb. Because Jason Brown has to be allowed to qualify before Javi can get in.

So two out of these three things need to happen:
1. Voronov places 6th or worse.
2. Adam places 5th or worse.
3. Boyang places 5th or worse.

This means Han Yan and Samohin both have to be better than two out of the three men mentioned above.

Improbable but not impossible.

MIM

Medalist
I watched men’s competition on Olympic channel. Rafael was constantly sharpening nathan’s Blades... lol!!
Loved Rafael’s enthusiasm and Nathan’s cool ( reminded me a little bit of Tursynbayeva And her happy mom by her side)

Han Yan is my favorite... I am glad coach Hongbo has him under his wing. I see the difference in Han. Thank you:bow:

Adam has better crossover/stroking and fineness in the stsq. But I wish he did a rippon lutz, as he is not attempting a quad in the sp.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
In order for Javi to qualify, two out of Adam, Voronov and Boyang will need to bomb. Because Jason Brown has to be allowed to qualify before Javi can get in.

So two out of these three things need to happen:
1. Voronov places 6th or worse.
2. Adam places 5th or worse.
3. Boyang places 5th or worse.

This means Han Yan and Samohin both have to be better than two out of the three men mentioned above.

Improbable but not impossible.

You are all over the math there! :thumbsup:

To the person you answered: Rooting against a skater is bad karma and kind of bratty.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hope Boyang recovers for fs. But even if he does I bet the usfed will ensure he is underscored to keep him away from the top 4 so that they can get Brown into the gpf.

And how will "the usfed" do that when the tech team is Australian, Korean and Russian, and there are judges from ISR KOR CHN GER JPN MEX RUS and CAN, not just USA? The audience is not overwhelmingly pro-US: there is a good proportion of Canadians, as the border is a relatively short drive from Lake Placid.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are all over the math there! :thumbsup:

To the person you answered: Rooting against a skater is bad karma and kind of bratty.

I agree. Rooting against a skater is just bad form, unless that skater is Urmanov, and he's been off the ice for a long time.

Just let 'em skate, sit back and enjoy the show, and let the chips fall where they may in terms of the GPF.

Of course, that's easy for me to say - I have no particular rooting interest in any of the skaters on the bubble.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just catching up men's SP, what on earth is Sergei wearing? It looks like Deadpool undercover as Carmen, it just needs bosom. Weird as hell.

Adam had one of those skates, I feel like bringing out the clubbing disco lights and a massive glam mirror ball.

Come on NBC, have better camera angles, you are making epic skates look small.

Han Yan gorgeous gorgeous... hope you have a great FS and podium. Miracle can happen, if it only takes a thousand years.

Samohin is looks so promising! He has the charisma and flair (and looks) that can carry him far, just need to land those quads. 2 Isareli skater doing good. Who'd have thought. It's great!! LOL at all those Raf sharpening blade thing...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
LOL This is STILL the comment of the competition so far.

:luv17:

It’s the running gag that will never die, because it’s legitimately occurring in my life. :rofl: I feel like I should set up a camera and record these conversations as they happen, just to add more hilarity to the forums. :laugh2:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It’s the running gag that will never die, because it’s legitimately occurring in my life. :rofl: I feel like I should set up a camera and record these conversations as they happen, just to add more hilarity to the forums. :laugh2:

BTW.. if Hanyu skates on you should try to get tickets to the GPF in Vancouver and take her. She could through pooh at him too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
for me all did well, surprised by a few scores.

Boyang heals fine. and is ready.

this has been an interest gp for the men.

i like sergei, adams, han, boyang, denis, and Nathan program-thought his would score about 1.5 higher

Look at those amazingly generous pcs. You don't have Hanyu, Chan, Brown here - these are very generous. The only skater who I thought might be higher is Voronov

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I agree. Rooting against a skater is just bad form, unless that skater is Urmanov, and he's been off the ice for a long time.

Just let 'em skate, sit back and enjoy the show, and let the chips fall where they may in terms of the GPF.

Of course, that's easy for me to say - I have no particular rooting interest in any of the skaters on the bubble.

I'm hoping Jin gets in actually. I like to see a good mixture of nationalities at the GPF and there will probably be 3 American dance teams so 3 American men is a lot. But if they deserve it they should go. (and yes I'd say the same thing if it was Canadians)

Jin has 2 sprained ankles. Maybe we should be rooting for him not to make it so he can go home and concentrate on the getting healthy for the OG.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this is not the only judge here whose scores are concerning. What we can say about J6?
Come on: this is a brilliant program coreographed by Shae Lynn (best coreographer of the last couple of season to me) and performed well by Nathan, but this performance is nowhere near those 10s! Not to mention 9.75 in SS and TR...

There is no surprise that Ms. Sasha Martinez Mendoza was invited at this comp, and not only for her scores at 4CC last year. She seems to be a regular at U.S. International Figure Skating Classics from 2013 and in some of the U.S. Challenge skates for junior and novice level (all comps held at Salt Lake City, the hometown of Nathan: http://www.rinkresults.com/judge?judge_id=247) ).

And also this play of underscores / overscores in a so blatant and excessive way: really this makes no good to the sport and to the athletes.
I hope that the panel will have an honest discussion/review after this segment of competition and that we will see more balanced scores in FS also for single judging. Luckly the highest and lowest scores are not to be taken in consideration, but yet is frustrating to read protocols like that.

You have to look at ALL the scores from both judges before getting all upset. Judge #6 also gave very high scores to Han Yan. And Judge #2 just happened to prefer Rippon to Chen, and liked Boyang better than Samohin.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
1. Nathan is doing the HARDEST short in the world, tech-wise.

2. He is still 3 points off from Javi's short (107), and 8 points from what Hanyu scored at the Autumn Classic (112).

3. Javi has one or two 3-turns before his solo quad (salchow), which is got +2.29 GoE. Boyang has barely any steps before his solo jump, which he got +GoE. Shoma has one proceeding step. If we're gonna deduct for no or lackluster proceeding steps, we'd better do it for ALL of the offenders, or we all need to shut up about this. (For comparison: Hanyu has a three-turn, a bracket (or a choctaw?), and a spread eagle before his solo quad)

So, no, Nathan's short is NOWHERE near overscored. It's probably right on target.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just went to prepare my reminder for the Pairs FS, and discovered that I forgot to do the reminders for last night's competitions before I went to bed. :bang:

So, I'll do them now, so that the links are together in the thread when I come back to watch it later in the week.

Here is the link for the archived World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...-america/627fd9b8-2706-4a67-adfd-205357b82083

Unfortunately, the only competition being shown on Eurosport’s linear TV channels is the Ladies Free. :disapp:

Here is the Time Schedule:
www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpusa2017/gpusa2017_Men_SP_TimeSchedule.pdf

And here is the Live Scoring:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpusa2017/SEG001.HTM

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan