2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 169 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Globetrotter

Medalist
Bradie has beaten them all & Mariah/Karen also can score high enough to do it. Yes, the U.S. ladies will have to skate clean. But they do have the technical value in their programs to beat the ones you mentioned.

In theory anything is possible. In reality, none of the actively on duty US ladies are showstealers. And the US girls are as likely to be dinged on edges and < as anyone else and none have the PCS to match to pull up. Not likely IMO to gain back this season.

frida80

Record Breaker
For Alysa's sake I hope that doesn't happen. She needs more time to mature as a skater.

I don't want it to happen. I'm sick of girls getting hyped and crumbling under the horrifically massive pressure the Feds put them under. I want her to lose to both Mariah and Bradie so she has to fight for it. She'll focus on the quality of her jumps. Her edges and speed. Transitions etc. You learn far more by losing that winning. It forces you to look at yourself and make improvements. It helps toughen up your skin and makes you focused on your success than living up to others expectations. Michelle lost a lot before she became a champion. Didn't go to the 1994 Olympics. Didn't medal at Worlds in 1995. All these experiences made her a better skater. She wasn't anointed. She fought and conquered. That's what I want for Alysa.

But if Bradie can't skate clean and Mariah botches her SP, they'll lose if Alysa nails all her 3A. The math just isn't in their favor.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
just watched bradie's SP. good recovery

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a link to nbc commentary of gracie's skate?

No, so I transcribed the commentary. I'm sure you've seen the skate.

During the warmup: Andrea: "And of course all eyes will be on Gracie Gold in her first competition in nearly 2 years. She announced she was getting treatment for anxiety, depression, and an eating disorder and so many in the figure skating world, Ryan are ready to welcome her back with open arms."
Ryan: "Absolutely. You know Gracie has such a sweet soul, like everyone that's met her is very fond of her, everyone wants to see that climb back. They understand how hard it can be being at the top, all the eyes on you, that kind of pressure day in and day out really takes its toll on these young athletes and you tend to forget about that because you only see them on the day that is supposedly their best day. It's the days in between that make it so difficult."
Andrea: "And it sounds like a cliche but it really is true that for Gracie it's a victory just to be here."
Ryan: "Absolutely and many didn't think that they would see this again. You know Gracie really had to go through a lot just to get herself prepared to be able to step on this stage once again."
Andrea: "And she will be in a group that also features two Russian teenagers..." (then they start to talk about the Russian skaters)
Gracie starts her short: Ryan: "Gracie opens this program with one of her marquee elements, the 3Lutz 3 Toe. Gracie doubles. Ryan: "Just a 2Lutz 2Toe." Triple flip: "You see that drill at the top of the jump getting into that tight rotating position but so much torque on the landing that she's unable to hold on." "Last pass the double axel. In skating terms that's what we refer to as a waxel, where you slip off that edge and are unable to complete any sort of rotation." "And that first program back she had to know it was going to be difficult, it's been so long since she's been on that stage, but certainly not where she wanted to be."
Andrea: "And even though she and her team have talked about the fact that it is not about this competition and where she places, you have to believe that you get out there that first time and are hoping for a little bit more than that perhaps, but again to get that one under your belt, gotta be easier the next time, right?" (I agree with Andrea. Maybe I'm in the twilight zone.)
Ryan: "Absolutely, it's important. You've always got to take that first step if you're going to make it to where you want to be, but as a competitor every time you get on the ice you expect the best of yourself and those expectations, when reality and expectations collide it can be very difficult to stomach, and she just wasn't ready, and you could see even on the reach of that triple lutz she's so known for getting so much torque as she reaches back, it just doesn't look like she had that much energy in that reach, and when you don't have that much energy...she actually got quite a bit of energy here on the triple flip but when you don't have enough it makes it so hard to get enough momentum to rotate 3 times in the air. They're certainly going to take a look at that landing of the triple flip. When the jump goes up and rotates the majority on the way down and you see that blade spinning once it hits contact with the ice, that's a big red flag, and any time you fall on a jump, particularly in the short program, they're generally going to take a look at the landing to make sure it was clean. So that technical score was low, it's probably going to come down even more, and then the double axel, which even when Gracie was at her best, that was not a jump she was particularly comfortable with. Just heartbreaking. You want to see Gracie get out there, you want to see Gracie evolve, and the courage she has to be able to go out and be there and taking this first jaunt into this journey, it's amazing, but" (Andrea interrupts) "She's got a lot of folks rooting for her for sure" (Yes, I am one). Ryan: "She sure does." Andrea: "She was at the 2018 US Championships as a spectator and she was on Twitter doing live commentary and she said that it was being back in that skating environment, sitting in the stands, that made her really miss competing and it reminded her of all the positive things in the sport, and so for her to be able to sit there in the K&C now and to be able to laugh and know that this is not the worst thing that will ever happen to her in her life, right?" (Lordy, I agree with Andrea again and that's basically what I said in different words). Ryan: "But this is the worst moment in a skater's career when you're sitting there waiting while the judges are thinking about your score. Just such a helpless moment." The end. Next skater.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did they say? I also read an article on Gracie at Rostelecom in Asahi.com (Japanese mainstream news site), which was also very kind.

I just transcribed it. Should be on this page somewhere.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree that it's very premature to try and predict what will happen at Nationals--but that's our Phil! :laugh:

Braide will finish this part of the season with the best international placements, the highest SP score, and the highest LP score (and today topped Mariah's season's best LP score). There is no basis to claim anyone but Bradie is the favorite.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am so proud of Bradie. I think the Russian dramatic style suits her very well. She needs to eat more burgers. Her coach looks like a professor, and the guy sitting next to her looks like he is from a movie scene:)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Bradie on her bronze at IDF. Thank goodness she saved the ladies from not medaling on the GP.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Great job Bradie! Bronze medal!! Happy to see her on the podium, as after the short I wasn’t expecting it. 4th and 3rd aren’t too bad of GP placements. Now she has two bronzes from the GP series. Next year I would love to see a silver added to the collection :)

I think she has to take out the lutz loop form the short. It’s too risky. In the long, it pays off...but not in the short. A nice 3lutz-3toe will do it. She would have been silver here had she done that.

natsulian

Final Flight
Congrats Bradie. Once Bradie cleans up her under-rotations, triple lutz-triple loop combo in the short program, and works on her PCS, she will be in an ideal position to win nationals and probably go for a Top 6/5 finish at Worlds. As for Mariah, she's got the PCS down, but her programs lack the technical components Bradie has to her advantage. If Mariah's last three competitions are anything to go by, this could be or already is Mariah's break-out season, she just needs that extra push to include a triple-triple or two in the long program. Finally, there's Alysa Liu with technical prowess rivaling the Russian and Japanese girls. However, Alysa, like any other talent, must be groomed and honed before being sent off to the sharks. A 3rd or 4th place finish brought down by her PCS would not be surprising unless she goes for her quad and lands it cleanly.

The next few seasons are going to truly be exciting to watch with the possibility of the U.S. girls finally putting themselves back on the map with Bradie, Mariah, Ting, Alysa, and more. Best wishes to all.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she has to take out the lutz loop form the short. It’s too risky. In the long, it pays off...but not in the short. A nice 3lutz-3toe will do it. She would have been silver here had she done that.

Agreed. At least at Nationals, Bradie can do a lutz-toe and win the SP by a comfortable margin. She may want to take the risk at Worlds because that added difficulty could make the difference between a podium finish and not.

bennorii

On the Ice
Congrats Bradie. Once Bradie cleans up her under-rotations, triple lutz-triple loop combo in the short program, and works on her PCS, she will be in an ideal position to win nationals and probably go for a Top 6/5 finish at Worlds. As for Mariah, she's got the PCS down, but her programs lack the technical components Bradie has to her advantage. If Mariah's last three competitions are anything to go by, this could be or already is Mariah's break-out season, she just needs that extra push to include a triple-triple or two in the long program. Finally, there's Alysa Liu with technical prowess rivaling the Russian and Japanese girls. However, Alysa, like any other talent, must be groomed and honed before being sent off to the sharks. A 3rd or 4th place finish brought down by her PCS would not be surprising unless she goes for her quad and lands it cleanly.

The next few seasons are going to truly be exciting to watch with the possibility of the U.S. girls finally putting themselves back on the map with Bradie, Mariah, Ting, Alysa, and more. Best wishes to all.

TBH Mariah's break-out season was 2016-17... she needs to get it together now!

mrrice

Record Breaker
TBH Mariah's break-out season was 2016-17... she needs to get it together now!

What year was it when she did Titanic? I considered that her break-out season. I thought she had "Arrived" when she did East Of Eden. She's a National Medalist and IMO.. She's here. She has the coaching, and programs. She just needs to hold it together under pressure.

bennorii

On the Ice
What year was it when she did Titanic? I considered that her break-out season. I thought she had "Arrived" when she did East Of Eden. She's a National Medalist and IMO.. She's here. She has the coaching, and programs. She just needs to hold it together under pressure.

She did Titanic in 14-15 when she placed 6th at Nationals, but I mention 2016-17 because all 4 of the senior medals she has gotten were from that season. She won her first GP medal, 2 Challenger medals, and her first senior national medal. She has all the contents in the package, even the fancy ribbon to tie it all together. She just needs to actually tie it around the package.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone else notice that Bradie's hair looks a little darker? She may have put a rinse in it to get rid of that stark white-blonde look.

Shani

On the Ice
Go Bradie and do not doubt yourself. Components score will rise with this skate. And also Mariah Bell well done in Japan with a tough field.