2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 266 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Bradie and Mariah were awesome! Let's face it they were highly unlikely to make the podium but they both gave amazing performances in a tough field.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Bradie and Mariah were awesome! Let's face it they were highly unlikely to make the podium but they both gave amazing performances in a tough field.

They both improved a lot. It doesn’t seem like it from the placements, but this is because it was one of those rare competitions when everyone skated well. For bradie to get 213 internationally, that’s a really huge score. Mariah also blew past in to the 200’s. Great job. It wasn’t enough for three spots, but it’s okay. We really couldn’t have asked for more from them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am absolutely proud and happy for our ladies. As for 3 spots....We'll get them back some day but, I like the seeing the ladies have to truly fight to make the world team. The way these ladies skated tonight, they could be the world team next year too. Bravo.

lizardlass

On the Ice
Bradie and Mariah did their absolute best when it counted, and I am so proud of them both. In terms of getting three spots back, the odds were simply stacked against them this time. I mean, last year, their scores would have been more than enough. (In fact, Bradie's score would have earned her a silver medal.) But they can only move onward and upward from here. :agree2:

tothepointe

On the Ice
Bradie and Mariah did their absolute best when it counted, and I am so proud of them both. In terms of getting three spots back, the odds were simply stacked against them this time. I mean, last year, their scores would have been more than enough. (In fact, Bradie's score would have earned her a silver medal.) But they can only move onward and upward from here. :agree2:

Yeah it's hard to get 3 spots back when you have two other countries also with 3 spots who have 6 strong skaters between them.

natsulian

Final Flight
Bradie and Mariah’s PCS have risen... and that’s all that counts...

In all honesty, Bradie is now within scoring range of 220-225 clean and Mariah is within the 205-210 range. If their PCS and GOE’s begin to increase a little bit more with improved consistency, Bradie has an outside chance at a GPF invite and Mariah could potentially start medaling. Also, Mariah seems to have been made even stronger by the whole incident, so hopefully she uses it as a launchpad to win over new fans and win back some old fans next season.

Since the World Team Trophy is in a few weeks, what ladies team is the US sending?

tothepointe

On the Ice
Bradie and Mariah’s PCS have risen... and that’s all that counts...

In all honesty, Bradie is now within scoring range of 220-225 clean and Mariah is within the 205-210 range. If their PCS and GOE’s begin to increase a little bit more with improved consistency, Bradie has an outside chance at a GPF invite and Mariah could potentially start medaling. Also, Mariah seems to have been made even stronger by the whole incident, so hopefully she uses it as a launchpad to win over new fans and win back some old fans next season.

Since the World Team Trophy is in a few weeks, what ladies team is the US sending?

Hopefully Bradie and Mariah since I know there is usually a nice payday that comes with it and they certainly deserve that perk.

Casual

On the Ice
hopefully she uses it as a launchpad to win over new fans and win back some old fans next season.

Bah, no-triple-triple Mariah has lost this fan.

I'm happy for Bradie, but I just can't wait for the new generation of US skaters to replace what we have now.

natsulian

Final Flight
The new generation is not yet ready. Plus, it’s not like Mariah and Bradie are going to be gone any time soon or failing the US ladies. Both have so much to improve and could really push the younger generation forward and vice-versa. The new generation will probably really start making strides in the senior ranks during the 2021-2022 season, 2 years from now. That is, unless Ting and Hanna manage to land their 4T and 3A consistently and the former finds continuous consistency. Also, this is what, Bradie’s second full season as a senior? She still has many years left in her if she wishes.

Casual

On the Ice
The new generation is not yet ready. Plus, it’s not like Mariah and Bradie are going to be gone any time soon or failing the US ladies. Both have so much to improve and could really push the younger generation forward and vice-versa. The new generation will probably really start making strides in the senior ranks during the 2021-2022 season, 2 years from now. That is, unless Ting and Hanna manage to land their 4T and 3A consistently and the former finds continuous consistency. Also, this is what, Bradie’s second full season as a senior? She still has many years left in her if she wishes.

For Bradie, I would root. I appreciate her hard work and improvements she made this season.

So lets rephrase. Lets keep Bradie improving, and wait for the roster of talented youngsters. :biggrin:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't see Bradie as a World medalist she is solid but the key is having someone else good enough to finish in the top 6 to help her get that 3rd spot back. As good as Ashley was it took someone with great talent who even with mistakes and not being clean was good enough to finish in the top 6 to get 3 spots back and that's what happened at Worlds in 2013 with Ashley and Gracie. I don't see Mariah as that skater who can move up that high.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m wondering who we’ll see retire before next season begins. Any thoughts? On Hannah Miller (usfsa clearly are saying goodbye to her) and Courtney Hicks (usfsa really hosed her in the sp at nationals; they want her gone as well) and Ashley and mirai,

Casual

On the Ice
I just don't see Bradie as a World medalist she is solid but the key is having someone else good enough to finish in the top 6 to help her get that 3rd spot back. As good as Ashley was it took someone with great talent who even with mistakes and not being clean was good enough to finish in the top 6 to get 3 spots back and that's what happened at Worlds in 2013 with Ashley and Gracie. I don't see Mariah as that skater who can move up that high.
I would agree, except being a World's ladies medalist (or attaining any particular placement) these days seems to have more to do with politics, and less with actual skating skills or refined artistry.

The judging was so astoundingly corrupt at the WC, the actual level of skating might matter less and less in the future.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Next year 4 ladies will be competing for the 2 World spots: Bradie, Mariah, Ting and Hannah. I think it's more like Bradie + Ting. After all these years, I really don't see Mariah at 23 can significantly elevate her technical content, and Hannah needs some more polish, and stamina in the second half of her LP. But anything can happen between now and the next Worlds. Would Karen, Gracie, Mirai and Polina come back?

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Next year 4 ladies will be competing for the 2 World spots: Bradie, Mariah, Ting and Hannah. I think it's more like Bradie + Ting. After all these years, I really don't see Mariah at 23 can significantly elevate her technical content, and Hannah needs some more polish, and stamina in the second half of her LP. But anything can happen between now and the next Worlds. Would Karen, Gracie, Mirai and Polina come back?

Mariah will be 23, Mirai will be 26. Do you really think she'll come back?

Has there been any news about Karen or Polina coming back? I expect Gracie to come back, there have been regular postings of her practices, and landing her triples again. I would love to see her come back.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Polina announced last fall her intention to come back next year.

“I haven’t lived up to my competitive potential,” Edmunds said Thursday. “My career internationally has been so short. I really feel like there’s more that I can do, more that I can bring. This time I’ve had off, this physical and mental growth, coming back I can be even better than I was before.”