2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

madison

Record Breaker
Of course they did. It's enough to look at Daniil G. reaction to Alina scores at JGP Slovenia last year.
Alina was in JGPF no matter what, still he shaked his head with disgust, when he heard her scores and realized Marin won silver and advanced to the final.
If you read Russian skating fora, you'll find out half of Russian fans love Marin. No other foreign skater is as popular as her and I bet Eteri would like to have her girls exclusively occupying Russian fans' hearts... ;)

Popularity, emotions towards a skater are very important in this sport, they translate to media attention, shows, advertisement, etc..
Russian girls are lovely, but so is Marin. :)

I think Daniil's reaction was most about how Zagi skated there not about Marin.

moriel

Record Breaker
Of course they did. It's enough to look at Daniil G. reaction to Alina scores at JGP Slovenia last year.
Alina was in JGPF no matter what, still he shaked his head with disgust, when he heard her scores and realized Marin won silver and advanced to the final.
If you read Russian skating fora, you'll find out half of Russian fans love Marin. No other foreign skater is as popular as her and I bet Eteri would like to have her girls exclusively occupying Russian fans' hearts... ;)

Popularity, emotions towards a skater are very important in this sport, they translate to media attention, shows, advertisement, etc..

I´m pretty sure he was upset with Alina's scores lols You are really seeing things.

As for Marin, she is lovely, but she does not have the technical goods for now, which is the thing that translates into medals and worlds spots and so on. Considering current japanese seniors, and the juniors who will soon turn senior, I dont think Marin stands a chance.

madison

Record Breaker
I do think that Eteri and her team don't underestimate any skater and consider them equally challenging. Though, I'm sure they focus more on their skaters to skate as good as possible.

madison

Record Breaker
I´m pretty sure he was upset with Alina's scores lols You are really seeing things.

As for Marin, she is lovely, but she does not have the technical goods for now, which is the thing that translates into medals and worlds spots and so on. Considering current japanese seniors, and the juniors who will soon turn senior, I dont think Marin stands a chance.

I have to disagree with that. I think Marin has everything to win medals. Of course she has to work furthermore. And except Rika Khihara, who also deals with inconsistency, I don't see any other junior to challenge the first spots in Japan.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

As far as i know Eteri/Daniil/Sergei look at the PB in the KnC, so he was shaking his heads because Alina skated clean and they didn't gave her the PB, not so much because of the rest of the competition.

He did the same with Skirda at the same event if i remember correctly, this season with Trusova in Brisbane,...

Eteri said last year in the interview with Ted Flett the goal is to skate clean, because if Evgenia skates clean she can aim for a medal (the question was about Worlds 2016), then who are the competitors don't really matter. I think this is the mantra for all their skaters, and it should be for every skater.

I remember Rafael Arutyunyan also said a similar thing.

viennaskater

Medalist
those tanos are annoying. they aren't like Boitano's tano... very few are, however.. it's more like, throw that arm up and spin who cares how it looks....

lovely skate from Maria, but man, its not that interesting at all.... i was lulled to sleep almost...

Good, I'm not the only one who thought that.

viennaskater

Medalist
Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post
Oh look, it's Russia's Angela Nikodinov, but with a Triple-Triple. My refrigerator is calling.

RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Why was that rude?? Bear in mind, I had to look up Angela Nikodinov because I'd never heard of her. But I HAD heard of her husband, Ivan Dinev, I remember him!

tars

Record Breaker
As far as i know Eteri/Daniil/Sergei look at the PB in the KnC, so he was shaking his heads because Alina skated clean and they didn't gave her the PB, not so much because of the rest of the competition.
:confused:
She fell, had two downgraded, three underrotated jumps and couple of two-footed landings. Scored 109 and went down from first to 4th place overall.
Such low placement let average that day (178) Marin get silver and advance to the final.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think the fact Marin was robbed with a fine tuning of PCS adjusting for the next skaters needs more attention. If she had gotten even SIX points more in the FS she would have been 3rd and had a chance for GPF. :disapp:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
She fell, had two downgraded, three underrotated jumps and couple of two-footed landings. Scored 109 and went down from first to 4th place overall.
Such low placement let average that day (178) Marin get silver and advance to the final.

oh i thought you were talking about her SP, because he shaked his head on that too.

https://youtu.be/hgVPPA2VLvw?t=328

and as i said he did it for other skaters at other events, so i don't think it was related to Marin Honda in any way. (more to the low score itself)

https://youtu.be/DtXMAr4mMk4?t=306

But you're right that Marin is popular in Russia, mostly because she was the only one who was able to break Russia's winning streak in juniors. The russian commentator for Eurosport also praised her artistry and skating skills in the short program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-4zWz1srk

madison

Record Breaker
oh i thought you were talking about her SP, because he shaked his head on that too.

https://youtu.be/hgVPPA2VLvw?t=328

and as i said he did it for other skaters at other events, so i don't think it was related to Marin Honda in any way. (more to the low score itself)

https://youtu.be/DtXMAr4mMk4?t=306

But you're right that Marin is popular in Russia, mostly because she was the only one who was able to break Russia's winning streak in juniors. The russian commentator for Eurosport also praised her artistry and skating skills in the short program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-4zWz1srk

Which are the most popular ladies in Russia (in figure skating)?:)

moriel

Record Breaker

Exactly. And I mean, for real, are you saying that Alina's coach was grumpy because some random other skater got silver, and not because his own skater bombed?

Possible reasons for a coach to be grumpy and concerned:
1. His own skater bombed
2. It could mean she is injured or sick
3. It could mean she needs to train more or differently, change office training blablabla
4. Maybe they will need to water down the program because its a bit too hard?
5. Or Alina is starting to go through puberty? A growth spurt could take her out of top competition for a whole season, this would be bad right before Olympics.
6. Alina's direct competition is Medvedeva, who makes a mistake once a season. Alina bombed, so thats not a favourable comparison that the russian Fed will make.
7. Alina bombed, which means she will get less reputation and less PCs boost going into GPF and Junior Worlds.
8. If she performs like this at junior worlds/gpf, it could totally screw her Olympic chances too
9. Marin will go to GPF

I mean, Occam's razor? Because out of all those and many other reasons, it was 9 that bothered her coach.

madison

Record Breaker
Exactly. And I mean, for real, are you saying that Alina's coach was grumpy because some random other skater got silver, and not because his own skater bombed?

Possible reasons for a coach to be grumpy and concerned:
1. His own skater bombed
2. It could mean she is injured or sick
3. It could mean she needs to train more or differently, change office training blablabla
4. Maybe they will need to water down the program because its a bit too hard?
5. Or Alina is starting to go through puberty? A growth spurt could take her out of top competition for a whole season, this would be bad right before Olympics.
6. Alina's direct competition is Medvedeva, who makes a mistake once a season. Alina bombed, so thats not a favourable comparison that the russian Fed will make.
7. Alina bombed, which means she will get less reputation and less PCs boost going into GPF and Junior Worlds.
8. If she performs like this at junior worlds/gpf, it could totally screw her Olympic chances too
9. Marin will go to GPF

I mean, Occam's razor? Because out of all those and many other reasons, it was 9 that bothered her coach.

Ohh, it was just a spontaneous reaction, don't think he had time to think to all of these possibilities. Probably he was just upset because she didn't skate clean.... And at that moment, she could have ended on fourth place, which meant :biggrin:outside JGP final because there was another skater to perform, Alisa Lozko, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway, we can ask directly Daniil why he was so upset lol:))):biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
Ohh, it was just a spontanous reaction, don't think he had time to think to all of these possibilities. Probably he was just upset because she didn't skate clean.... And at that moment, she could have ended on fourth place, which meant :biggrin:outside JGP final because there was another skater to perform, Alisa Lozko, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway, we can ask directly Daniil why he was so upset lol:))):biggrin:

Yep someone should. Because people here claim that he was upset because Marin got Silver, which means she would go to GPF.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think she does have the "technical goods." This competition was not typical of what she has done in the past. With all of the hype, it's tempting to try to dismiss her, but she is the real deal, in my opinion. I only wish the US had a skater like her.