2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 346 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ahh. Just as I was about to come on here and complain again about how they could choose Kanysheva over Sinitsyna. Vindicated. I'm so happy for Sinitsyna! I love that fun short program she kept from last year and her free skate is gorgeous. She's like a mini Kostornaia! I can't wait to see her.

This really is the perfect 7. Though I love Gubanova, I can't deny that. I feel for her, but at this point I'm torn on whether she should get a spot. The boot issues sound severe. Could she even be ready in time? IF they go with 8/6 (going back and forth on which is the best strategy), perhaps Vasilieva is the better choice. Having no GP may not bode well for Gubanova come nationals, but that's what happens with injury. I worry for her.

Regardless I just hope that they do not make the same mistakes they did last year with the assignments. They need to pick a logical strategy and stick with it. Last year was so erratic, it was like they were just picking random names out of a hat. It was so disorganized that 2nd place finisher Gulyakova was left without a second assignment while Rika Kihira made the final with a 2nd and a 3rd. That will be Young You this year if you don't keep it together, RusFed. Pick your 7 or 8 cards to lay on the table and be done with it, let the chips fall where they may.

Hopefully they're doing that this year but ugh, you just never know with them. I guess the worst they could do is give spots to both Gubanova and Vasilieva and make a 5 Russian final again, and that would be so irritating. Even 8/6 is preferable, but 7/7 is best since it gives one girl room to mess up.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
For the JGP now, I still want to see just 7 girls getting two spots. Or... if one gets a bronze or below, then an 8th girl.
But I really like this idea:

Week 1: Shcherbakova, Tarusina
Week 2: Kostornaya, Kanysheva
Week 3: Sinitsyna, Trusova
Week 4: Shcherbakova, Tarakanova
Week 5: Tarusina, Kostornaya
Week 6: Sinitsyna, Tarakanova (break of one week between 4 and 6 so still 3 weeks)
Week 7: Trusova, Kanysheva

if there had to be an 8th girl, I'd want it to be Vasilieva.
I still think that we'll see at least 8, if not 9 russian ladies, depending on the results. 8 if everything goes well.

colormyworld240

Medalist
She does have a silver from Skate Canada in 2015, and a bronze from Cup of China in 2016, though probably she isn't counting those - and no participation in GPF, of course, let alone medals.

They're talking about the past 2 seasons. Liza has won GPF and world's at her prime.

LRK

Record Breaker
They're talking about the past 2 seasons. Liza has won GPF and world's at her prime.

No, the last three seasons, and it is apropos this post from Liza:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1NGIhl2uK/?taken-by=liza_tuktik

And I've been a fan of hers since her senior GP debut, when she was 13, so I am aware of what she won during her "prime". I was merely adding to skatenewbie's point that she has won a few challenger medals, that she also has won two GP medals. But as you can see in the post you quoted, I also noted that Liza herself wasn't probably counting those - due, no doubt, to the fact of the greater championship titles which you mentioned she's won prior.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
LOL Liza is killing it on insta lately ahahah she's hilarious! I really hope she has a great season!

I hope she gets a spot on the Worlds team. I find Mishin's students way more enjoyable to watch than those of another coach.

Elana

On the Ice
Kind of random, but did anyone else notice that Anna had a slightly tighter version of Zhenya's typical hairstyle in her short program:) I loved seeing them skate together in Japan and hope they can remain friends being so far apart.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I hope she gets a spot on the Worlds team. I find Mishin's students way more enjoyable to watch than those of another coach.

For me, it‘s the opposite. Liza has very good jumps but her programs have been meh to watch, if I‘m honest. It‘s just a personal opinion of course but in general, I‘ve liked far more programs for Eteri‘s senior skaters than for Mishin‘s. :shrug:

Kind of random, but did anyone else notice that Anna had a slightly tighter version of Zhenya's typical hairstyle in her short program:) I loved seeing them skate together in Japan and hope they can remain friends being so far apart.

I also hope that they remain friends. I‘ve already written in Alina‘s fanfest about her friendship with Zhenya and Dasha.They are young girls and all these issues with the coaching changes shouldn‘t affect who they are and how they interact with each other. I also loved seeing them in Japan together, especially when they did the 3Lz next to each other. :)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Where is Shayuki, I wonder? Was he banned? It's strange there wasn't any word from him after magical Scherbakova performance :love: :unsure: Maybe he reached enlightment with it and decided to leave, thinking that he already saw best of what fs is capable to offer, hmm.. :think: :biggrin:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Where is Shayuki, I wonder? Was he banned? It's strange there wasn't any word from him after magical Scherbakova performance :love: :unsure: Maybe he reached enlightment with it and decided to leave, thinking that he already saw best of what fs is capable to offer, hmm.. :think: :biggrin:

Without having seen Anna‘s FS? Or her programs in her senior debut? Or her setting more world records ?? That would be a crime!! :shocked: Her SP is brilliant but Anna Shcherbakova has no limit for brilliance. ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm3dwevhTzy/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1hbcwcwl0x86r

I don’t know if this is 100% thread-relevant, but it’s about Eteri and it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen about her.

Omg I‘ve only just seen this and it is hilarious. :laugh:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Fainted from happiness at Shcherbakova's SP?
How much times everybody here rewatched her SP already, I wonder? :rolleye: I did it just 3 times so far - but only because I don't want to burn out from it early in the season. Perfection in moderation, like they say :coffee: :biggrin: I admit though - watching it in the morning is really good mood boosting for the whole day ahead :luv17: :hap93:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I watched her program once in total. Although I appreciated her flow and grace, the program was somewhat forgettable. I remember she did a rippon 3Lz-3Lo and her ending pose but that's basically it. Nothing groundbreaking stylistically wise. Maybe her free program will be more memorable.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’ve watched it once. I find the leg grabs before/after jumps distracting.

It’s a nice feature ONCE, but 3-4 times its like you couldn’t think of different transitions.