2017 GPF Men's FS | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's FS

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Literally every quad from Shoma here looked underrotated. This was not an impressive performance, I hate what all of these quad attempts have done to his skating.

The biggest takeaway from this GPF - Yuzuru Hanyu deserves to win the Olympics and it's going to be a sad competition if he doesn't.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Was Javi injured this season. It seems strange that we're not even mentioning his name.

yude

Record Breaker
Oda's comments watching replay of Adam's FS

(sorry, no link)

Shindo (TV asahi): The theme is the bird. The bird spreds his wings and closes them in the end, and here comes the jump

Oda: 4Lz, as soon as he took of, the axis was leaned like this. Without straight and beautiful axis, it is difficult to execute the quad. This is going to be counted as 3Lz. This combo (3F3Lo) after the fall. Unless you land the first jump in 100% form, it is hard to connect it to 3Lo, but he landed it beautifully including the second jump of 3Lo, it was great. (watching 3A2T) This second jump is a little underrotated, so he will have the deduction from BV and GOE.

Shindo: He had a underrotated jump which had 70% of BV. And 4Lz at the beginning of the program for example, its BV is 13.6, but if it is judged as a triple jump, there will be only 6 points. Therefore, there is possibility that in terms of TES, he won't be able to have the scores we are expecting from seeing this performance. But still, he fascinated the audience.

Oda: He fell hard on the first jump, but after that he didn't collapse on the expression and he built up his own performance up to here, it was amazing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sometimes I feel like you live in an alternate timeline from the rest of us...;) Haven't you been watching the entire GP? :scratch2:

Actually no, I haven't. It's Nutcracker time here in Fresno and with several of my former students involved, I've been busy every weekend since Halloween. I figured that since I'm going to Nationals this year that I'd wait until then to get heavily involved this season. I'm very excited for Europeans as there are so many good Russians that I think there will be some very disappointed skaters who will just miss the Olympic Team.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Was Javi injured this season. It seems strange that we're not even mentioning his name.

Javi had stomach problems at his 1st GP, thus finishing poorly there. He won his 2nd GP.
He was 2nd alternate after Jason Brown. Jason Brown replaced Boyang Jin and nobody else was injured so Javi didnt go GP finals

yude

Record Breaker
Oda's comments watching replay of Jason's FS

(sorry, no link)

Oda: 3F, he landed beautifully. He had no quad and fell on 3A, so it is not easy for him to get high TES. But the expressions like this, he is really using his whole body. By using the whole body, there will be shake on the body core, and it is difficult to skate with paying attention to it. So he is evaluated highly by the judges for that. And his steps especially, level 4 is not enough, I want to give him level 5. He was skating big indeed.

Shindo (TV asahi): Looking at PCS, he was almost on a par with Chen and Uno in SP.

viennaskater

Medalist
I think Kolyada with two falls and a pop and a 3A error didn't exactly deserve the win. He also fell in the SP (3 falls and a pop = 4 major errors) so I don't think he should have won overall.

And as mentioned, I do consider his FS music a bit tacky personally, not that it should prevent someone from scoring well per se (see T/M). But I much prefer Uno and Chen's programs.

The judges were also generous with Kolyada's PCS. Gotta love Kolyada getting a PCs personal best with two falls and a pop; errors on half his jumping passes. :rolleye:

I do wish Kolyada would cheer up - sick of seeing his miserable face. He didn't used to be like that. He should be PLEASED that he is where he is.

lavender

Record Breaker
I guess one day Chen will actually win a long program internationally. I don't mind someone winning on the short but not this often...bored.

lavender

Record Breaker
To me, when you add shoma and nathan's both performances it's crazy that shoma didn't win. This week he had better components.
I have to say it was hilarious seeing Kolyada's Elvis cheesefest between two super serious programs.

Huh, where? As much as I think he should have won (and would have if not for that time deduction), his interpretation was non-existent today.

I have to say, I think this result is better for Nathan and shoma than if they were swapped. Nathan likes to be on top, and shoma seems to prefer being an underdog. I am glad they are not pushing for perfect programs yet.

Why are his programs always so tacky. I wonder if he actually likes his programs.

cell

On the Ice
Why are his programs always so tacky. I wonder if he actually likes his programs.

The Elvis "program" is the worst thing I've seen in a long time. No attempt at interpretation (mind you that I also hate the music, but there is zero attempt). His packaging is so bad as well (ugly costumes).

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight

He honestly does not seem to care for the long apart from the fact that it is a capable material for him to get points. And that's on him I think. I don't know what happens behind the scene but if a 22 year old wants a long that he likes and cared to involve himself in the program crafting he'd probably have something better than this. Unless he's a secret Elvis fanatic and always dreamt to skate to that at the Olympics.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I liked Kolyada's tacky SP from his previous season, but this year both SP & LP leave me cold.

I think his SP is not bad, but something is missing. As he focuses on jumps this season, his programs lose his usual charm. That's a pity, but not even very top skaters can pull off their programs both in technical and artistic aspect. What leaves me cold about his skating is the Russian fed's blatant pushing towards him in the Olympic season. I cheered for him, but was surprised by his inflated PCS scores at Cup of Russia despite his flawed jumps and presentation.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The Elvis "program" is the worst thing I've seen in a long time. No attempt at interpretation (mind you that I also hate the music, but there is zero attempt). His packaging is so bad as well (ugly costumes).

I think it would be a good program if he actually looked enthusiastic while doing it, like Nic Nadeau.

viennaskater

Medalist
What leaves me cold about his skating is the Russian fed's blatant pushing towards him in the Olympic season. I cheered for him, but was surprised by his inflated PCS scores at Cup of Russia despite his flawed jumps and presentation.

... while Voronov will probably get ignored, once again.