2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Pooja Kalyan tested her senior freestyle at a rink I was a today. Looks like she too will be competing senior at nationals. Her long program is a mix of songs from the Lion King soundtrack. Very pretty dress and skating!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I love Bradie's SP. Lukewarm on her free. I felt the same way last year. IMO, her dramatic SPs seem to suit her so much more than the styles of last year's and this year's LPs. I didn't hate the Cinderella program the way some people did but I don't think it or this Romeo and Juliet one really amplify her. They're fine, but I think her short shows that she's capable of more than just fine. That SP shows such improvement not just technically but artistically for her. Very excited about that Lutz-loop combo.

Ducky

On the Ice
Omg! Bradie's SP is good! I think this will be a good fit for her.

And WOW that 3 lutz-3 loop combo looked so clean and precise, I'm happy to see she is increasing her technical difficulty. Who would have thought the USA would have a senior lady who is consistent and can jump 3 lutz-3 loop. If she skates cleanly at her Grand Prix assignments she should be a contender to make it to the GP final.

She kind of reminds me of Gracie Gold pre-2016-2017 season (except that Bradie is a better competitor in terms of mental toughness). They have a similar look, good posture, good speed, very clean technically correct jumps and spins. The only thing they could improve on is a bit less stiffness and more connection to music.

I'm going to nitpick because that's all there is to do with Bradie (b/c she's that good) but this is a really interesting piece of music but it doesn't sell itself. It's not Dramatic! like a warhorse and it's not high energy enough to carry the audience along for the ride. Bradie has to sell the music and she doesn't quite do that. Part of that could be saved with packaging (think black swan style make up and french twist) and part of that is Bradie needing to figure out what the character she is portraying and why she's doing things with her arms at that moment. Because so often while watching her I get the sense that to her choreography is just going through the motions because you have to do something with your arms between jumps and spins, and I think if she were able to focus on performing it would push her from being good to being amazing.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm going to nitpick because that's all there is to do with Bradie (b/c she's that good) but this is a really interesting piece of music but it doesn't sell itself. It's not Dramatic! like a warhorse and it's not high energy enough to carry the audience along for the ride. Bradie has to sell the music and she doesn't quite do that. Part of that could be saved with packaging (think black swan style make up and french twist) and part of that is Bradie needing to figure out what the character she is portraying and why she's doing things with her arms at that moment. Because so often while watching her I get the sense that to her choreography is just going through the motions because you have to do something with your arms between jumps and spins, and I think if she were able to focus on performing it would push her from being good to being amazing.

I agree. I thought her movement had improved quite a bit, but I didn't see the relation to the music in terms of her arm movements at several points. Like in quiet moments in the music where she's doing a lot choreo-wise. I'd like to see the choreo be a bit more musical. But definite improvement.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang had triple loop triple loop. I don't know if she landed it last season, but she performed it successfully several times the season before.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i am so glad to see Bradie is moving upward and forward. If she can withstand the pressure of being the American darling she might even podium this year - think about it. Her jumps are bigger than the Japanese ladies, Gabby seems unable to regain form, Kaetlyn at best will try for worlds, and even if Evgenia and Alina are guaranteed spots on the podium basically there is one more and Bradie could o wn it. She skates with ownership, power and confidnece and is not afraid. I will be interested to see if Karen gets it to gether now that she no longer is the fave. With Mirai and Ashley takingbreaks and the other l adies not able to step up to the plate the window of opportunity is now.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Has anyone heard of Violeta Ushakova, the novice bronze medalist this year? Inside Edition did a piece on her when the Olympics were happening but I cannot find anything about her at all.

mrrice

Record Breaker
After seeing Bradie's programs this year it appears that she will remain the top US Lady heading into Nationals. Karen, Courtney and Mariah are always in the mix. Are there any young skaters who could knock them off the podium? How about Starr?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
After seeing Bradie's programs this year it appears that she will remain the top US Lady heading into Nationals. Karen, Courtney and Mariah are always in the mix. Are there any young skaters who could knock them off the podium?

Alysa Liu for sure could shake things up. Possibly even win nats. Possibly Ting Cui or Pooja Kalyan could medal. Both of whom are also very promising juniors competing senior at nationals.

concorde

Medalist
Isn't Champs Camp in about week?

Any idea who the lucky lady that gets the 3rd SA slot? Or is USFS sending multiples ladies and they get to duke it out for the slot?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Isn't Champs Camp in about week?

Any idea who the lucky lady that gets the 3rd SA slot? Or is USFS sending multiples ladies and they get to duke it out for the slot?

I think Champs Camp starts next Saturday. :)

If either Megan Wessenberg or Katie McBeath are invited to Champs Camp, it probably signals that the TBD spot will go to her. If it’s being offered to someone who already has one GP assignment - ie Angela or Courtney - we probably won’t know who gets the TBD until an announcement is made.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can’t wait to see Gracie Gold at Champs Camp.

Neither can I. As long as she's happy, I'll be happy. She's not under the glaring spotlight like she used to be and I hope she can enjoy this comeback. I will always remember Zayak's comeback in 1994. She smiled her way through her programs and seemed truly happy with her experience. Win or lose, if Gracie's happy, I'm happy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coaching change for Audrey Shin, who used to be with Raf?

Not clear to whom exactly, but she is listed in Tom Z's post re the first day of the World Arena Skating Academy (a collaboration of multiple coaches):

Other U.S. ladies listed: Ting Cui, Paige Rydberg, Livvy Shilling, Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Brynne McIsaac, Avery Kurtz, Angelina Huang, Lily Sun.

(Other skaters listed: Vincent, Camden, Emmanuel, Alex Wellman, Tomoki, Andrew Torgashev, Yaro Paniot, Young You, Yelim Kim, Yi Christy Leung.

btw, WASA includes pairs as well, per Dalilah's post.)

Ross74

Medalist
Coaching change for Audrey Shin, who used to be with Raf?

Not clear to whom exactly, but she is listed in Tom Z's post re the first day of the World Arena Skating Academy (a collaboration of multiple coaches):

Other U.S. ladies listed: Ting Cui, Paige Rydberg, Livvy Shilling, Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Brynne McIsaac, Avery Kurtz, Angelina Huang, Lily Sun.

(Other skaters listed: Vincent, Camden, Emmanuel, Alex Wellman, Tomoki, Andrew Torgashev, Yaro Paniot, Young You, Yelim Kim, Yi Christy Leung.

btw, WASA includes pairs as well, per Dalilah's post.)

Interesting. Does this mean that Ting didn't go to Raf as someone ?TSL? had reported?