2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS

da96103

Record Breaker
Osmond did something the same on her combo and she didn't get a fall either.

That explains it. If Poutine cooking says Kaetlyn's is not a fall, then the judges on the men's side also have to do unagi cooking and say Shoma's is not a fall either.

Though the most likely explanation is that if a skater's weight is supported by two blades and a hand, the hand supports 33% of the body weight and that is not a majority.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
And Jason is definitely not overscored in PCS, though if he wasn't from the USA he sadly would likely not get the kind of scores he gets.

I´d believe in that case he would be getting the scores Ge is getting.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Is this true? I read on YT

Chan talked about his desire to join the chinese team.. he said that he wasn't being 'appreciated' enough and depending on what your pov is that's how you interpret it. However, its known that he has financial problems. If you are an athlete in china, they give you everything. Food, shelter, coaching, skates, ice time, money all of that. You don't get any of it in canada. he skated really well back when Christy Krall was his coach. that costed $$ which he doesnt have

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Chan talked about his desire to join the chinese team.. he said that he wasn't being 'appreciated' enough and depending on what your pov is that's how you interpret it. However, its known that he has financial problems. If you are an athlete in china, they give you everything. Food, shelter, coaching, skates, ice time, money all of that. You don't get any of it in canada. he skated really well back when Christy Krall was his coach. that costed $$ which he doesnt have

before sochi, there was a talk about that: they had misquoted Patrick.... it's probably the same thing. Old and "fake-ish" news
Patrick is very proud to be Canadian and he has repeatedly said so over the summer, for instance, how the Cohen song is a perfect Canadian tribute for his swan song

Eclair

Medalist
German Eurosport REALLY dislike his smile. Jason is their Number 1 villain! You know, Germans always look grumpy....:p Happy people are a mystery.

Were did you get that? I know the German Eurosport guys don't like him much, because they think he's overscored in PCS. I never had the impression that they didn't like his personality ...

Personally I think Jason deserves every PCS he gets. I saw a fan-cam of his FS earlier this season (gives a lot more perspective how it looks live) and even then his FS was just outstandingly beautiful.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
before sochi, there was a talk about that the misquoted Patrick.... it's probably the same thing. Old and "fake-ish" news

I don't understand such things.. That is OK if a skater isn't cup of tea for a FS fan but why they want bad things to an athlete by spreading fake news?!

That was based on an old interview some years ago. Patrick was just griping about how figure skating is not appreciated or supported in Canada and the U.S. compared to some other countries.

He was raked over the coals on the Internet for his remarks (he was the sport's whipping boy anyway., because he fell in some big events but won anyway), but most people just thought it was Patrick being Patrick.

Patrick is not poor and his family is generous. But, yes, figure skating costs a lot of money.

Last edited:
It probably comes off a little over the top and corny, artificial. Most people have more than one emotion. In my experience people from countries like Germany, Russia, etc. think it's fine to smile when you have a reason to smile, but wearing a plastered-on grin 24 hours a day is suspect. I am American but I tend to agree.

This is America's way of being "inscrutable." Ifd you smile all the time, no one will know what you are really thinking. ;)

The biggest smiler a while back was Alissa Czisny, :love: She had a most beautiful smile and it was never more dazzling than when she picked herself up after a fall. She was no doubt thinking, "oh, bleep," but she looked like she was doing a toothpaste ad. :rock:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't understand such things.. That is OK if a skater isn't cup of tea for a FS fan but why they want bad things to an athlete by spreading fake news?!

simply because people back then Patrick was the main contender and anytime he said something, it was transformed..... I was amazed when I first joined the forum as I had been following Patrick for years, and saw him genuine, open minded, honest with his fans, and down to earth.... + super goofy and likeable.

So on the forums, I discovered this misconstrued personality some had created ... and I spent my first year on the forum defending Patrick.... Thanks to the quadsters, nobody cares about Patrick anymore, so I can just breathe and admire his beautiful skating.

All he meant, if I recall correctly, is that he wished that the state would fund the sport better.... Also, think about this : hockey players, in the NHL, and not just the top ones, earn millions per year...while figure skaters pay to do their sport.... it's a big thing in Canada, how olympic athletes are often struggling while our hockey players are buying penthouses downtown.... etc

da96103

Record Breaker

He does have his ice wine business, which should be making money. Canadian fans should start buying those bottles if they want Patrick to stick around.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
simply because people back then Patrick was the main contender and anytime he said something, it was transformed..... I was amazed when I first joined the forum as I had been following Patrick for years, and saw him genuine, open minded, honest with his fans, and down to earth.... + super goofy and likeable.

So on the forums, I discovered this misconstrued personality some had created ... and I spent my first year on the forum defending Patrick.... Thanks to the quadsters, nobody cares about Patrick anymore, so I can just breathe and admire his beautiful skating.

All he meant, if I recall correctly, is that he wished that the state would fund the sport better.... Also, think about this : hockey players, in the NHL, and not just the top ones, earn millions per year...while figure skaters pay to do their sport.... it's a big thing in Canada, how olympic athletes are often struggling while our hockey players are buying penthouses downtown.... etc

I believe..this happens with the soccer players in my country..Your hockey players are very good maybe the best in the world but our soccer players are the worst in Europe! They earn a lots of money for nothing!

Hockey players, in the NHL, and not just the top ones, earn millions per year...while figure skaters pay to do their sport....

The ISU made a concerted effort in the late 1990s to seize control pver all skating competitions. This killed professional skating (in the U,S. at least). Back in the day, Scott Hamilton marveled at the fact that event organizers would pay him a hundred thousand dollars for one performance in a pro competition at Sun Valley. When Janet Lynn signed with Ice Capades, her 1.5 million dollar contract made her the highest-paod woman athlete in the world. Michelle Kwan made US$ 10,000,000 or so from her skating.

The reason hockey players make so much money is that millions of people are willing to pay big bucks to watch them perform. This aspect of figure skating -- performing for the audience -- has gradually been whittled away and is now hardly a consideration at amateur skating contests. :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is America's way of being "inscrutable." Ifd you smile all the time, no one will know what you are really thinking. ;)

The biggest smiler a while back was Alissa Czisny, :love: She had a most beautiful smile and it was never more dazzling than when she picked herself up after a fall. She was no doubt thinking, "oh, bleep," but she looked like she was doing a toothpaste ad. :rock:

Alissa was always gracious, even in struggle.

I get why people are put off my Jason's bubbly personality. I think he's your typical grade A extrovert. He just gets so hyped up being around and performing for so many people, which is when we all see him the most. The exuberance is probably toned down when he's in more one-to-one settings.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The ISU made a concerted effort in the late 1990s to seize control pver all skating competitions. This killed professional skating (in the U,S. at least). Back in the day, Scott Hamilton marveled at the fact that event organizers would pay him a hundred thousand dollars for one performance in a pro competition at Sun Valley. When Janet Lynn signed with Ice Capades, her 1.5 million dollar contract made her the highest-paod woman athlete in the world. Michelle Kwan made US$ 10,000,000 or so from her skating.

The reason hockey players make so much money is that millions of people are willing to pay big bucks to watch them perform. This aspect of figure skating -- performing for the audience -- has gradually been whittled away and is now hardly a consideration at amateur skating contests. :(

yup... and i know that it is still possible for the top skaters to earn a decent living from appearance money and sponsors... but my point is that the millionaires in hockey are not only the top guns... here is something .. the lowest paid hockey player on that list makes more than a family physician in Canada

regarding the lack of interest for the sport... well.. salt lake city didn't help.... and then nobody understood COP... the ISU has a lot to do here to develop its market...

1) make all events accessible online (free)
2) educate : we need to understand the rules to appreciate details in scoring
3) make a more balanced COP which really encourages the all-around skater
4) penalize more for falls (the public doesn't like falls and never understands why a skater can fall and win olympics)
5)organize "last chance competitions" for instance top 4 or 5 qualify for GPF but another event gives a chance to the skaters who medaled in one event to compete for the final spots... (that would be great for fans all around as 1) they like that sort of drama 2) it helps a skater who did well but only had one event 3) it gives a last chance to a skater who didn't qualify directly....

I am not going to elaborate further as it is off-topic... but I wanted to address your comment about why amateur skating is not as popular as it used to be.... the ISU is greatly responsible as you mentioned for the loss of the pro competitions but it is also guilty for not fixing the situation.... The 1990s are a long time ago... Even SLC is... Many fans now have never dealt with 6.0 .... but there are still issues.... and those need to be addressed.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa was always gracious, even in struggle.

I get why people are put off my Jason's bubbly personality. I think he's your typical grade A extrovert. He just gets so hyped up being around and performing for so many people, which is when we all see him the most. The exuberance is probably toned down when he's in more one-to-one settings.

Here's my take on that. I wouldn't be able to spend three minutes with "public persona" Jason. He would be too annoying for me to tolerate. I am too old and cranky.

But you know what? I don't have to. I'm not his friend; we have no personal relationship at all.

He interests me in one regard. His skating. That's it. Nothing else.

When he's in the K&C carrying on, I simply go get a drink or take a bathroom break. I don't need to see his scores. We have protocols for that.

His LP is sublime. That's what I care about. It's the best program he's ever done, and I think the best LP choreography and style and tone I've seen in years. His SP I don't like, but different strokes for different folks.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The ISU made a concerted effort in the late 1990s to seize control pver all skating competitions. This killed professional skating (in the U,S. at least). (

I did not know this. What did they do to kill it?