2018-19 Coaching Changes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Coaching Changes

lurkz2

On the Ice
umm raf already had skaters like mao and jeff 10 years ago..

I meant Honda and Lim seem to be Raf's highest profile young-ish students since Mao and Jeff 10 years ago. Except for Nathan, doesn't he get the others later in their careers, like Ashley, Adam and even Brezina?

blackey

On the Ice
I meant Honda and Lim seem to be Raf's highest profile young-ish students since Mao and Jeff 10 years ago. Except for Nathan, doesn't he get the others later in their careers, like Ashley, Adam and even Brezina?

I tend to think this generation of Japanese and Korea skaters are much more motivated to train oversea at young age, also they really get unprecedented numbers of talented skaters. We have Hanyu moved to Orser at 17, Shimada moved to Lambiel at 16, and now Marin move to Raf at 15. And all of the Korea young skaters are moving oversea at 15/16. There are only these many top coaches in the world, so I'd say training oversea is what's "in fashion".

Hollymolly

Medalist
And all of the Korea young skaters are moving oversea at 15/16. There are only these many top coaches in the world, so I'd say training oversea is what's "in fashion".

Case of korea young skaters seems to be differnet. Korea’s coaching system is very backward comparing with other countries(like japan, USA, canda...) Still, there was no rink for the figureskaters and coaches only focuse on jumps. So,for korean skaters, it is not fashion..😂

blackey

On the Ice
Case of korea young skaters seems to be differnet. Korea’s coaching system is very backward comparing with other countries(like japan, USA, canda...) Still, there was no rink for the figureskaters and coaches only focuse on jumps. So,for korean skaters, it is not fashion..😂

Well, by fashion I mostly mean there are more people doing it than ever, despite the reason behind.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Well, by fashion I mostly mean there are more people doing it than ever, despite the reason behind.

I'm sure he is gathering a new group of athletes who are attracted to the unique form of success he has had with Nathan. But I would say, he had recently had quite an influx of skaters after Adam started landing his triple axel and, of course, Ashley's silver medal. Between Brezina, Vivian Le, Amy Lin, Roman, Mariah, Ashley, Adam, and Nathan (I know I'm forgetting at least one more lady), he's been sitting with a lot of athletes over the past couple seasons.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
And in the meantime, coaches won't refuse much from the Chinese fed... Beijing 2022 calling.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
There's a bit of additional info on Boyang Jin though:
"Q: Did they say he’s going to be there as a regular student or it’s just summer camp?
A: No details were given, but if he goes, his current coach will be there as well. Zhao used the word “work with” instead of “train under” like he used when talking about the ladies, so in Chinese context it does not sound very regular to me."
Umm...

andromache

Record Breaker
TSL also mentioned C/B trying to get into Montreal, which I'm thinking may not happen if H/B are going there, but worth a shot anyway. They've gone as far as they could with Igor.

Boyang going to Orser is a stroke of genius from China.

lyndichee

Medalist
Team China just made off-season really juicy. Wondering what Ice Dance and Ladies will look like in the next quadrennial.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I am really sad that nowadays everyone in Dance seem to want to train under Montreal. But from the other hand- as soon as they have tons of dance couples their creativity will start to decline (as it always happens) and I think that will be good for Dance field. I cannot see what else this school can do for Dance in figure skating, I have honestly had enough of their same routines and same music choices for the last few years. So I wish some other school fight them back and we get to see new talent from Russia or USA (not Montreal school students) at the top of the game before the next Olympics.