2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS

JustMe

On the Ice
You said quite a bit, actually. :)

I did say a lot, lol, but mostly because I'd been hoping to see him progress technically and expand stylistically, but he hasn't (well, at least no to my taste, lol).
But you also said a lot about Jason's jumping abilities and limitations, and sort of summed up his scoring potential. His Hamilton program is definitely my least favorite sp he's ever competed! If it would watch this on mute, I'd guess he was skating to Sweet Charity, NOT to a hip-hop musical. This program had more flexed hands with tweaked-out fingers than synchronized swimming and women's gymnastics floor routines! I didn't mind his free program as much mostly because it feels like I was watching his program from last couple season, but with a worse costume.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, Jason and Misha--much as I enjoy his skating--are not in the same league. I would describe Jason's skating as organic. It isn't just skating from one element to the next. And he has charisma. Now he just needs to get rid of that awful LP costume!

Agreed:thumbsup:

I am a long-time Misha fan (look it up, I've adored him ever since crazy purple hair Misha:agree2:) He brings his own Misha flair to skating and I love that. It's also interesting to see so many folks on the Misha train this year, when Misha has essentially said, eff the quads, I'm not doing them, and I'm bringing something else to the table. And I :luv17: him for saying that.

But Misha does not have Jason's technical skills. He doesn't have his skating skills and he doesn't have, dare we say it, :p, Jason's jumps. He is Misha and he is marvelous, but he would not be getting Jason's scores if he skated for the US, Russia or Japan.

And I am happy to see both Jason and Misha finally get some of the PCS love they deserve:biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did say a lot, lol, but mostly because I'd been hoping to see him progress technically and expand stylistically, but he hasn't (well, at least no to my taste, lol).
But you also said a lot about Jason's jumping abilities and limitations, and sort of summed up his scoring potential. His Hamilton program is definitely my least favorite sp he's ever competed! If it would watch this on mute, I'd guess he was skating to Sweet Charity, NOT to a hip-hop musical. This program had more flexed hands with tweaked-out fingers than synchronized swimming and women's gymnastics floor routines! I didn't mind his free program as much mostly because it feels like I was watching his program from last couple season, but with a worse costume.

If you don't like flexed hands and elegant finger extensions, you'll never love Jason, and that's your right. Of course, I love them and think that's part of what Jason brings to skating that is special and transcends jumping:luv17:

And since Lin-Manuel Miranda is fan of the SP, I'll go with his opinion that it represents hip-hop on ice.

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/924125892170928128

Now that I'm talking about the SP in the LP thread.........:eek:topic::biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

OT obviously, I'm not totally on board with the Hamilton program (though I liked it better this time around), but I can at least acknowledge from a basic standpoint that it's clear that Jason loves this program.

I do agree that his program has elements of his last two programs, but I find it hard to pick on Jason for that when there are skaters who are outright repeating programs more than once. I don't agree that this is a carbon copy of his past programs though.

Finally, Jason, as his career history shows, does take a while to get jumps -- that's going to frustrate any person who has a certain benchmark or expectation regarding the time it takes to master jumps. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people got out of his train, or believe he will never get the quad. But despite all that, he's improved on the jumps and his overall skating to get silver medal at Skate Canada and has a good shot at GPF; so I find it hard to say this wasn't a successful competition for him.

We'll see where he is for NHK.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I didn't start really watching FS until 2015, so for me that is just something for the History books [emoji22]

Mura's best season, IMO, was 2014-2015. He won Skate Canada over Javi that season. Finished third at NHK over Hanyu. And qualified for the GPF, where he defeated Machida.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How can Rohene be so beautiful himself and have Jason skate in in this.... i just don't get it.

Well . . . Jason rode the plane home today in plaid pajama bottoms. So maybe we should be grateful that someone is intervening and recommending pants. LOL.