2017 Italian Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

2017 Italian Figure Skating Championships

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really looking forward to the Junior and Senior Ladeis competitions in particular.

Can't wait to see how Alessia Tornaghi has progressed in the past year, and see if she can go one better and win the Junior title this year. I've said it many times in the past year, but this girl is going to be the next big thing to come out of Italy. And her Russian background can only help.

And I can't wait to see Elisabetta Leccardi, because I have taken a real liking to her over the past couple of seasons. (Still can't believe she was born this side of the Millenium!)

Moving to the seniors, and I am totally intrigued to see what happens. Carolina Kostner back and on form, winning her first competition. Nikol Gosviani a proper entry instead of a guest skater. Roberta Rodegheiro being disappointing so far this season. Giada Russo doing well in the few Senior B's she has done... except that they were ones with few big name entries. Reigning Junior champion Lucrezia Gennarro moving up to Seniors. The enigma of which Micol Cristini is going to show up (I have my theories about her...)

I noticed a couple of significant names missing. Has Sara Falotico realised that coming back after nearly 10 years away was too much and retired again? And what about Carol Bressanutti? Is she injured? I hope she hasn't retired!

CaroLiza_fan

deneb

On the Ice
I noticed a couple of significant names missing. Has Sara Falotico realised that coming back after nearly 10 years away was too much and retired again? And what about Carol Bressanutti? Is she injured? I hope she hasn't retired!
Not sure about Sara but Carol retired.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not sure about Sara but Carol retired.

I had a bad feeling that you were going to say that. I liked Carol. Such a shame that her final Nationals went so badly. Because she was far better than that.

Thanks for the info.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Italians is always so suprising. How come Seniors compete Wednesday & Thursday and Juniors on Friday & Saturday? :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Italians is always so suprising. How come Seniors compete Wednesday & Thursday and Juniors on Friday & Saturday? :eek:

Maybe they do it this way so that the Juniors miss less school?

Makes sense when you think of it like that. But, the downside is that it means less spectators for the Seniors.

But, the spectators that can only come at the weekend won't miss out on entertainment, because the Junior Ladies is going to be a great competition! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Maybe they do it this way so that the Juniors miss less school?

Makes sense when you think of it like that. But, the downside is that it means less spectators for the Seniors.

But, the spectators that can only come at the weekend won't miss out on entertainment, because the Junior Ladies is going to be a great competition! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

I doubt they though of it that way :laugh: And I kind of doubt Juniors will attend many classes when they need to prepare for important competitions... My only favourite Junior lady compete at seniors this season, based on entries. She skates last, fortunately for me, it means I might be on time at home to watch her!

Nirti

Medalist
What happened to the junior dance team Ghislandi/Ortenzi? They were promising last season and no news this season...

deneb

On the Ice
What happened to the junior dance team Ghislandi/Ortenzi? They were promising last season and no news this season...
There were rumors about their split at the end of last season. No official news though.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice

Why not? :scratch2: Probably this is the only way that the competition can get visibility in the Italian media:
weekends are reserved for football (calcio) and pre-match blabla :biggrin: day.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Does anyone know what kind of form Gosviani is in? If she skates well enough to qualify for Euros, does she actually have the minimum scores? I don't know when she last competed. Being honest I think top 2 could be a push.

It will be interesting to see who wins the pairs title. I really like DM/G's short programme, it's probably one of my favourites this year. Surprising to see their is only 3 Ice Dance teams entered, I assumed the Italian team was deeper than that.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alessa Tornaghi caught my eye on last year's SP. Hopefully she's improved her FS and can do a few more triples. I think she was technically novice last year competing as a junior. :yay:

Any info on her or videos from competitions this year??

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Why not? :scratch2: Probably this is the only way that the competition can get visibility in the Italian media:
weekends are reserved for football (calcio) and pre-match blabla :biggrin: day.

I know Football is Calcio in Italian ;) I'm a Football fan also, but I do get angry when there is almost zero coverage of FS because of Football. Why can't I have both? :scowl: Btw. I know Serie A (I don't know how it is with lower divisions) starts usually on Saturday, so they could have some seniors on Friday, I think more would come to watch than o Wednesday.

Though I'm not complaining, I should be able to watch some on Thursday without overlaping with Four Nationals thanks to that schedule:)

Nirti

Medalist
Does anyone know what kind of form Gosviani is in? If she skates well enough to qualify for Euros, does she actually have the minimum scores? I don't know when she last competed. Being honest I think top 2 could be a push.

She doesn't have the scores for Euros... I fear she'll soon join team Shelepen/Ovcharova :frown:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does Italy have 1 or 2 spots for Ladies for World's? Its too bad for Roberta if its only 1...

According to the oracle that is Wikipedia, Italy doesn't have any additional slots in Ladies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

And it's not too bad for Roberta. The past couple of years she has made the most of the opportunities presented by Carolina, Valentina and Francesca being out of the picture. Had any of them been around, she would never have got those opportunities.

So, I think Roberta should be pretty happy to have had those couple of years as the top Italian Ladies skater on the international scene (even though she didn't manage to win Nationals).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
According to the oracle that is Wikipedia, Italy doesn't have any additional slots in Ladies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

And it's not too bad for Roberta. The past couple of years she has made the most of the opportunities presented by Carolina, Valentina and Francesca being out of the picture. Had any of them been around, she would never have got those opportunities.

So, I think Roberta should be pretty happy to have had those couple of years as the top Italian Ladies skater on the international scene (even though she didn't manage to win Nationals).

CaroLiza_fan
Well she's at least in line for the Olympics next year if Carolina can manage to get them 2 spots for next year. I imagine that she would retire afterwards.

On the other hand, I'm glad that Italy has two spots for Pairs, as I love both of their top pairs teams. They are so different but somehow pretty equally matched technically, and I'm glad that they will both get to Worlds.

rosy14

Final Flight
I doubt they though of it that way :laugh: And I kind of doubt Juniors will attend many classes when they need to prepare for important competitions... My only favourite Junior lady compete at seniors this season, based on entries. She skates last, fortunately for me, it means I might be on time at home to watch her!

Oh, you don't know how Italian teachers and professors at school react, when their pupils and students miss some (boring) lessons and classes to go and compete ! You Americans and Canadians can't absolutely figure out. A boy or girl risk losing the entire year at school !
I have personal experience with my brothers and then my daughter. Perhaps if you're going to Olympics...but for Nationals ? in so a minor sport ? No way !
But then if you become a top football player, ah, then they keep reminding you they were your teachers, and please, can you provide us with tickets for Champions' League Finale in Milan ?