2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 463 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well 15 medals for Russian ladies now but only five Russians can make the JGPF. Kostornaya and Shcherbakova already in, Trusova pretty much in, Kanysheva/Tarakanova/Tarusina fighting for the last two spots.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Well 15 medals for Russian ladies now but only five Russians can make the JGPF. Kostornaya and Shcherbakova already in, Trusova pretty much in, Kanysheva/Tarakanova/Tarusina fighting for the last two spots.

I'm hoping Kanysheva and Tarakanova to take the last two spots. Anyway, do all three of them already have second events?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm hoping Kanysheva and Tarakanova to take the last two spots. Anyway, do all three of them already have second events?

You can do it, Nastya! :biggrin:

And she'll be at next week's JGP event so she at least has a second event! Not sure about Kanysheva though?

Azikin

Medalist

What can we do, the rest of the world can have one spot but the medal is out of reach, anyway... I'm rooting for Tarakanova and Tarusina now! :cheer:

Fluture

Record Breaker
You can do it, Nastya! :biggrin:

And she'll be at next week's JGP event so she at least has a second event! Not sure about Kanysheva though?

Yay for Nastya!! She's one of my favourite junior skaters so I'm hoping for her to do really well! :biggrin:

If anyone deserves a second spot, it's Kanysheva, though. She was literally flawless in Linz.

madison

Record Breaker
:sarcasm:
"not anything" but about "exact problem".
Of course he does not know that the document has "problems".. if he saw "problems" before, he would have fixed them... the "problems" came to light at customs.

and...., Don't you tired? searching everywhere for some evil conspiracy? :disapp:
Don't you think Alina answered enough for all these false accusations yesterday??? :sarcasm:

No, I am not and i don't... and it's even stranger that Alina faced the same reason (problems with the documents at the border) some time ago... One might think that she/grandma/parents/ coaches/administrative team will have payed attention to that, taken into the consideration that it happened once. And Eteri really seems a person who likes control, + her father's interview... so, for me all that was fishy, but it doesn't really matter at this moment.
And if it was strategy, that was smart, not evil conspiracy., as you say.

pearly

Record Breaker
There is strategy too. The whole skating world is watching these competitions prior to GP (judges too) and it is key to win and to build your reputation and PCS. Because with your first outing you set the bar for your component marks.
Since Rika will be one of Alina's main rivals on the technical side, Alina winning at Ondrej Nepela was not certain at all. If she had faltered there, it would have been directly resulted in much lower PCS. At Nebelhorn, competition was not as tough. She could skate with less pressure, she had one week more to recover from the bad test skates and she started the season with a big bang.

Taking her out of Ondrej Nepela was on purpose. To my mind.

You'd be shocked and surprised. So many skating officials couldn't care less.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
No, I am not and i don't... and it's even stranger that Alina faced the same reason (problems with the documents at the border) some time ago... One might think that she/grandma/parents/ coaches/administrative team will have payed attention to that, taken into the consideration that it happened once. And Eteri really seems a person who likes control, + her father's interview... so, for me all that was fishy, but it doesn't really matter at this moment.
And if it was strategy, that was smart, not evil conspiracy., as you say.

it's not a strange. It's a life.
you really call it "a strategy"? really? :sarcasm: when you're having unexpected problems when you're forced to cancel everything at the airport, lost a lot of money on the airplane ticket, hotel. have to buy a new tickets and book hotel.
When a planned activity and schedule are ruined .... Now Alina doesn't have a two weeks between her CS and Japan Open. Now she have just a few days. Less than a week.

I call it ill fertile imagination.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I'd say whatever it was: strategy or just plain bad luck, it turned out to be a successful move. Either by Eteri's neverending strategizing mastermind or fate. :laugh:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
There is strategy too. The whole skating world is watching these competitions prior to GP (judges too) and it is key to win and to build your reputation and PCS. Because with your first outing you set the bar for your component marks.
Since Rika will be one of Alina's main rivals on the technical side, Alina winning at Ondrej Nepela was not certain at all. If she had faltered there, it would have been directly resulted in much lower PCS. At Nebelhorn, competition was not as tough. She could skate with less pressure, she had one week more to recover from the bad test skates and she started the season with a big bang.

Taking her out of Ondrej Nepela was on purpose. To my mind.
Agreed. And it worked. Maybe she also needed an extra week to work on her programs too. Whatever the reason, it was to her benefit.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Anyway, i don't think we'll see Vasilieva score over 190, but let see.
They have put Vasilieva on the worst condition, while the girls they have choose ( Tarakanova and Tarusina ) have now the less competitive event.
Araki ? If Yelim Kim take the silver medal at Ostrava, with another 190+, the possibilities of an all russians final will drop considerably.
Nothing to add.

After see again Vasilieva's programs i still think that she is a good, solid skater, but without that something, both technically and artistically-wise, needed to stand out on the russian field, and gain some bonus internationally.
It's unfair, but it was something to be expected.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
He seems he didn't know anything after the incident not before, which is strange.... anyway..
Here is the interview (google translate). Source:https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1067077245.html

According to the Federation of Figure Skating of Russia (FFKR), the figure skater did not fly to Slovakia because of problems with the documents.
“Problems with permission to depart from parents? Very strange. Honestly, I do not know about it. We made out a similar document, everything was in order. I can not say anything now in more detail, because I do not have the information, ”said Zagitov.

Anyway, it's a fait accompli... probably, we'll never learn what exactly happened... but as it seems it was for Alina's best.
You’d think if there were problems with her document they would have tried to contact her father to have them fixed. But he didn’t know about it until the interview? The whole thing to me is strange and what makes me think it was strategic.

Lana05

Final Flight
You’d think if there were problems with her document they would have tried to contact her father to have them fixed. But he didn’t know about it until the interview? The whole thing to me is strange and what makes me think it was strategic.

I had the same problem when I was younger! Our notarius accidently filled my consant documet wrong and we fond out it right before the flight. So Idk how father who lives in another city could know. There was a mistake made in my mother's name. Probably Alina had the same problem or maybe smth else was filled wrong.
There is no strategy in lying about documents and go to an airport with bags, tickets and go back home.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I had the same problem when I was younger! Our notarius accidently filled my consant documet wrong and we fond out it right before the flight. So Idk how father who lives in another city could know. There was a mistake made in my mother's name. Probably Alina had the same problem or maybe smth else was filled wrong.
There is no strategy in lying about documents and go to an airport with bags, tickets and go back home.

I’m not disputing that this happens quite frequently. My point was that you’d think before announcing that she’d be missing the event, Alina or someone else would have called her family to see if they could update the documents and fax them over so she could get on a later flight. But from what I understand, her dad was contacted by a news interviewer before Alina or her team had talked to him about the situation. Which to me feels odd.

Like it’s not that big a deal and I don’t begrudge them for making that strategic decision (if that’s what happened). Just to me it seems fishy.

Except that her father did not know anything about this after the incident, which was strange....:shocked:

I think it is really difficult to make any prediction for the next four year... it's just a long way and anything can happen.
I personally like a lot Kamila Valieva, her arms' movements are mesmerizing.
I do think that Alena Kostornaya passes a bad time right now, but this doesn't mean that she's in danger, she can very easily overcome this.
And I hope that Trusova will stay healthy, cause what Eteri underlined in a recent interview - that the quads are very dangerous and the motto for Sasha Pray and Practice - are kind of worrysome.

Well with Alina it was probably a bigger concern dealing with the fed and trying to get her assigned somewhere else at short notice than it was dealing with her father. It's not like her father was going to say no and it would have taken no time at all to get him to sign it. She wasn't going to make that competition at the point no matter what happened, deal with the fed first, get the parents to sign second.

As for Alena she apparently skated sick at this competition so maybe not a bad time just a bad competition. And not even a bad competition really, she still won and got higher PC's than she did at Linz.

Quads are dangerous. We all know that. And they are unpredictable. Look at Adian Pitkeev, nobody thought at the time that was a career ending fall that was going to see him in and out of hospital on a regular basis for the next three years and a lifetime of heavy duty painkillers. We had all seen worse falls than that. So perhaps Pray and Practice is an appropriate motto when it comes to training quads. And hope that Eteri and co have learned from their past mistakes.

moriel

Record Breaker
I’m not disputing that this happens quite frequently. My point was that you’d think before announcing that she’d be missing the event, Alina or someone else would have called her family to see if they could update the documents and fax them over so she could get on a later flight. But from what I understand, her dad was contacted by a news interviewer before Alina or her team had talked to him about the situation. Which to me feels odd.

Like it’s not that big a deal and I don’t begrudge them for making that strategic decision (if that’s what happened). Just to me it seems fishy.

I dont think you can fax those things, you usually need the original.
So one would need to contact her parents, then they would need to go a notary and get the new document, then mail it back to Alina. In best case, that is a whole day, but likely it would arrive next day. This means that, since she was traveling close to the competition, she simply had no time to do it, and there was no point to contact her parents first thing straight from the airport, since there was nothing they could do.
In such situation, the news people could have easily find out before her parents.

skatenewbie

Medalist
So Tarusina need to score 201 or win in Ljubljana if she want to qualify JGPF, while Tarakanova need to score 197/198? or win the event to qualify for JGPF. its quite unpredictable, its unlikely for Tarusina to score 200+ but Tarakanova can be shaky and if she fall(s) Tarusina will win and qualify instead

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
What's the most likely thing is as follows:

Slovenia: Tarusina has the skate of her life to win and Tarakanova gets silver with 197+. Big ifs.
Armenia: Trusova wins, and Kanysheva is second.