2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

mrrice

Record Breaker
How does Anna still have the ability to walk :scratch2:

The amount of real nasty falls that girl has taken over the years I'm shocked she isn't in a wheelchair with a neck brace on by now. It hurts like hell just watching on a TV I can't imagine seeing it live let alone actually experiencing it :jaw:

So much this!!!!! I think people who have never skated don't understand how hard the ice truly is. They also forget about the added torque that was generated to get them up into the air and rotating. Add that to the velocity of travel, then slam it into the ice with no padding whatsoever and it's sheer pain.......That, along with the disappointment of a bad skate and a mean coach.... I almost cried and I was sitting at home on my computer. The Russian ladies are so deep in talent that she must be feeling constant pressure. Just a year ago she was a world medalist and I'm sure she's devastated.

Trewyn

Medalist
What a competition. I wasn’t able to watch live, I just checked Ashley’s pretty disappointing score right after she skated and figured she probably wouldn’t move up much in the standings. I only checked the results hours later when I saw her tweet that sounded way too positive for someone who’d ended up 7th. I was very surprised to see she got the bronze medal. I’m of course super happy. I wish I could watch her performance (all YT vids are apparantly blocked) because reading this comment thread has made me curious to be able to judge myself how good/bad it was. I did rewatch the SP with British ESP commentary and I’m glad they agree with me and I’m not just a delusional fangirl in thinking those jumps looked pretty rotated (did deserve negative GOE because of two-foot and turn) and her PCS mark still deserves to be pretty good.

Hope to be able to get back to this thread after finding a way to watch the LP.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
And I will also never get the whole reputation scoring. Finally managed to watch Marin Honda's FS on dailymotion! Now she really skated this extremely well. Now here is a skate where she performed, interpreted and was choreographed nicely and had stronger SS than any of the US girls (and yes, even all the Russian girls) but was lowballed on PCS. Too junior? First senior outing? I would have her score above Sotskova PCS wise although she will still be off the podium due to her disaster of a SP but still, I expected judging to be based on actual deliverables rather than reputation, seniority and skate order. Giving the smooth gliding and lean of Marin low 7s while weak edge work from Ashley and slow Maria S getting 8s? That was certainly one of those WTH moments.

OK, so me and the dog just went down after reading your post and watched Marin again on the big screen on INW. Yes, I am biased for Marin, but I told myself to watch the performance objectively. I still see a calm, yet focused, expressive, emotional, artistic, technical skating performance.... one of the best performances of the whole competition and it brought the crowd to their feet. That she was not rewarded for that is the fault of the system. I do like Maria and enjoyed her skate very well, but I gotta go with Marin's skate as a performance I would like to see again. It would also be informative to have GS sit down with a couple of judges and watch both skates and hear why they think Maria was better. Not being critical with their ideas or skater placement...just want professional opinions here.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So much this!!!!! I think people who have never skated don't really understand how hard the ice truly is. They also forget about the added torque that was generated to get them up into the air and rotating. Add that to the velocity of travel, then slam it into the ice with no padding whatsoever.......That, along with the disappointment of a bad skate and a mean coach.... I almost cried and I was sitting at home on my computer. The Russian ladies are so deep in talent that she must be feeling constant pressure. Just a year ago she was a world medalist and I'm sure she's devastated.

I have never understood how these folk get up after a bad fall. I fell on the ice in college and it wasnt pretty....and I wasnt coming down from a 4 G jump landing with my feet twisted together like a pretzel. Perhaps at San Jose I can corner a skater and ask them if forward velocity softens the blow or is the ice alot softer now than it was in college. ;)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
That is a good point. BTW, did I miss how old the coach really is?

I looked and couldn't find it, but I'm not the best searcher. I did find that Pogorilaya is her first student, which seems to imply that she's relatively young.

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm really surprised she had a doctor's green light to skate after 5.

(Idk how many of these she went to a doctor for or how bad they were. I don't claim to know her medical history, but usually 3 or 4 is the cut off for a lot of sports).

After her first concussion in 2009, She had body tremors, difficulty walking and talking. Those symptoms lasted 3 months, until, she says, after visiting neurologists, etc, a chiropractor helped her. I'm surprised she continued skating after that first event. I certainly would't have continued after the second one. In an interview she said she had "almost five" concussions.
Don't understand the uncertainty about the number.

skatefancan

Rinkside
Finally caught up with the second half of the competition and - wow

-Sad for Marin after such a nice FS, but she really did kill her chances in the SP, I don't think the judging towards her was that unfair. Maybe a couple more points in PCS.
-I'm absolutely GUTTED for Anna. She's clearly not in her top physical shape and some of those falls were just downright scary. I think with the Russian field this year, her chances of getting that Olympic spot are so slim :( I feel so bad for her and I hope she can find a way to get back to her top shape
-Kaetlyn should have won imo, but her FS score was definitely too high. She's good, but that program just wasn't.
-I don't mind Ashley's PCS. She is one of the best performers out there imo!
-Karen really needs to do something for all those underrotations and she needs to do it fast
-Maria Sotskova is probably going to get that 3rd spot. She's improved but I still find her boring and I loathe her angular tano arm.

What a mess of a competition though, especially compared to the clean skates at CoR!

My thoughts on this:

Marin is wonderful. Beautiful open energy and great speed and flow. Lovely presentation. She will be a force, Byt she got dinged for some UR's. IMO Jumps should all the way around to get credited.

Anna... She's lost strength. You can see it in the way she strokes and uses her arms. This Swan Lake, minus the obvious, is a great comparison with Osmond's. You can truly see the difference in quality overall.

Kaetlyn made mistakes. The program is almost there though. She needs more stamina to really let it fly But her jumps are huge as is her speed. Her stroking is smooth and solid. I want to fix some of her arm positions in that step sequence to create moe flow and add colour. Still best overall of the night.

Ashely gets dinged by Ur's because she has Ur's. As she should. Her speed and quality lacks in comparison to someone like Honda and Osmond. Spins bore me because they are so slow. Great performer but, PCS is not only about performing. It's the edge work, the speed, the flow, the choreo. I feel her programs are not Olympic worthy. She's essentially a show skater to me at this point. But i do appreciate her and she makes things interesting.

Karen... Yes those jumps. She needs them. And then let's talk about her PCS once she has those.

Sotskova was good! Nice program for her. Safe. Pretty music. Some body movements that were awkward, but also some lovely movement qualities. She's not there yet overall. But she may get there in a year or 2.

Why does the Russian jump technique (usually on the females) look scratchy most times? Any insight?

skatefancan

Rinkside
My thoughts on this:

Marin is wonderful. Beautiful open energy and great speed and flow. Lovely presentation. She will be a force, Byt she got dinged for some UR's. IMO Jumps should all the way around to get credited.

Anna... She's lost strength. You can see it in the way she strokes and uses her arms. This Swan Lake, minus the obvious, is a great comparison with Osmond's. You can truly see the difference in quality overall.

Kaetlyn made mistakes. The program is almost there though. She needs more stamina to really let it fly But her jumps are huge as is her speed. Her stroking is smooth and solid. I want to fix some of her arm positions in that step sequence to create moe flow and add colour. Still best overall of the night.

Ashely gets dinged by Ur's because she has Ur's. As she should. Her speed and quality lacks in comparison to someone like Honda and Osmond. Spins bore me because they are so slow. Great performer but, PCS is not only about performing. It's the edge work, the speed, the flow, the choreo. I feel her programs are not Olympic worthy. She's essentially a show skater to me at this point. But i do appreciate her and she makes things interesting.

Karen... Yes those jumps. She needs them. And then let's talk about her PCS once she has those.

Sotskova was good! Nice program for her. Safe. Pretty music. Some body movements that were awkward, but also some lovely movement qualities. She's not there yet overall. But she may get there in a year or 2.

Why does the Russian jump technique (usually on the females) look scratchy most times? Any insight?

Sorry for typo's. In transit.

pearly

Record Breaker
So much this!!!!! I think people who have never skated don't understand how hard the ice truly is. They also forget about the added torque that was generated to get them up into the air and rotating. Add that to the velocity of travel, then slam it into the ice with no padding whatsoever.......That, along with the disappointment of a bad skate and a mean coach.... I almost cried and I was sitting at home on my computer. The Russian ladies are so deep in talent that she must be feeling constant pressure. Just a year ago she was a world medalist and I'm sure she's devastated.

Shockingly, it seems she never learned how to fall. I don't know how though, but here it is. The ice is just as hard for other skaters who manage to get up and finish. I was a competitive skater, I know what a fall is. She has some sort of mental block preventing her from picking herself up. Once she's down, she's really down. I don't understand how the fed or her coaching team haven't been able to help fix that issue.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I am shocked at how many people say Kaetlyn's program was "almost there". If anyone else had skated that program, they would probably place like 10th in the FS. No ugly stepout of the 3-3 combination, a popped flip, and a fall on 2A? Not to mention sloppy-looking ballet-mimicking "movements" that don't seem to have any edge flow? How does that deserve to be #1 LP, especially above Marin? Why can PCS be arbitrarily adjusted in favor of a certain skater? This is not even a sport anymore. It is dirty, dirty politics, and I am very sad for the up and rising talented skaters who are starting to realize what they have to deal with now and in the future (i.e. Marin, Wakaba, the Korean girls, etc etc). :(

THIS program (the first one in the video) got lower PCS AND lower TES than a program with a fall, a step out and hand down of a 3-3, and a popped flip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPkOGStr40 :shocked: :confused:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have never understood how these folk get up after a bad fall. I fell on the ice in college and it wasnt pretty....and I wasnt coming down from a 4 G jump landing with my feet twisted together like a pretzel. Perhaps at San Jose I can corner a skater and ask them if forward velocity softens the blow or is the ice alot softer now than it was in college. ;)

This is an excellent question!!! I think some of it depends on the fall itself. If a skater's picks hit the ice first, there is a twisting of the hips from the momentum of the jump. This can cause hip, knee, and ankle injuries (Before) a skater even hits the ice. My concussion came after falling as I slid across the ice and into the wall head first. I also hurt my hip as I landed on my side. It looks so pretty on TV but, there are ruts and divots in the ice that can cut your hands if you hit them at a certain angle. I remember when Miki Ando had a weird fall and cut her herself with her own blade......

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian fed replaced [Anna Pogorilaya] with another skater for Skate America.

The Russian fed can WITHDRAW Anna P. from Skate America, but they can't REPLACE her with another Russian skater.

If the Russian fed does withdraw Anna, USFS will replace her with a skater of the USFS's choice, and it's unlikely to be another Russian skater, given the transportation cost at such short notice.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
The B. Eurosport commentators can't believe it either. They're actually speechless lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPkOGStr40?t=7m14s

And they are also silent about Osmond's PCS besides saying "Look at that mark...that's huge". I really hope these guys don't get sick of this mess and quit commentating. :noshake:

Osmond was over scored a bit, but I think you are misinterpreting the B. Eurosport's commentators. They were just gushing 30 seconds ago about how brilliant and "perfect" swan lake was for Osmond. They said it's going to be amazing when she goes clean with this program. Then, they highlighted how huge her second mark score was. They were making an observation, not necessarily criticizing and definitely not disagreeing with her marks

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Osmond was over scored a bit, but I think you are misinterpreting the B. Eurosport's commentators. They were just gushing 30 seconds ago about how brilliant and "perfect" swan lake was for Osmond. They said it's going to be amazing when she goes clean with this program. Then, they highlighted how huge her second mark score was. They were making an observation, not necessarily criticizing and definitely not disagreeing with her marks

Ageed johnsmith72, some may have forgotten that the B ESP commentators post performance ALSO said, "the quality of her jumps is 2nd to none", ...and "she is going to be the leader that's for sure", and as well "will she win the free...probably" (with Anna to follow). All said prior to marks posted.

Thank God the judges at Skate Canada, did not give 10's in PCS after having just one fall, or we would never hear the end of it ;)