2018–19 Russian JGP Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018–19 Russian JGP Team

hanca

Record Breaker
Does anyone know when will Russia publish their national team? I thought it was always at the end of May? And often we also get some info about transfers and split pairs/dance couple and newly created pairs/dance couples. Come on, Russia, hurry up!!! :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junior boys (13-21 yrs):

Main: Danielian, Savosin, Ignatov, Murashov
Reserve: Semenenko, Vetlugin, Gumennik

Boys (11-19 yrs):

Main: Rukhin
Reserve: Yakovlev, (Samsonov and Kutovoi are age ineligible for JGP)

Coaching changes: Gumennik has added Sezganov to his team, Kutovoi and Yakovlev has transferred to Buyanova/Selitskaya.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junior girls (13-21 yrs):

Main: Vasilieva, Gubanova, Kostornaya, Panenkova, Samodurova, Trusova
Reserve: Gulyakova, Kostyuk, Mikhailova

Girls (11-19):

Main: Tarakanova, Tarusina, Kanysheva
Reserve: Sinitsina, Shcherbakova, Chistyakova

Coaches changes: Vasilieva to Davydov, Gubanova to Buyanova, Gulyakova to Mishin/Gachinsky, Mikhailova to Plushenko/Volkov.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junior pairs (12-21 yrs):

Main: Kostiukovich/Ialin, Mishina/Galiamov, Akhantieva/Kolesov, Kvartalova/Sviatchenko, Panfilova/Rylov, Poluianova/Sopot
Reserve: Atakhanova/Volodin

Coaching changes: P/S has added Stanislav Morozov to their team.

Junior dance (12-21 yrs):

Main: Kuts/Mikhailov, Ushakova/Nekrasov, Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov, Shevchenko/Eremenko, (Shpilevaya/Smirnov are age ineligible for JGP)
Reserve: Konkina/Vakhnov, Lazareva/Prokofiev

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
So far I'm thinking it should go like this:
week 1: Trusova, Vasilieva
week 2: Tarakanova, Kanysheva
week 3: Kostornaya, Vasilieva
week 4: Shcherbakova, Kanysheva
week 5: Trusova, Tarusina
week 6: Tarakanova, Shcherbakova
week 7: Kostornaya, Tarusina
where Samodurova moves up to do CS events, Gubanova moves up and gets the Rostelecom host spot and a challenger or two, and Panenkova gets 2 GPs

hanca

Record Breaker
So far I'm thinking it should go like this:
week 1: Trusova, Vasilieva
week 2: Tarakanova, Kanysheva
week 3: Kostornaya, Vasilieva
week 4: Shcherbakova, Kanysheva
week 5: Trusova, Tarusina
week 6: Tarakanova, Shcherbakova
week 7: Kostornaya, Tarusina
where Samodurova moves up to do CS events, Gubanova moves up and gets the Rostelecom host spot and a challenger or two, and Panenkova gets 2 GPs

Not going to happen. If week one will be Trusova and Vasilieva, Vasilieva will finish second because it is unlikely that she will beat Trusova, and therefore she won’t get second JGP. Same as Guliakova didn’t get second event last season when she placed second in her first event.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
But maybe they've learned that it's better to give enough girls 2 spots to max out the final? or is that overestimating them? :biggrin:
because if you're going to keep introducing skaters but not give 6 both spots then that's just dumb -- do you want to dominate the final or not??

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But maybe they've learned that it's better to give enough girls 2 spots to max out the final? or is that overestimating them? :biggrin:
because if you're going to keep introducing skaters but not give 6 both spots then that's just dumb -- do you want to dominate the final or not??

I do think it would be smart to make sure six girls get two spots. If someone did bad in their first one, it would still be possible for them to not get a 2nd. Six girls with 2 spots + two girls with 1.

If someone gets a silver with a strong score, I'd hope to see them get 2nd spot. Now if it's 3rd or 4th with a weak score, then I get not giving them a 2nd.

hanca

Record Breaker
I do think it would be smart to make sure six girls get two spots. If someone did bad in their first one, it would still be possible for them to not get a 2nd. Six girls with 2 spots + two girls with 1.

If someone gets a silver with a strong score, I'd hope to see them get 2nd spot. Now if it's 3rd or 4th with a weak score, then I get not giving them a 2nd.
I don’t think to Russian federation it matters that much whether six junior ladies will have two events or not. It doesn’t really matter if they will have five or six ladies in JGPF. Being JGP medallist counts for something, but being fifth or sixth at JGPF doesn’t really matter that much. So as long as they have three strongest ladies that could win a medal at JGPF, plus maybe one spare just in case one get injured or doesn’t deliver, the rest of ladies can have only one event because it doesn’t change anything.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t think to Russian federation it matters that much whether six junior ladies will have two events or not. It doesn’t really matter if they will have five or six ladies in JGPF. Being JGP medallist counts for something, but being fifth or sixth at JGPF doesn’t really matter that much. So as long as they have three strongest ladies that could win a medal at JGPF, plus maybe one spare just in case one get injured or doesn’t deliver, the rest of ladies can have only one event because it doesn’t change anything.

I take your point. Still, I think it would be good if a silver with a good score still got you a 2nd spot. Look at someone like Alena K this past season. She won her 1st event and then got 2nd with still a pretty good score. What if the order of the two events had been reversed? It would have been a shame if she wouldn't have been at the JGPF.

I get that it happens because Russia is so deep, but if someone does really well with a great score, but for example Sasha is also at their first event so they get 2nd, I'd hope to see them still get a second event.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker

I think it will still mean something and can prove that they are dominating which might make them able to have a case for say 12 skaters at JGPF and GPF or a couple extra spots at JWC (you never know, I will never stop hoping)

I think it matters a lot to make it into the JGPF -- even if you place low there -- than just having one JGP medal, especially if it's in a weaker field since it won't make you look as strong. To show how strong their ladies are, they should really try to control the entire JGPF and they can certainly do it! (especially if Kihira moves up) But they won't be able to if they keep on splitting assignments until less than 6 get second assignments

Country
Russia
Girls of National Team, some info.
In order of Season Best of inner Junior competitions (except StPetersburg local competitions - not comparable scores because of overscoring).

Kostornaya - inner 216.70, international 207.39, 2nd at JGP Final, JrNats, JrWorlds, 3rd at SrNats
Trusova - inner 212.09, international 225.52, won all except Final of Russian Cup (2nd below Shcherbakova) and 5th Event of Russian Cup (2nd below Tarakanova)
Shcherbakova - inner 210.85, international none, 1st at Final of Russian Cup, 5th at Nats Elder Age
Samodurova - inner 209.86, international 192.19, 6th at JGP Final
Tarakanova - inner 207.02, international 199.64, 3rd JGP Final, 5th Final of Russian Cup
Gubanova - inner 206.29, international 189.31, 4th at JrNats, 2nd at Final of Russian Cup
Sinitsina - inner 204.36, international none, 2nd at Final of Russian Cup and Nats Elder Age
Gulyakova - inner 202.98, international 181.43, 5th at Final of Russian Cup
Kostyuk - inner 202.67, international none, 4th at Final of Russian Cup and Nats Elder Age
Panenkova - inner 201.48, international 196.55, 5th at JGP Final and JrNats, 3rd at Final of Russian Cup
Kanysheva - inner 195.89, international none, 1st at Nats Younger Age, 3rd at Nats Elder Age
Vasilieva - inner 195.52, international 169.44, 6th at JrNats and Final of Russian Cup
Tarusina - inner 194.84, international 187.84, 1st Nats Elder Age
Chistyakova - inner 186.92, international none, 6th at Nats Elder Age, 1st at Spartakiad
Mikhailova - inner 186.51, international 185.09 (both senior, she did not compete as junior previous season)

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I take your point. Still, I think it would be good if a silver with a good score still got you a 2nd spot. Look at someone like Alena K this past season. She won her 1st event and then got 2nd with still a pretty good score. What if the order of the two events had been reversed? It would have been a shame if she wouldn't have been at the JGPF.

I get that it happens because Russia is so deep, but if someone does really well with a great score, but for example Sasha is also at their first event so they get 2nd, I'd hope to see them still get a second event.
Well, you are arguing against splitting the events and giving some skaters only one event, but do you realise that in your example with Alena K you actually contradicted yourself? If they gave everyone who medalled two events, Alena K wouldn’t get her chance because Guliakova and Konstantinova would have two events... So actually I think it is fair that if someone doesn’t win, someone else gets their chance.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, you are arguing against splitting the events and giving some skaters only one event, but do you realise that in your example with Alena K you actually contradicted yourself? If they gave everyone who medalled two events, Alena K wouldn’t get her chance because Guliakova and Konstantinova would have two events... So actually I think it is fair that if someone doesn’t win, someone else gets their chance.

But I don't think Stasya should have gotten a 2nd event. I said a silver with a strong score. Stasya was 3rd with 181.98. I never said all medalists. I don't consider that a strong enough showing to get a second event.

But if some girl gets, say 197 and silver behind Sasha with 3 quads, I'd like to see them get a 2nd event.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I wanted to do a power ranking of our junior team, so here it is:
1. Trusova. This is obvious. Quads galore and all but two wins last year.
2. Kostornaya. JWC and JGPF silver, amazing artistry, 3A and 3Lz-3Lo.
3. Shcherbakova. Quads and beat Trusova last year, but kind of inconsistent as she's still recovering.
4. Tarakanova. JGPF bronze medalist, beat Trusova last year.
5. Tarusina. Extremely consistent, interesting combos, won at Elder Age.
6. Kanysheva. Consistent, did well at both Younger Age and Elder Age.
7. Sinitsyna. 3Lz-3Lo, consistent, did well at all events last year.
8. Vasilieva. 6th at Junior Nationals, now with Davydov so hopefully some more consistency.
9. Kostyuk. Great skating skills and pretty consistent jumps, didn't podium too much but 4th place at the Final and Elder Age isn't too bad.
10. Chistyakova. Pretty overscored since she's from Buyanova, not as much of a talent as the above girls but still pretty good.

Possible seniors ranking:
1. Panenkova. Worse domestic results than Gubanova but guaranteed a GP and in practice will probably get 2. Good international results and made the JGPF.
2. Gubanova. Better domestic than Panenkova, blew her JGP this year and isn't guaranteed a GP but will probably get the host spot.
3. Samodurova. Good results, consistent skater, made the JGPF, Mishin's top star (Tuktamysheva seems to be stagnating)
4. Gulyakova. Silver at her JGP but with good jumps, kind of faded after nationals.
5. Mikhailova. Good debut at Rostelecom last year but doesn't get huge scores.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
Yasmina Kaydrova is in Eteri's group and attempting quad sals... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjbxs-1DmnL/ ... Kostornaya last year got a JGP spot because of an early season competition and not because of previous season results. She had moved to Eteri in the middle of the summer last year.

Gulyakova does triple axels in practice and moved to Mishin...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yasmina Kaydrova is in Eteri's group and attempting quad sals... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjbxs-1DmnL/ ... Kostornaya last year got a JGP spot because of an early season competition and not because of previous season results. She had moved to Eteri in the middle of the summer last year.

It's a pretty bad attempt. It's probably less rotated than even Berestovskaya's was and would be a downgrade. I really don't see anything in Kadyrova but I guess she still is reasonably young and she can perhaps get the quad in a better state eventually... I wouldn't hold my breath, however.

hanca

Record Breaker

Guliakova was doing trip,e axel already before last season. It won’t be any helpful to be able to do them, unless she deides to actually put it in the program. Until I see it, don’t count your chicken.