2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Nathan was awesome!! If he can stay healthy, he is going to have an incredible career. He could be the most successful American man ever! He is also sexy as hell. He looks taller than 5'5" too.

I was impressed with Andrew, Grant, and Ross as well. The future of US men's skating is very bright indeed, even if the current state is a bit underwhelming.

Last edited:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
If Nathan skates clean in theSP, only Hanyu can beat him. Others don't have enough TES to compensate for PCS. Just math. Not a fantasy.

That's great, and you may be correct, but you don't get the World medals after the Short Program. Also, they may not be able to beat him in the Short, but Fernandez and Shoma will probably be close, and anything can happen in the Free.

This is all hypothetical of course. We rarely see a competition now that is completely mistake free by all of the top guys.

Edit: Also, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here. I am loving that the US men has someone like Nathan. I hope he has a long, long career, not only because he's a good skater, but because it pushes everyone else in the American field, and it makes it easier for the American men to consistently hold on to three spots.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan was awesome!! If he can stay healthy, he is going to have an incredible career. He could be the most successful American man ever! He is also sexy as hell. He looks taller than 5'5" too.

I was impressed with Andrew, Grant, and Ross as well. The future of US men's skating is very bright indeed, even if the current state is a bit underwhelming.

Lots of talented skaters from just a couple years ago have left the sport prematurely for one reason or another so the depth from 2015 isn't the same now. Josh had to retire and Richard is sitting out plus Adam is injured.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I thought it was really telling that all of the cleanly landed quads last night were done by teenagers: Nathan, Vincent, Emmanuel, and Tomoki. Andrew missed his but had been doing them well in practice. Clearly the youngsters and their coaches have gotten the message and are attempting quads now even in the short program.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Give the guy a break. He can't up his technical ability the way people want right now if he is recovering from a stress fracture. He only just started praticing the 3A like a week ago.

He has the 8th highest SB at the moment. People sure have short memories. This is obviously snot a 100 percent Jason.

Also if people thinks he is trying to get by via politics then why the heck is he here? He obviously wants to earn the spot for whatever competition on the ice. He can't control how the committee reacts.

Agree completely. And he was making good progress on his quad before the injury. Anyone who has personally been involved in competitive sports at a high level understands the frustration involved and that it just takes time to get back to pre-injury form. Jason's SP performance showed that he was right on the mark in assessing his recovery at about 80 percent. I think he did the very best he could given the lost training time and where he is right now, and I applaud his effort. I still found it beautiful and moving despite the flaws.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm getting sooooooooooooooo tired of hearing and reading that Jason's scores are inflated. How many different panels of judges have judged him over the past couple of years. Are they all blind and stupid? Do none of them know the rules or how to judge? Let's be real here! If you don't like a skater and prefer another skater, knocking the one you don't like doesn't make the one you DO like look better! Are all these judges (must be over 100 by now if not 200) incompetent compared to some of the readers here? And I don't think "clearly the coaches have gotten the message" with their teenagers about needing and attempting quads. I think the teenagers haven't screwed up their hips and their legs and their ankles trying these damnable quads over and over and over for years. The pressure on their bodies of landing these jumps is horrific. I hate to say this but I will be very surprised if Nathan and some of the others skate another 2-3 years without serious injury. A body can only take so much and when you're small or slight to start with, there really isn't much to cushion that pressure and torque. Injuries are just going to keep piling up - sadly.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't understand. Jackie said he practiced so well this morning. Hit everything. What happened? Where did his confidence go? What did the skating gods do to him?

I feel so bad for Max (and Karne):sad21: It's such a shame, I think the new program has great potential and really suits him, and I love his costume.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
That's great, and you may be correct, but you don't get the World medals after the Short Program. Also, they may not be able to beat him in the Short, but Fernandez and Shoma will probably be close, and anything can happen in the Free.

Yes, anything can happen in the free. However, Nathan without push and reputation beat a clean Shoma with 3 quads 2 3As in the LP. With push, and coming into the free in 2nd place, it is really impossible for a clean Shoma to beat a clean Nathan.
Same story with Fernandez. I think an absolute perfect Fernandez with 3 quads will beat a clean Nathan with 4 quads, but barely. If Nathan goes for 5 quads, Fernandez has no chance.

That's why I said hypothetically speaking, a clean Nathan will get silver regardless of others. Probably gold.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
btw, Ross is so old school, 1980s throw back with that sp. It's not exciting, it's not new. Sorry, but at this point, if you don't put a quad in the SP, your name shouldn't be considered for the world team.

Why would anyone want you there to place 7 or 8 or 9 if skated perfectly and hoping a bunch of guys falter on their quads?

No quads in the SP, even if you are 2nd or 3rd or 4th, you aren't getting the second spot. Let's make figure skating a real sport. Run it like gymnastic, you don't get difficult base value, you don't get to go.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm getting sooooooooooooooo tired of hearing and reading that Jason's scores are inflated. How many different panels of judges have judged him over the past couple of years. Are they all blind and stupid? Do none of them know the rules or how to judge?

He deserves his scores when he's clean. The problem is the panel of judges award him higher and higher PCS even when he's not clean. There's no way he can beat Nathan in PCS in any panels the way they skated last night except for the US. So yes, they are blind and stupid.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What did I say contradict what you just posted? I said no panels would put him above Nathan with the way they skated last night. Nathan fell on the lutz, stumbled on the 3A, was very lackluster in your example. When both make mistakes, yes, Jason's PCS should be higher.

Just pointing out that Jason still gets high PCS even when he makes mistakes, which isn't in line with the idea that international judges dock him for mistakes.

And honestly they are practically tied in PCS here. He had a 25 point lead.

Last edited:

Sloopy

On the Ice

Nathan and I were on the escalator together early Tuesday morning and I would agree that he is taller than 5'5". I'm 5'4" and he looked at least 2-3 inches taller. It could be the hair though.😆 He is definitely a looker...deep voice and quite sexy for a 17yo.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just pointing out that Jason still gets high PCS even when he makes mistakes, which isn't in line with the idea that international judges dock him for mistakes.

And honestly they are practically tied in PCS here. He had a 25 point lead.

I think we're in a weird area when we talk about international judging and PCS. As a Patrick Chan super fan, I have on more than one occasion, seen an international panel give him PCS numbers that some people think are inflated. I of course, never feel that way and I imagine there are some Judges who just love everything that Jason does. Rohene has become so well respected that I imagine Jason gets a PCS bump just for having his name on his program. It may sound unfair but, I promise you it happens.

Last edited:

skatinggold

On the Ice
I hope the USFSA is going to send Nathan and Vincent. Just saw rockerskatings practice report, Vincent is doing the quad lutz and 2 quad sals. I wish the USFSA will stop promoting people who can't even land one clean quad. These skater without quads are going nowhere near the podium. Even with their inflated PCS. Politics play a large role in PCS, promote and push for higher PCS for those Who could be on the podium.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think we're in a weird area when we talk about international judging and PCS. As a Patrick Chan super fan, I have on more than one occasion, seen an international panel give him PCS numbers that some people think are inflated. I of course, never feel that way and I imagine there are some Judges who just love everything that Jason does. Rohene has become so well respected that I imagine Jason gets a PCS bump just for having his on his program. It may sound unfair but, I promise you it happens.

Really? Rohene choreography other skaters programs, like Courtney Hicks, and I don't see them getting a PCS bump.

I hope the USFSA is going to send Nathan and Vincent. Just saw rockerskatings practice report, Vincent is doing the quad lutz and 2 quad sals. I wish the USFSA will stop promoting people who can't even land one clean quad. These skater without quads are going nowhere near the podium. Even with their inflated PCS. Politics play a large role in PCS, promote and push for higher PCS for those Who could be on the podium.

They will send Vincent if he executes his planned content. What is done in practice and what is done in competition are not one in the same, as we have seen from other skaters.

Last edited: