2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

QuadSal

On the Ice
Yessss Yuna Shiraiwa has a spot :D, Rika Kihira has only one! D: why????? D':, Yura Matsuda with two spots? what???. Poor Wakaba and Mako, they will go to Skate Canada :( judges will be so rude with them. Well at least they used all the posible spots, but I would had prefer Yuna Shiraiwa or Rika Hongo with two spots rather than Yura Matsuda, and I hope they give NHK's spot to Rika Kihira :/

Yuna Matsuda gets two spots because of season best, 195.56, is probably in the top 24 ranking of scores.

While Kihria only got one because she is just out side the top 24 for both ranking and season best score and her slightly low placement at junior worlds.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I love how Skate Canada and Rostelecom have the exact same 3 Japanese ladies, while GP Finland has 2 with just one spot. Talk about avoiding variety :laugh:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes Marin has better assignements than last year. It will be tough competition at SA with Satoko and Kaori but she will be fine.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I think the best GP right now for japanese ladies is Skate America and the worst Skate Canada, just for the type of judge, what you think?

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I think Kihira will 90% get the NHK spot.

Looking at the assignments, Miyahara, Mihara, Higuchi, Honda, Sakamoto, Yamashita, and Matsuda already have 2 spots apiece. The 3 skaters from JPN with only 1 spot are Yuna Shiraiwa, Rika Hongo, and Rika Kihira. Both Shiraiwa and Hongo are competing at the Finnish GP right before NHK Trophy whereas Kihira was assigned to IDF which is weeks away from NHK.

Quoting my post from GP assignments. Rika Kihira will probably get the NHK spot.

Congrats on JSF for securing 18 spots (I guess), but you would think with so many spots that they would have avoided the repeat matchups (Wakaba vs. Mako vs. Yura, Mai vs. Maria Sotskova, Marin vs. Bradie, Satoko vs. Elena).

Wakaba is really disadvantaged. At SC she faces Medvedeva and Elizaveta, and at Rostelecom she faces Tsurskaya and Zagitova + 3rd Russian. I think JSF prioritized protecting Satoko a bit. Mai faces a deep field in France (Kostner, Medvedeva, Kihira) and will be regarded as Japanese #2 at NHK behind Satoko. Even Kaori has a bad event in Finland (vs. Kostner, Zagitova).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kaori getting finland GP is not as bad as Mai getting France GP. At worst she can be third. I think Satoko and Kaori are fine.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Kaori getting finland GP is not as bad as Mai getting France GP. At worst she can be third. I think Satoko and Kaori are fine.

Yes, Kaori doesn't have it too easy in Helsinki, but relative to the other fields, it's still fine. Waka and Mai are having the worst assignments again, while Satoko got even better draws then last year - not even a really strong rival in NHK, no Alina or Evgenia, not Caro either. But what can one say at this point.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I admit that Yura getting two spots never crossed my mind. Even knowing that her SB was higher than the Rikas and Yuna (a SB got at the most inflated challenger). But good for her. She have to take her chance.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Wakaba got the worst assignments. Sigh...

She really needs to have great, clean skates or I see her placing 3rd or 4th, which would mean that she might not even qualify for finals. Satoko's are so much more favorable. It's like no one told the JSF that Wakaba's the world silver medalist, Satoko got a bronze...

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wakaba got the worst assignments. Sigh...

She really needs to have great, clean skates or I see her placing 3rd or 4th, which would mean that she might not even qualify for finals. Satoko's are so much more favorable. It's like no one told the JSF that Wakaba's the world silver medalist, Satoko got a bronze...

Miyahara I would guess is a bigger name to draw audiences. She's been more time at the spotlight, was at the Olympics. Worlds were an afterthought for most casual fans. So in that way you can see why she got NHK and not Wakaba. The other assignments are not JSF's fault.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I admit that Yura getting two spots never crossed my mind. Even knowing that her SB was higher than the Rikas and Yuna (a SB got at the most inflated challenger). But good for her. She have to take her chance.

Again it proves that making the Top 24 lists pays off even if it comes from lesser comps.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Satoko has got really favourable fields at both of her events. Barring harsh UR calling, she should probably win both.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Miyahara I would guess is a bigger name to draw audiences. She's been more time at the spotlight, was at the Olympics. Worlds were an afterthought for most casual fans. So in that way you can see why she got NHK and not Wakaba. The other assignments are not JSF's fault.

JSF has been ignoring Wakaba, and Mihara, for over a season now. It's criminal what they are doing. If you get to the point that Yulia openly states during commentating that the Fed is not doing enough for Wakaba in re to her PCS then it is really dire. She was the only skater who had her PCS going down, instead of up last season, even if her skates were good.
And I absolutely adore how the Worlds is an "afterthought" now when they have three spots but was a very convenient excuse last season when there were only two, and were somehow larger than life in importance. Strange that, how when Wakaba isn't at her best it is oh so important, and when she is, it's a no biggie.

This is very much JSF's fault, it has just been piling up now for a good while. And it's a very good indication that neither one of those women can expect anything good from JSF this time around either.
But as long as their faves are protected, it's all good in their book.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Satoko has got really favourable fields at both of her events. Barring harsh UR calling, she should probably win both.

Even after the new GOE rules? Because she's facing Polina at SA, and she has huge jumps. It should be interesting to see how that turns out. Of course, Amano could turn up anywhere :biggrin:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And I absolutely adore how the Worlds is an "afterthought" now when they have three spots but was a very convenient excuse last season when there were only two, and were somehow larger than life in importance. Strange that, how when Wakaba isn't at her best it is oh so important, and when she is, it's a no biggie.
The more obvious distinction would be that there was no Olympics in 2017. Worlds is ipso facto less important in an Olympic season, and Satoko had an excellent performance at the Olympics. She's also the reigning national champion.

Even after the new GOE rules? Because she's facing Polina at SA, and she has huge jumps. It should be interesting to see how that turns out. Of course, Amano could turn up anywhere :biggrin:
This was discussed earlier, but at this point I don't think there's much cause to think that the judges will be less generous to Satoko in GOE than they were under the previous rules. And she's got a huge reputation advantage on Polina and everybody else at her events.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Just poor Wakaba.

The most surprising, Yura getting two spots. I thought the fed would give two to Rika Hongo.

After the host picks the fed does not decide who the other feds invite. There could be some lobbying for sure but its not JPN fault that RUS considered Yura a lesser threat for their skaters.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Wakaba got lowballed hard. I’m so mad on her behalf honestly. They could have at least given her one easier GP.

You could argue JSF should have given Wakaba a NHK spot but again after the host spots are chosen, the rest is up in the air for the other feds to pick. JSF did not give Wakaba those assignments.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The more obvious distinction would be that there was no Olympics in 2017. Worlds is ipso facto less important in an Olympic season, and Satoko had an excellent performance at the Olympics. She's also the reigning national champion.

Not really because the Worlds placement is what counts for next season.

And yes, I know she had a nice performance there. Pity though how nicely JSF treated Wakaba (and Mai) last season while they took such excellent care of Satoko and made absolutely sure she had every single opportunity to get to the top. Wonder how all of that would have unfolded if they actually bothered to lift a finger during the GP season and tried to help someone else for a change.

Oh and same old, same old this season. Satoko is ideally placed to grab those victories and cruise into the GPF while the other two, well who cares about them.

They'll also make sure Satoko keeps scoring excellent GOEs while PCS, what PCS for Wakaba and Mai.

The truly awful thing is that there is no reason to prioritize just one person in this way. The way RusFed, SC and USFSA handle their skaters is such a good example of spreading the wealth and proof that there is no reason to laser focus. Especially not with such talents like Wakaba and Mai. It's madness how underappreciated they are.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I'm not mad at Wakaba's placements. She's one of the best in the World. This is a chance for her to beat the top 2. I think Japan wants to test her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Polina got the same GOE than Satoko for her huge 2A for example.