2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies FS

Why was that rude?? Bear in mind, I had to look up Angela Nikodinov because I'd never heard of her. But I HAD heard of her husband, Ivan Dinev, I remember him!

Long-time U.S. commentator Dick Button once described Angela Nikodinov's skating as a "refrigerator break" -- that is. it was so boring he didn't want to watch it. Button was roundly criticized for being cruel to a hard-working and talented skater.

On the other hand, the next season Nikodinov came out like gangbusters with much improved presentation. She always had the best classic layback among US skaters of that era.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Long-time US commentator Dick Button once described Angela Nikodinov's skating as a "refrigerator break" -- i.e., that is was so boring he didn't want tpo watch it. Button was roundly criticized for being cruel to a hard-working and talented skater.

On the other hand, the next season Nikodinov came out like gangbusters with much improved presentation. She always had the best classic layback among US skaters of that era.

Thanks for that - I've learned something today!

anyanka

Record Breaker
There just aren't that many big cities in Canada, TBH. I'd rather they send an occasional competition to the prairies than always stay in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. I could have actually gone to Regina, if I had any money-- not so easy for me to get to Montreal.

I like that they also do competitions in the Prairies, but FYI Vancouver got the 2010 OG and nothing since, not until the nationals and GPF in the same year for 2018, and they had to wait eight years for it.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Of course they did. It's enough to look at Daniil G. reaction to Alina scores at JGP Slovenia last year.
Alina was in JGPF no matter what, still he shaked his head with disgust, when he heard her scores and realized Marin won silver and advanced to the final.
Marin get silver and advance to the final.

I know I’m :eek:topic: for this, but correction: Marin actually wasn’t confirmed to be qualified for the final yet at that point. JGP Slovenia wasn’t the final event. If Stanislava Konstantinova won or placed 2nd with a high score at JGP Germany (which took place the week after), and if Anastasiia Gubanova was at least 3rd there too, then Marin would’ve been out of the final. So it wasn’t known for sure whether or not Marin would’ve made it or not (which we all know she did at the end).

tars

Record Breaker
I know I’m :eek:topic: for this, but correction: Marin actually wasn’t confirmed to be qualified for the final yet at that point. JGP Slovenia wasn’t the final event. If Stanislava Konstantinova won or placed 2nd with a high score at JGP Germany (which took place the week after), and if Anastasiia Gubanova was at least 3rd there too, then Marin would’ve been out of the final. So it wasn’t known for sure whether or not Marin would’ve made it or not (which we all know she did at the end).
You're correct. But if Alina had placed over Marin (who had average toruney), Marin would've very likely been eliminated and I suspect that's what made Daniil so disgusted.
As it appeared, Marin could have finished 3rd and she'd still have advanced, but Daniil couldn't have known that atm.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think the fact Marin was robbed with a fine tuning of PCS adjusting for the next skaters needs more attention. If she had gotten even SIX points more in the FS she would have been 3rd and had a chance for GPF. :disapp:

Consider Alina had 67+ in her Sr. debut, and Marin had higher PCS in general than her at Junor worlds, this is very possible.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wjc2017/wjc2017_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

She received 60 here. If Skate Canada had lenient judging like the ones generally at Rostelecom cup and she doesn't called <, she might have even won the FS.

I have seen how strict tech callers tends to be assigned to NHK to affect Japanese ladies' reputation (for <), I am not surprised they are used here. So many silly games ISU plays, it is hard to ignore them.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I have seen how strict tech callers tends to be assigned to NHK to affect Japanese ladies' reputation (for <), I am not surprised they are used here. So many silly games ISU plays, it is hard to ignore them.

And unfortunately, the three Japanese skaters at NHK this year are the ones who are hit with the most URs among the top ladies in Japan.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It is very normal and classy for a crowd to try and encourage a struggling skater. The canadians are not sitting there applauding Anna while cackling to themselves about how she's no threat. Seriously?

Canadian crowds are knowledgeable, enthusiastic, passionate and empathetic, when it comes to skating. Who would ever want to pay to attend a live event, only to watch a skater unravel. They were there to support and appreciate all skaters, regardless of nationhood, not watch an athlete implode.

I thought it was a class act to applaud a courageous young lady, knowing she is sooo much better than that. Respect!

moriel

Record Breaker
You're correct. But if Alina had placed over Marin (who had average toruney), Marin would've very likely been eliminated and I suspect that's what made Daniil so disgusted.
As it appeared, Marin could have finished 3rd and she'd still have advanced, but Daniil couldn't have known that atm.

LOL =D
Again, he was just upset his own skater bombed. Please use occam's razor and stop making up stuff.

moriel

Record Breaker
Consider Alina had 67+ in her Sr. debut, and Marin had higher PCS in general than her at Junor worlds, this is very possible.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wjc2017/wjc2017_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

She received 60 here. If Skate Canada had lenient judging like the ones generally at Rostelecom cup and she doesn't called <, she might have even won the FS.

Well, to start with, Zagi got 67+ PCs in her senior debut after finishing 3rd (with a 0.4 difference from Kostner).
Here, Marin did not have such advantage. Then, Sotskova also got a bunch of URs here, that would maybe not be called with a more lenient pannel.
I think that even with a less strict pannel, the FS order would have remained the same.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
I appreciate Marin more now after seeing her in the kiss n cry. She was very accepting/gracious even after a stellar FS. She just was so unassuming. Compare this to Samarin's reactions. LOLZ. Anyway, Marin was definitely lowballed and the scoring here was so ????? that we really cannot rule her out.

After seeing her perform at SC, Marin to me has all the makings of a future star. She def. stood out imo versus many of the other competitors. The ability to emote and project on the ice, is always appreciated by me and underestimated by many. She did both here, exquisitely.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Really weirdly-scored event. I liked Kaetlyn's Swan Lake, but those two Swans back to back just made me think back to my favorite long program of all time. No 3-3s, but more beauty and artistry than the entire last Olympic quad's worth of females put together, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo3hgBV59bc&t=45s

I am a big fan of Kaetlyn but the swan is missing there... All the way through the program I kept thinking of Sasha (I prefer the original choreo of her 'black & white' swan done by TAT)

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Now that I have seen the videos, hmm I cannot make a case for Hicks for bronze. She is so unpolished compared to Ashley. And Ashley's rotation was there for most of her jumps this time. Kudos to her.

If we dont factor in Ashley's concussions and their role in her repeating programs, I would say she should immediately get minus whatever for repeating a program for the 3rd cycle. Goodness! I have zero excitement for this program! Cant she give LLL a try? About her jumps, her Lutz looked better this time. maybe a !. What did she get for it? Haven't seen the protocols.

Sotskova: she is a contender absolutely. Just no IT factor. It is what it is.

KO: happy for her. For so long she's been struggling. I hope she goes clean at the games. She is a performer. She feels the music, movements. Correct placement, not sure about the scores. The posters here have a valid point. If we mark down, we mark down across the board.

AP: we dont need to rule her out. she has ruled herself out. Sorry but it is what it is. I'm a fan but she is Russian Gracie Gold. At one time a fierce champion, the next she forgets how to compete. How is this even possible?! so frustrating!

PChan: He should see the interview of Han Yan about him. Chan is a legend. period. She is like Mao. They can just do doubles and no one would give a ****. but it's a competition and 90 PCS is simply...unfair because there are others being scored.

Samarin: Fierce competitor. Quad Lutz! this makes him the ___ skater to land it? His air positions are lovely. Pleasing to the eyes. But what isn't pleasing is his CHoreo! just bleh! Give this guy a north american choreographer please! If he only knows cold/angry/rage, then give him cold/angry/rage but please fill it with transitions, meaningful chores! His FS is so lifeless!

Jason Brown: Sans the quad, he is perfection! nuanced indeed! just amazing! PCS the best of the night without any doubt (even better than Uno's of course duh!) SS is still behind PChan but definitely in its penumbra. The rest of the PCS categories, however, should be his decisively. the thing about Jason is his reliability. He just delivers time after time after time! the other US men really have their work cut out for them with Jason around. Jason has one of his feet firmly on that second spot.

Pairs: S/M just breathtaking. If they skate this cleanly at the games, I dont care what medal they get! I haven't seen something like this in a long time! Bruno please get your act together. Your queen demands no less. This is an olympic worthy program, just like Jason's FS!

(*dont follow Dance as much*)

ssffww

On the Ice
Now that I have seen the videos, hmm I cannot make a case for Hicks for bronze. She is so unpolished compared to Ashley. And Ashley's rotation was there for most of her jumps this time. Kudos to her.

If we dont factor in Ashley's concussions and their role in her repeating programs, I would say she should immediately get minus whatever for repeating a program for the 3rd cycle. Goodness! I have zero excitement for this program! Cant she give LLL a try? About her jumps, her Lutz looked better this time. maybe a !. What did she get for it? Haven't seen the protocols.

Sotskova: she is a contender absolutely. Just no IT factor. It is what it is.

KO: happy for her. For so long she's been struggling. I hope she goes clean at the games. She is a performer. She feels the music, movements. Correct placement, not sure about the scores. The posters here have a valid point. If we mark down, we mark down across the board.

AP: we dont need to rule her out. she has ruled herself out. Sorry but it is what it is. I'm a fan but she is Russian Gracie Gold. At one time a fierce champion, the next she forgets how to compete. How is this even possible?! so frustrating!

PChan: He should see the interview of Han Yan about him. Chan is a legend. period. She is like Mao. They can just do doubles and no one would give a ****. but it's a competition and 90 PCS is simply...unfair because there are others being scored.

Samarin: Fierce competitor. Quad Lutz! this makes him the ___ skater to land it? His air positions are lovely. Pleasing to the eyes. But what isn't pleasing is his CHoreo! just bleh! Give this guy a north american choreographer please! If he only knows cold/angry/rage, then give him cold/angry/rage but please fill it with transitions, meaningful chores! His FS is so lifeless!

Jason Brown: Sans the quad, he is perfection! nuanced indeed! just amazing! PCS the best of the night without any doubt (even better than Uno's of course duh!) SS is still behind PChan but definitely in its penumbra. The rest of the PCS categories, however, should be his decisively. the thing about Jason is his reliability. He just delivers time after time after time! the other US men really have their work cut out for them with Jason around. Jason has one of his feet firmly on that second spot.

Pairs: S/M just breathtaking. If they skate this cleanly at the games, I dont care what medal they get! I haven't seen something like this in a long time! Bruno please get your act together. Your queen demands no less. This is an olympic worthy program, just like Jason's FS!

(*dont follow Dance as much*)

They can't give Ashley a minus for repeating a program when there are no rules against it. They can't just randomly decide to penalize skaters. On the other hand, the lack of excitement both on Ashley's part and the judges may cause her to get lower PCS as the season progresses.

Kirei

On the Ice
Sotskova's Flip and Lutz takeoffs are BOTH textbook. And doing (different) 3-3 combos off both 3F and 3Lz too. Rare sight these days, and I love it.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, to start with, Zagi got 67+ PCs in her senior debut after finishing 3rd (with a 0.4 difference from Kostner).
Here, Marin did not have such advantage. Then, Sotskova also got a bunch of URs here, that would maybe not be called with a more lenient pannel.
I think that even with a less strict pannel, the FS order would have remained the same.

I think that if Masha had not gotten those calls then she would have been the FS leader (maybe overall behind Osmond but maybe not) and then Marin (had she skated later, had higher PCS, etc) and then Kaetlyn.