2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bravo for all the ladies trying so hard. Sad about Pogo; I hope she can go home get healed and find herself. Maria S is certainly showing she is a fighter. And Ashley must be relieved to medal. Osmond has some work with this program but it isn't looking too bad at all.

pearly

Record Breaker
That is extremely harsh and honestly makes me quite angry. Some people prefer to keep the state of any illnesses they have private, especially mental illness since there is still stigma around that in many cultures, and imo they should be allowed to without being accused of being a brat. Opinions like yours make it all the more difficult to deal with or admit to an illness.

You're right, which is why I wrote "personal things" and not "mental illness". At this point all we know is that she is having back issues this year. She's pretty much had a meltdown per season when there were no known back or any other issues and it's disturbing to watch. I really can't grasp how the same skater can win World and GPF medals and not be able to handle a bad skate. Show me another world class skater in an international event this season who behaves in the same manner as Anna when a skate doesn't go the way they wanted it to.

geige

On the Ice
Overall from the event, the one thing I am the most angry about has to be Rika. I can understand a few of the calls, such as the 2A3T and 3F (even then, to my eye they were 1/4 so where is the benefit of the doubt) but 6 URs??????? Really????? This scoring is borderline criminal and I just don't understand WHY Rika ALWAYS seems to be the carrot scapegoat of the whole event. ESPECIALLY at Skate Canada. I am so tired and outraged of seeing Rika pull out a solid performance and go from smiles to gloom in the Kiss and Cry. It's just so wrong.

randomfan

Record Breaker
A rather disastrous event here...

1. Kaetlyn Osmond: I think she’s in Medvedeva levels of inflation now. I really like Kaetlyn but she did not deserve anywhere near 136 for that skate. I think Maria and maybe even Marin should’ve beaten her by a little in the FS. Anyways, congrats for the win, and now she’s pretty much guaranteed a GPF spot (can’t imagine her finishing any lower than 4th at IDF).
2. Maria Sotskova: Great performance and should’ve won the FS in my opinion. To address all the people who say she’s boring - yes she is boring, but if you actually pay attention to her choreo and what she’s doing on the ice (AKA manage to stay awake for some), it’s pretty nice to watch. She has beautiful arms and a light presence. That being said, having a more dynamic program would still be helpful.
3. Ashley Wagner: She definitely was kinda lucky to be on the podium, but only because her skate was one of the better ones in this disappointing competition. I no longer feel excited by this program though. This and her SP have had their days of glory already, and it’s time to move on. As for how she skated today, kudos for standing up on everything, and I hope she can put together solid performances in both programs next time.
4. Courtney Hicks: I think Courtney had a case for the bronze. Her presentation has improved, and the jumps were wild but still landed. We’ve seen her do well on the GP series, but her usual disappointments at Nationals are what prevented her from ever being on the World team. Now that she has gained some momentum from here, I hope Courtney can skate to her full potential at her next competition to reach an Olympic spot.
5. Marin Honda: Beautiful redemption! If it wasn’t for such a disastrous SP then she would’ve been on the podium (even making just one of her two major mistakes would’ve been enough). This program is starting to grow on me. Her exquisite skating skills are showcased nicely, and when the jumps are there the program has a good impact. Her next GP is less than a week away (they seriously should prevent back-to-back GPs), so I hope that she can prepare well for it.
6. Rika Hongo: Like Courtney, I thought she had a case for being a placement higher. Anyways, it’s inspiring to see Rika keep on fighting and being in the mix (despite being underscored EVERYWHERE). Her FS is unique and she’s a good performer. I’m always cheering for her!
7. Karen Chen: This new program has good potential. It’s not a warhorse (thank you) or repeat (thank you), and Karen choreographed this program very well. Just a bit of polish can make it shine. Karen has no chance for the GPF now, so I hope that she can focus on her consistency in her next few competitions.

Haven’t wached the others yet other than Anna, and there’s no need to review what happened to her...:cry:

Lzbee

Final Flight
You're right, which is why I wrote "personal things" and not "mental illness". At this point all we know is that she is having back issues this year. She's pretty much had a meltdown per season when there were no known back or any other issues and it's disturbing to watch. I really can't grasp how the same skater can win World and GPF medals and not be able to handle a bad skate. Show me another world class skater in an international event this season who behaves in the same manner as Anna when a skate doesn't go the way they wanted it to.

You're comment implied that she doesn't deserve any sympathy unless she explained herself to you. Gracie was accused of the same things before she made her statement and it was very brave of her to do so because it's such a difficult thing to admit. And I can guarantee you that if she had read any comments like yours, it would have made her feel 10 times worse about herself. There is clearly something very wrong with Anna right now, whether that be physical or psychological and a little sympathy wouldn't go amiss.

To address why she can't handle a bad skate, it's likely frustration with herself since she knows she can do it. I don't want to project but it's hardly unfathomable.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally saw Marin's program. She was so underscored. It was the best free skate of the competition. She was held down on PCS. I didn't see the under-rotations but the judges did for everyone but Kaetlyn.

pearly

Record Breaker
So you think it's just a maturity issue? Could very well be. I definitely hope so, better that than a health issue. It would however be a bit unusual because performing and training at this level normally requires determination and the capacity to handle pressure well. Otherwise you burn out.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Please, let's keep the topic on the competition. If the thread drifts too far, posts will need to be removed etc. etc.
No one wants that.
:ghug:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I've be been traveling all day for work and am just now getting home. I’m scared to read the thread but very curious.

Where to start? Who’s skate is the most inspiring and how did Laurine do? I’ll save my homegirl Masha for last since “she’ll put me to sleep”:roll5:

What is Highlander :eek::

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So I've be been traveling all day for work and am just now getting home. I’m scared to read the thread but very curious.

Where to start? Who’s skate is the most inspiring and how did Laurine do? I’ll save my homegirl Masha for last since “she’ll put me to sleep”:roll5:

What is Highlander :eek::

skip alaine if you don't want to have nightmares...

on a side note, supporting skaters from your own country is completely natural. it doesn't mean that one doesn't like other skaters... what is bugging some of us are the statements that are false generalizations based on nationalities about the federation, coaches or skaters...

moriel

Record Breaker
skip alaine if you don't want to have nightmares...

on a side note, supporting skaters from your own country is completely natural. it doesn't mean that one doesn't like other skaters... what is bugging some of us is the statements that are false generalizations about the federation or skaters...

Actually, skip alaine and Pogo. Just dont. You dont want to know what happened there.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
How does Anna still have the ability to walk :scratch2:

The amount of real nasty falls that girl has taken over the years I'm shocked she isn't in a wheelchair with a neck brace on by now. It hurts like hell just watching on a TV I can't imagine seeing it live let alone actually experiencing it :jaw:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I started my catch up with Laurine featuring Yulia and Adian commentating. Since I don’t understand Russian I’m going to guess from their tone how they felt just for fun.

https://youtu.be/s1aSBb_tAEM

Wow!! I really liked this program and think it is going to get better and hopefully we’ll see it further developed by the time the olympics roll around. I think she’ll go this year and I’m all about it. I am glad she didn’t get all flirty and instead took on a more playful role. I think the music could have easily turned into some silly flirting at times but she didn’t go that way really. Even those double jumps didn’t bother me. Anyway...glad to see the improvements.

Favorite Jump: 3s

Yulia: Sounded 7 out of 10 on the warm scale and other than sounding distressed about some tech issues she sounded pleased. I bet Yulia would score this around 7.5 in components but probably under 7 for transitions :handw:

Adian: Dude...you’re too quiet! Sounded 4 out of 10 on the warm scale and didn’t seem as impressed with her as me. PCS scores from him would certainly range from 6.75 to 7.0 based on tone alone ;)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Good lord. Get a better coach Pogo, that is not what you say to someone who is in physical and mental pain.

It's a cultural difference, in my opinion. About manners of communication. It was a very raw moment for both of them that was captured on live television. I don't think either of them did anything wrong. Both of them were very upset, and it also seems like they have more of a peer relationship as opposed to a hierarchical one.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I started my catch up with Laurine featuring Yulia and Adian commentating. Since I don’t understand Russian I’m going to guess from their tone how they felt just for fun.

https://youtu.be/s1aSBb_tAEM

I neeeed a translation, someone please! Russians, help!!

Also, Laurine has some nice improvements to her skating. The 3Lutz+3Toe is better than many others these days, but of course the judges don't recognize it, and the 3Sal really flew. Gurl needs to work on her spirals and layback though. Not a good ending to the program either, it was really fun for the most part!

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Guys none of Laurine’s or Marin’s FS videos are working for me. Everyone else’s is fine but on Laurine’s and Marin’s I get some kind of regional block notification or something. Is there a non-youtube version somewhere?

Edit: Found a dailymotion version of Marin’s, but can someone post a link to Laurine’s please? :)

I need that link for Marin's FS please.