2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Mens FS

enzet

On the Ice
I wish I could see what other see in Jason. But I can't which is strange because I love the more artistic skaters. I just don't get moved by him. It just falls flat for me.

I'm not following Jason too closely, but there were times when I found his skating utterly brilliant. His musicality was so exquisite that even though I really like the big tricks, I was like "who needs the jumps when you can skate like that" (and I would usually never say something like that).
However, he left me quite cold at this competition. Maybe it's just because his programs this seasoon do nothing for me, as I don't think his skating has regressed in any way.

This got me thinking about how much a program can actually influence one's perception of a skater. I saw the scores first and I expected to really enjoy his performances based on what I had previosly seen of him, but not really.
Also, I love how flexible he is and I appreciate the positions he can hit thanks to that, but I found the choreo a bit repetitive at times and even caught myself wondering how many times is he going to kick himself in the face.

I have similar feelings about Misha Ge, there were time I really "got" him and found his interpretation phenomenal, but the last two season or so, while I can still see his qualities, he doesn't really draw me in his performances quite like before and I don't care about his programs.

da96103

Record Breaker
Oh, they didn't comment on this competition. It's a grudge that for some reason built up during the last few years. He was extremely smiley after one not so good skate in the KnC a few years ago, and they just couldn't grasp why. And they are of the opinion that he is very overscored in PCS.

It does seemed incongruent to smile if you did badly. It could even come across as being apathetic towards your own performance.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Oh, they didn't comment on this competition. It's a grudge that for some reason built up during the last few years. He was extremely smiley after one not so good skate in the KnC a few years ago, and they just couldn't grasp why. And they are of the opinion that he is very overscored in PCS.

But it's just his personality. He's just that smiley all the time. That's why I love him. How can you think badly of a happy person!?

And Jason is definitely not overscored in PCS, though if he wasn't from the USA he sadly would likely not get the kind of scores he gets.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
But it's just his personality. He's just that smiley all the time. That's why I love him. How can you think badly of a happy person!?

And Jason is definitely not overscored in PCS, though if he wasn't from the USA he sadly would likely not get the kind of scores he gets.

Don't shoot the messenger xeyra. This is not my opinion, this is what they said.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

It probably comes off a little over the top and corny, artificial. Most people have more than one emotion. In my experience people from countries like Germany, Russia, etc. think it's fine to smile when you have a reason to smile, but wearing a plastered-on grin 24 hours a day is suspect. I am American but I tend to agree.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexander - As I said earlier -- I'm impressed that he made himself part of the conversation. He has sort of a low-rep coach and a few years ago he seem to be languishing as a junior, so getting a medal on your first GP is quite impressive! Also his jumps are HUGE and powerful. He does have to work on everything else though..he doesn't have much upper body movement and basically kind of just puts an arm here and there to interpret the music.

I would hardly say he was "languishing" as a junior - he racked up plenty of JGP medals and was 3rd at Junior Worlds. Just because Dima managed to beat him a few times (rightfully) does not mean he was any worse off or being ignored. Plus Sokolovskaya is basically Buyanova's lap dog at CSKA - he's not from some no-name school. I am sure he will be favored over Goncharenko's men if he can rack up points with his soulless, empty, rough skating just as long as he keeps landing the jumps. Nothing else matters any more.

concorde

Medalist
I think you need to have both upper limbs on the ice at the same time. On slow mo, the right hand left the ice before the left hand touched the ice.

I think it was more that his butt did not touch the ice. I think those used to be called as a fall but in the last couple of years, those "near misses" are no longer viewed as falls.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think you need to have both upper limbs on the ice at the same time. On slow mo, the right hand left the ice before the left hand touched the ice.

That doesn't exist in the rules though? What does exist is majority weight transfer. Your tush doesn't have to hit the ice either, it's just weight transfer.

A Fall is defined as loss of control by a Skater with the result that the majority
of his/her own body weight is on the ice supported by any other part of the
body other than the blades e.g. hand(s), knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part
of the arm. For every Fall there shall be a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph
1.n).

That was a fall per ^^.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shoma on winning the Gold, so proud of him! I know he was breaking in new
boots which can be a problem, a few mistakes but overall good job. Love the way Shoma
glides on the ice.

Jason good for him for putting the quad in his FS, he will get it. Gorgeous well skated program and
well earned Silver Medal!

Also Congrats to Alexander for winning the Bronze. I don't know to much about him but how exciting to have a new face
on the podium!

Poor Patrick. I hope he bounces back for NHK.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats to Shoma on winning the Gold, so proud of him! I know he was breaking in new
boots
which can be a problem, a few mistakes but overall good job. Love the way Shoma
glides on the ice.

Wow, I totally forgot about his boot problems. It makes this victory even sweeter. I hope these boots will be perfect at the Olympics!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Could someone please explain to me how this

https://youtu.be/rIgUTS-YlP8?t=219

is not a fall? It is more than obviously full weight transfer.

From what I understand, he needs to have the majority of his body weight supported by a body part that isn't the blade. Slowing the video down, he supports himself with one hand and then the other as he turns out. If he had both hands supporting himself, or one hand and one knee, then it would counted as a fall. That seems to be the ruling on that from what I can gather.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would hardly say he was "languishing" as a junior - he racked up plenty of JGP medals and was 3rd at Junior Worlds. Just because Dima managed to beat him a few times (rightfully) does not mean he was any worse off or being ignored. Plus Sokolovskaya is basically Buyanova's lap dog at CSKA - he's not from some no-name school. I am sure he will be favored over Goncharenko's men if he can rack up points with his soulless, empty, rough skating just as long as he keeps landing the jumps. Nothing else matters any more.

I mean a few years ago. It seemed he was perpetually stuck as a junior with so-so results (and yes jgp medals, but it took several trips to jr worlds to medal) and I remember comments where people said he was doomed cause he had that coach. I didn't realize she was at CSKA.

As I said there's a lot to work on (and there's a lot!), but he did what he needed to do here.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
From what I understand, he needs to have the majority of his body weight supported by a body part that isn't the blade. Slowing the video down, he supports himself with one hand and then the other as he turns out. If he had both hands supporting himself, or one hand and one knee, then it would counted as a fall. That seems to be the ruling on that from what I can gather.

Again, that is not what the rules say though. If at any point any other part of the body other than the blades is holding the majority of your weight, that is a fall.

There is literally nothing in them that says all this - if it is both hands, hand and knee, buttocks. Supporting himself with one hand, a majority weight transfer to it, is indeed a fall.

binky

Rinkside
for me the the best was brezina. how wonderful was that!
his program achieved the highest level of feeling. that is the progam I want to see again

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, I totally forgot about his boot problems. It makes this victory even sweeter. I hope these boots will be perfect at the Olympics!

He definitely had something going on. During practices, all of a sudden out of nowhere, he would have a weird stumble. And he kept bouncing lightly on his right foot either like he was testing his boot or his ankle or foot or who knows what.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am not shooting the messenger here, just commenting;now I am not so sad that I have lost almost all German spoken language comprehension, since I would not be very happy at those comments :noshake:

I understand, although obviously disagree, if someone says they don’t like Jason’s skates. But they don’t like his smile????:confused:

Jason’s smile is not plastered on, fake, or 24/7. Those of us who follow him can tell when he is frustrated or not happy with his performance. He does smile through the frustration, he always acknowledges his fans with happiness no matter how he skated. For me, that is a sign of maturity and an attribute I admire.

I am a miserable old cuss myself:devil:Which is not a sign of maturity or “keeping it real” or anything else. Jason’s optimism and ability to smile and maintain his equilibrium no matter the obstacle is just his disposition. It has Jackson B. Squat to do with being an American (I’m a miserable American old cuss, we’re a dime a dozen:laugh:), it has to do with being Jason.

And it is a trait I have come to greatly appreciate :clap: