2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 78 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Yulia: Sounded 7 out of 10 on the warm scale and other than sounding distressed about some tech issues she sounded pleased. I bet Yulia would score this around 7.5 in components but probably under 7 for transitions :handw:

Adian: Dude...you’re too quiet! Sounded 4 out of 10 on the warm scale and didn’t seem as impressed with her as me. PCS scores from him would certainly range from 6.75 to 7.0 based on tone alone ;)

I neeeed a translation, someone please! Russians, help!!

There is nothing special, it isn't TAT. :)

Yulia: Laurine skated rather well. She moved to the US to Kori Ade. Her choreographer is Ward Rohene. We've seen him in K&C many times, apparently, he's a popular choreographer. He has a very creative programs, as we can see with Jason Brown. And in the past he also skated defiantly and unconventionally; he have had a lot of creative finds then, and he's still making such programs for these athletes.
Denis: She was the 5th in the last Europeans, lost only to our girls and Carolina Kostner. Anyway, I think playing Marilyn Monroe on ice should be incredibly difficult. And with the body of Marilyn Monroe... the guys told me during the skate that with the body of Marilyn Monroe you wouldn't stand a chance in figure skating.
Adian: Not quite, but it would be difficult.
Yulia: A very high lutz.
Adian: Yes, her jumps were pretty good. Her technique is not bad, hence the 5th place in the Europeans. Her program is also interesting, I can't remember anyone skating Marilyn Monroe. And her dress is made well, especially for such a program. Nothing superfluous, it looks balanced, and it fits her well. And the skate itself was well too. I think she will get a good scores. Yes, that's her season's best, not bad at all.

deneuved

On the Ice
I don't understand why people don't get Ashley's PCS. She was way - WAY - better artistically than anyone else in the free skate (incl. Kaetlyn), so she deserves those marks. I really like the fact that the judges this year really honour the artistic side even when the technical content is not there (see also Carolina Kostner last week). In German, figure skating is called "Eiskunstlauf" which roughly translates as "art of ice". It is not called "Eissprunglauf" ("jumps on ice") for a reason, and it's the art side that made me love this sport.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I was at a Halloween party yesterday, but I did check the scores and went like: :( for Anna.
Was glad to see Marin had raised herself from the bottom, though.

halulupu

Final Flight
I don't understand why people don't get Ashley's PCS. She was way - WAY - better artistically than anyone else in the free skate (incl. Kaetlyn), so she deserves those marks. I really like the fact that the judges this year really honour the artistic side even when the technical content is not there (see also Carolina Kostner last week). In German, figure skating is called "Eiskunstlauf" which roughly translates as "art of ice". It is not called "Eissprunglauf" ("jumps on ice") for a reason, and it's the art side that made me love this sport.

i give her that she is a perfomer, but not an artist to me. And frankly her tiny jumps are not elegant or anything compared to e.g. kostners, which should show in the PCS. So everyone who thinks she is a contender for a medal at O is just delusional imo

deneuved

On the Ice
i give her that she is a perfomer, but not an artist to me. And frankly her tiny jumps are not elegant or anything compared to e.g. kostners, which should show in the PCS. So everyone who thinks she is a contender for a medal at O is just delusional imo

Yeah - I don't have illusions there either. She will be 7th at best. Then again, she will probably be the best placed American.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There is nothing special, it isn't TAT. :)

Yulia: Laurine skated rather well. She moved to the US to Kori Ade. Her choreographer is Ward Rohene. We've seen him in K&C many times, apparently, he's a popular choreographer. He has a very creative programs, as we can see with Jason Brown. And in the past he also skated defiantly and unconventionally; he have had a lot of creative finds then, and he's still making such programs for these athletes.
Denis: She was the 5th in the last Europeans, lost only to our girls and Carolina Kostner. Anyway, I think playing Marilyn Monroe on ice should be incredibly difficult. And with the body of Marilyn Monroe... the guys told me during the skate that with the body of Marilyn Monroe you wouldn't stand a chance in figure skating.
Adian: Not quite, but it would be difficult.
Yulia: A very high lutz.
Adian: Yes, her jumps were pretty good. Her technique is not bad, hence the 5th place in the Europeans. Her program is also interesting, I can't remember anyone skating Marilyn Monroe. And her dress is made well, especially for such a program. Nothing superfluous, it looks balanced, and it fits her well. And the skate itself was well too. I think she will get a good scores. Yes, that's her season's best, not bad at all.

Just curious how was Julia as a commentator in general? She has always struck me as a blatantly honest, intelligent girl with a wicked sense of humour in her interviews, anything sticks out from her commentary? Big Hanyu fanning? :biggrin:

Globetrotter

Medalist

I think most fans don't get PCS scoring, me inclusive. Nobody disagrees that Ashley deserves high PE, CH but alas, we cannot say the same for transitions (lacking, not stellar quality like say a CaroK) and SS (she has possibly the weakest edge work among top ladies and is noticeably mediocre at speed changes). I don't mean to call just her out, just that Ashley is a prime example of a strong performer with weak basics. Many of the current ladies have SS that are rather meh but are scored too high on them while those who really are great at basic SS edge work (Wakaba, Satoko, Marin) are often given roughly the same as everyone. But then, it's perhaps too much expectation on my part to prefer everyone to move like Yuka Sato or PChan on ice.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I think most fans don't get PCS scoring, me inclusive. Nobody disagrees that Ashley deserves high PE, CH but alas, we cannot say the same for transitions (lacking, not stellar quality like say a CaroK) and SS (she has possibly the weakest edge work among top ladies and is noticeably mediocre at speed changes). I don't mean to call just her out, just that Ashley is a prime example of a strong performer with weak basics. Many of the current ladies have SS that are rather meh but are scored too high on them while those who really are great at basic SS edge work (Wakaba, Satoko, Marin) are often given roughly the same as everyone. But then, it's perhaps too much expectation on my part to prefer everyone to move like Yuka Sato or PChan on ice.

Exactly. It's not just one artistic mark. I love Ashley flair and posing but she doesn't have the basics or spins to match.

deneuved

On the Ice

Probably yes. Then again the PCS system is quite flawed.....it you get high scores in PE, CO and IN, you will mostly get high scores in SS and TR as well

Globetrotter

Medalist
The tech panel here did not judge "hard", they judged WRONG. 5 underrotation calls for Rika Hongo is so absolutely absurd, especially on the first two jumps they called. I would have only called her 3Loop, the rest were right there within the limit and were not given the benefit of the doubt. Karen Chen's Lutz should not have been called and her Flip appears exactly 1/4 short when looking closely, so that too should not have been called, especially since she pre-rotates it less than other skaters when considering "benefit of doubt"! Marin Honda's 3Toe combo was also not more than 1/4 short. Maria Sotskova's Lutz should not have been called either, that was so random.

Partly agree. Rika's 3F-3T was too harsh. I think it was not deserving of the < under the allowance. Karen's flip had an edge error but not a rotation. Maria's 3Lz-3T was marked as < but her solo 3Lz which had its rotation completed on the ice was rectified (***????) - this was dead wrong in Maria's case. I know it did nothing to the BV and overall GOE but hey judging has to be seen to be fair.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Probably yes. Then again the PCS system is quite flawed.....it you get high scores in PE, CO and IN, you will mostly get high scores in SS and TR as well

And I will also never get the whole reputation scoring. Finally managed to watch Marin Honda's FS on dailymotion! Now she really skated this extremely well. Now here is a skate where she performed, interpreted and was choreographed nicely and had stronger SS than any of the US girls (and yes, even all the Russian girls) but was lowballed on PCS. Too junior? First senior outing? I would have her score above Sotskova PCS wise although she will still be off the podium due to her disaster of a SP but still, I expected judging to be based on actual deliverables rather than reputation, seniority and skate order. Giving the smooth gliding and lean of Marin low 7s while weak edge work from Ashley and slow Maria S getting 8s? That was certainly one of those WTH moments.

moriel

Record Breaker
Just curious how was Julia as a commentator in general? She has always struck me as a blatantly honest, intelligent girl with a wicked sense of humour in her interviews, anything sticks out from her commentary? Big Hanyu fanning? :biggrin:

I overall liked her. Her remarks are usually fair and onspot, and she tells some interesting backstage stories about skaters and coaches sometimes.
No Hanyu fanning on this event, but a LOT of Shoma fanning.

One thing i found mildly annoying is that she uses a lot of diminutives (this is a rather common problem in russian - thing of it as a sort of a filler word). Its actually a dit disruptive if you watch a whole event with her, during men and pairs FS she got me cringing every time she said the diminutive of "clean".
She is fairly new at this, and I suppose she will learn to control this with practice.

Overall, I somehow prefer Lip and Denis to Tat and Grishin. Lip and Denis do not talk during skates, they dont talk about totally unrelated stuff or the previous skater during skates (TAT does those things all the time). They don' bodyshame skaters. And so on. Its pretty obvious Denis is more of a soccer / hockey commentator (his lack of knowledge, and sometimes the style of his comments), but thats kinda refreshing, after all the expert commentators.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice

I think she is an artist as well for sure, just not in the traditional elegant sense which some people prefer.

About the Olympics, you are absolutely right. The only way Ashley can medal is for more than three top skaters to forget how to skate.
She said she has her eyes on the medal, though I am pretty sure she knows what we know as well. I think that is an American thing to do and it only conveys the message that you will not give up etc. to the public and the federation. I am all for being realistic but if the American media demands utmost confidence, Ashley has to play according to the rules.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
And I will also never get the whole reputation scoring. Finally managed to watch Marin Honda's FS on dailymotion! Now she really skated this extremely well. Now here is a skate where she performed, interpreted and was choreographed nicely and had stronger SS than any of the US girls (and yes, even all the Russian girls) but was lowballed on PCS. Too junior? First senior outing? I would have her score above Sotskova PCS wise although she will still be off the podium due to her disaster of a SP but still, I expected judging to be based on actual deliverables rather than reputation, seniority and skate order. Giving the smooth gliding and lean of Marin low 7s while weak edge work from Ashley and slow Maria S getting 8s? That was certainly one of those WTH moments.

Everyone was lowballed on the PCS except the americans maybe and Osmond.

For instance Maria Sotskova's PB in the FP was 137 at Finlandia Trophy where if you remember the judging was also very harsh (except for Kostner). Here it was lower by 11 points.

The performance she did yesterday could have been around 140 elsewhere, and you can see the disappointment on the faces of all these girls in the KnC

Globetrotter

Medalist
Everyone was lowballed on the PCS except the americans maybe and Osmond.

For instance Maria Sotskova's PB in the FP was 137 at Finlandia Trophy where if you remember the judging was also very harsh (except for Kostner). Here it was lower by 11 points.

The performance she did yesterday could have been around 140 elsewhere, and you can see the disappointment on the faces of all these girls in the KnC

I think it was just harsh scoring in the TES. As Osmond rarely has < issues, she becomes an unexpected beneficiary of the harsh TES calls. As for the PCS, I will have been fine if it was harshly applied across but that was not the case. Honda was particularly held down although she performed better (personal opinion) and certainly had stronger SS than even Sotskova and Wagner. And you probably also realize from all my rants that I hate the consistent score across all components when it is obviously not so for some skaters. As for Maria Sots, she has potential but her SS and IN are not quite there. With some work on the basic blade work though, she could become a CaroK type skater.

frida80

Record Breaker
I like that Kathlyn work and improve her posture for this program, the improvement from autumn classic is already could be seen.

Some of Maria's jumps look UR, but first Lutz??? :unsure: The second Lutz look worse. BTW, I think the problem with her program is music cut not performance.

Why all Marin's video are blocked?

Sounds likes a Japanese broadcaster bought the rights. Maybe we’ll see it eventually.

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!!

Very sad for Anna, but I'm looking forward to seeing her beautiful skating in this LP. I'm sorry to hear her situation right now, but I remember she was deeply moved to tears when she performed in the ice show in Japan, and I hope she will find those feelings again (I know the competitions and ice shows are different, but still).