2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

bubblecherry

Final Flight
1-2. Alina and Rika
3-5. Zhenia , Satoko, Liza
6-7. Kaori (or Mai/Wakaba) and Bradie
8-10. Eunsoo, Mariah, and Loena
11-12 Alexia, Elizabet

But, yeah I do see a way to get 3 spots. If just depends on how the dice rolls.

Seems like a pretty solid prediction. You should bookmark this and look at it after Worlds for the laughs

frida80

Record Breaker
Seems like a pretty solid prediction. You should bookmark this and look at it after Worlds for the laughs

Thanks for the suggestion. We all know how hard it is to find a post you made months ago.

But these predictions will probably change by worlds. We still have Tallin, Golden Spin, GPF, everyone’s nationals, Europeans and 4CC. You never know when someone may finally find their grove or start to fizzle. :(

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
But then are still the korean ladies, loena hendricks, alexia paganini all of them scored quite good recently!

Bradie has beaten them all & Mariah/Karen also can score high enough to do it. Yes, the U.S. ladies will have to skate clean. But they do have the technical value in their programs to beat the ones you mentioned.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
To finish 6 & 7, the U.S. women need only 1 of the Russia/Japan skaters to mess up. The others can be in spots 1-5.

I'd feel more confident if we were sending two Bradies. However, there is likely to be a substantial gap between her score and the second American's, and many other skaters can finish in between them.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Realistically, I have Bradie finishing 7th and our next skater eeking out a spot in the top 10. I think we might be a couple seasons out from getting that 3rd spot back. Frankly.. We don't really need it.

I agree, but for the moment, Mariah has a higher SB than Medvedeva, so who knows? :slink:

tothepointe

On the Ice
Despite all that depth, Japan & Russia still get only 3 spots each. So let’s say 5 out of the 6 skate lights out and grab places 1-5, but one has a rare weaker competition and finishes 8th. That leaves places 6 & 7 open to “everybody else” ... but also to Bradie & Mariah/Karen/?/. Obviously, all would have to go perfectly for the USA skaters to get 3 spots back, but this scenario isn’t wildly farfetched.

Also it's rare for all skaters from a country to skate lights out. Remember Pogorilya was actually leading in the ISU season points her last worlds and you saw how that turned out. It must be hard mentally to be the 3rd ranked lady in Russia or Japan. They have their "heir and a spare" and then there is you. Look at Alina at last years Worlds.

Some combo of 6th and 7th place isn't out of the question if Bradie can perform as well as last time and Mariah can match that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised both Ryan and Johnny were so kind about Gracie's skate. Well, not surprised so much by Ryan. By Johnny, definitely.

doublequad

On the Ice
just watched bradie's SP. good recovery

- - - Updated - - -

I was surprised both Ryan and Johnny were so kind about Gracie's skate. Well, not surprised so much by Ryan. By Johnny, definitely.

do you have a link to nbc commentary of gracie's skate?

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Phil Hersh tweeted earlier today that Mariah Bell is now the favorite to win Nationals.

Talk like this seems really premature to me. Mariah still doesn't have triple-triples yet. All Bradie needs to do is bite the bullet and take out the 3Lz-3Lo at least for Nationals and she'd be fine, even if her PCS is close to Mariah's.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Talk like this seems really premature to me. Mariah still doesn't have triple-triples yet. All Bradie needs to do is bite the bullet and take out the 3Lz-3Lo at least for Nationals and she'd be fine, even if her PCS is close to Mariah's.

she has back end triple combo and triple-triple in the short. She has scored 70 in short this season and 135+ in long. That's internationally. Nationally those programs would have scored like 72+ and 140+. She is a real contender for gold if she skates cleanly.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
she has back end triple combo and triple-triple in the short. She has scored 70 in short this season and 135+ in long. That's internationally. Nationally those programs would have scored like 72+ and 140+. She is a real contender for gold if she skates cleanly.

She's fallen on and URed that triple-triple in the short during the GP circuit. She's certainly on the upward climb and a contender, but I wouldn't say she's the favorite yet. Bradie's scores would also go up nationally. I think it'll be up to whether Mariah capitalizes on her momentum but also whether Bradie sticks with the lutz-loop. Bradie beat Zhenya this season and that does matter to the U.S. judges as well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
just watched bradie's SP. good recovery

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a link to nbc commentary of gracie's skate?

No, I have it dvr'ed..sorry..I could go transcribe it. Actually I don't think NBC showed her short. I believe they mentioned it in passing and Johnny said how brave she was. For whatever reason, the Olympic channel has been showing the whole short from every discipline, the entire long from ice dance and pairs!!! and ladies and men's long all mushed together. I find it very aggravating. Anyway the Olympic Channel definitely showed her short and Ryan was very complimentary.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

What did they say? I also read an article on Gracie at Rostelecom in Asahi.com (Japanese mainstream news site), which was also very kind.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

I agree that it's very premature to try and predict what will happen at Nationals--but that's our Phil! :laugh:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I agree that it's very premature to try and predict what will happen at Nationals--but that's our Phil! :laugh:

Phil is a master at abandoning the ship out of need for a consistent U.S. lady. It seems like it was just yesterday that he was propping up Bradie to shade Ashley/Mirai/Karen's inconsistencies. Gotta lie in the bed you made, my guy. :coffee: