2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 97 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If you aren't working to be competitive internationally, you probably aren't going anywhere nationally. You'll just be stuck in the ever revolving window of not having enough spots at home to get anywhere. Be good enough to earn your own berth on the World team.

This year's Senior Nationals is about experience for these young ladies. They may go nowhere after Nationals. They may struggle at the Senior National level the same way Nguyen, Ma, McIsaac, Chen, Le, Glen, and so many other junior or recently junior ladies did last season. But you have to go for it. You can't just think you're going anywhere by doing the same non-internationally competitive elements the U.S. ladies have been doing for the past 4 years. You need solid technique, good competitive experience, and guts. This year is just one stop along the way for Ting & Alysa. Look at the jumps of the young ladies behind them. Today's juniors and novices are not competing with the ladies of the current era. They are looking to compete with their peers. You aren't going anywhere in neutral.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree. Any US woman landing a 3 triple SP and 7 triple LP would have made the World or Olympic team in the last 12 years (at least). These skaters are getting ahead of themselves to be relevant internationally, but they still have to skate solid, point-earning programs at the national level before worrying about anything beyond.

I completely agree with this comment. Our ladies have got to learn how to compete under pressure. Ting is lovely but, she can't survive internationally by skating one clean program per event. I think Bradie is a perfect example of this. I was not a fan of her programs last year and had she not skated perfectly, I don't think she would have made the top 10. I like her programs more this year but, she has to skate perfectly if she's going to break into the top 5 at Worlds.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
Is she trying to be prepared for regionals next year (2020 regionals)? In other words, is she planning to compete? Or is this just back on the ice for personal enjoyment?

I believe there was an article on how shes taking this season off competing just to get back into jumping triples again and then will try to compete next year. She had a number of bad and recurring injuries so it was probably the best decision to take 10 months off and nearly start over.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“I haven’t lived up to my competitive potential,” Edmunds said Thursday. “My career internationally has been so short. I really feel like there’s more that I can do, more that I can bring. This time I’ve had off, this physical and mental growth, coming back I can be even better than I was before.”

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/polina-edmunds-figure-skating/

skatenewbie

Medalist
Ting rippon on jumps excelt 3T is not that consistent, i wonder if its better to ditch 3Lz rippon. doing 3Lz-3T(rippon) is good too. I rather see clean jumps rather messy jumps with rippon. She could score 130-135 in FP if clean since she scored 70 in SP. she has massive potential but need to pull it together.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
“I haven’t lived up to my competitive potential,” Edmunds said Thursday. “My career internationally has been so short. I really feel like there’s more that I can do, more that I can bring. This time I’ve had off, this physical and mental growth, coming back I can be even better than I was before.”

Artistically, I think she came back better than before. I enjoyed watching her most recent competitive programs. However, I think it's going to be really hard for her to match her previous accomplishments because I'm not sure she can get her jumps back to where they were.

andromache

Record Breaker
This season has just got more interesting. One more comeback.

I don't think Polina will be competing this season if she just got on the ice for the first time in ten months. Maybe next season. But getting her triples back will be challenging unless she trains full time with a good technical coach.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I sure hope Angela skates well. She's been on the scene for a very time and I feel like it's now or never with her.

Angela will not skate well. I know it. She has never even been top 6 at nationals. I kinda wish someone else got the spot instead of her. We’ll see her fall and pop and whatnot all over her 2 assignments.☹️

frida80

Record Breaker
This ia when it pays off to do well at nationals. Congrats to both Starr and Angela. Back to back GP will be a challenge but a good opportunity for the both of them.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I sure hope Angela skates well. She's been on the scene for a very long time and I feel like it's now or never with her.

but .. but ... Mr Rice, you said that all last year too! LOL, just kiddin' ya.

I don't remember what I thought of Angela's new fs when I saw it, but I don't like her SP. It has too many Michelle Kwan moves in it, and for me it was off-putting. I really love Angela's skating in her own right and don't need any reminders of others' past glory. I especially loved Angela's Over the Rainbow SP last year, so maybe I like Philip's (what's his last name? aaargh. you know who I mean) choreography for her.

ETA: Mills. Philip Mills.

mrrice

Record Breaker
but .. but ... Mr Rice, you said that all last year too! LOL, just kiddin' ya.

I don't remember what I thought of Angela's new fs when I saw it, but I don't like her SP. It has too many Michelle Kwan moves in it, and for me it was off-putting. I really love Angela's skating in her own right and don't need any reminders of others' past glory. I especially loved Angela's Over the Rainbow SP last year, so maybe I like Philip's (what's his last name? aaargh. you know who I mean) choreography for her.

ETA: Mills. Philip Mills.

I Know......:drama: I've been rooting for Angela since 2013 and it has been frustrating but, she was so great when I saw her that I would have bet money on her back then. I hate to think that she peaked as a Junior but, that has been the case up to this point.